Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#134332 02/26/01 07:24 PM
M
M
Okay! Okay! First of all I did not mean to say that I would want Waterboy to get hurt by a Shark. "Sorry" if it looked that way but I do not want this to happen to him. I also understand that a few people spear fishing would not have much impact. I guess I am just sensitive when it comes to killing anything for the pure pleasure. I know there are horrible commercial fishing practices and I should be concerned about those which I am. I have no problem with people fishing but Tourists with spearguns are a scary thought for me and saying that divers do more damage crunching coral is not fair. Sorry if my post was offending. Next time I keep my thoughts to myself.

#134333 02/26/01 07:33 PM
M
M
Okay! Okay! First of all I did not mean to say that I would want Waterboy to get hurt by a Shark. "Sorry" if it looked that way but I do not want this to happen to him. I also understand that a few people spear fishing would not have much impact. I guess I am just sensitive when it comes to killing anything for the pure pleasure. I know there are horrible commercial fishing practices and I should be concerned about those which I am. I have no problem with people fishing but Tourists with spearguns are a scary thought for me and saying that divers do more damage crunching coral is not fair. Sorry if my post was offending. Next time I keep my thoughts to myself.

#134334 02/26/01 08:18 PM
M
M
So sorry for double posting and again sorry if my post offended!

#134335 02/27/01 12:15 AM
E
Edd Offline
E
Munichchick,
Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. I know that it is very difficult for non-hunters/fishermen to understand how it is possible for hunters/fishermen to also be rabid conservationists. But, for the most part, we are. We love the outdoors, nature, the ocean, and we spend a large portion of our lives enjoying the beauty of nature, and paying to protect it. I know its hard for some to understand, for instance, that without deer hunting, whitetailed deer would almost certainly be extinct in the U.S. Wild turkey would, for sure, be extinct. Without the slightest doubt, most waterfoul species would be extinct in North America without the taxes paid by Duck Stamps and the contributions of hunters to Ducks Unlimited to provide habitat in Canada. The simple fact is that hunters and fishermen pay almost 100% of the cost of preserving the wildlife that we all, non-hunters and non-fishermen included, enjoy. That you cared enough to re-think your original position indicates to me that you are probably not among the radical idiots that blindly oppose sport hunting/fishing without realizing that many/most species would likely dissapear without it. If I came down too hard on you, I apologize. I hope we can continue this philosophical discussion over a Belikin in the near future.
Edd

#134336 02/27/01 09:01 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Damn!!!!!!
I think we all need a team huddle!
I never knew a chat line could be so inspiring.
Thanks Munichchick for showing what a great person who you obviously are, and I certainly would like to join both of you for a Belikin someday soon.

#134337 02/27/01 12:12 PM
Munichchick,
I have to say, killing stuff upsets me too, but my husband works for a conservation organization and has explained conservation to me over the years, and Edd does make a lot of sense. Fish and animal populations can grow unbalanced and out of control and then upset the balance of other species. For example, on the wildlife preserve that he runs, the wild hogs and alligators can get overpopulated since there are no real natural predators for them around here anymore. (Bobcats, mountain lions etc. have been exterminated a long time ago.) They degrade the habitat for the rest of the critters. Then they die off. Like a domino effect. These populations have to be kept in balance. (Since we've upset the balance already by exterminating the bobcats, ocelots and mountain lions) It's interesting, but no less upsetting. It finally made sense to me few years ago, and now I don't get as upset as I used to. I'm just thankful that there ARE people out there that are paying attention and that care. [Linked Image]
Debbie

#134338 02/27/01 05:48 PM
M
M
Waterboy, Edd, Dallas and Debbie!
Group Hug!!!!!
It would be nice to meet all of you for a Belikin. I know I will have Belikins with Debbie for sure already. We will be on AC in June will you guys be there as well? We live here in Southern California and it is so hard to watch everything being so over built
and over populated. They are building whole city's in mountain lion areas and than people complain because there is a mountain lion or coyoty in their yard and they want it killed. Right now it is raining and the run off going into the ocean is just horrible. It is very frustrating to watch all this and more.
This is where I get my frustrations. I think am ready to move to Belize where things might not be perfect but still much healthier than here. In Germany we have a deer problem because there are no predators so every year a certain amount of them get's hunted and killed and the hunters have to pay big $$$. Even so I could never watch this or want to be part off I do understand that it must be done. Hey, I am a meat eater and love Seafood!!!!! But I would never eat certain endangered fish/meats and I boycot Norwegion products because of the whaling. For the longest time I would not eat Tuna because of the Dolphins but now we have Dolphin save Tuna and I will eat those brands. Waterboy be careful with the bleeding fish so because I saw several large Bullsharks in the Lighthouse Reef area.

#134339 02/27/01 10:11 PM
D
D
Waterboy, video and film happen to be what I'm a technician in. Look me up when you get here, I'm not hard to find. Just ask around for Dallas Dave, it's a small town. I also have a small recording sudio for audio dubbing ect. Sure I'd love to tip a few with the whole gang. As we used to say in Texas, Y'all Come!

#134340 02/28/01 06:37 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the tip Munchchick.
I know how you feel about the Urban Creep syndrome. I now live in Johannesburg, South Africa, and the reason I love it there, is the fact that half an hour out of town you can still find beautiful open land. But even this is changing, and the unregulated dumping and polluting into our rivers that run past and through our city is just so sad.

I will be in Belize for a day in april, however I will try and make it through to AC in June for a month, as I hear it is really nice that time of year. Now that I know you eat fish, may suggest that we all get together for a Beach Fish Barbecue (hopefully I will supply the fish, unless a big Bully gets me first!!!!!!!!! )

Dave,
Long shots do sometimes pay off! I will definately look you up. I will bring a sample or two of the housing system when Im in Belize next.
My name is Roland and my Mail address is [email protected]

#134341 02/28/01 03:18 PM
M
M
South Africa! How cool, always wanted to visit that beautiful country and national parks with all the wildlife. Beach BBQ sounds great. Debbie is having her Birthday BBQ at BC's on June 10th. We will all be there. I hope you can make it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.