Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13433 12/01/00 01:36 PM
G
geral Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm heading to Belize for my New Year's vacation, will be a ween en AC but would like to go the jungle as well.. maybe on the way to Tikal.. Any suggestions?? places to stay?? is San Ignacio worth it?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

#13434 12/01/00 05:22 PM
B
B
The Lamaimi Mayan ruins with Tashini tours and Daniel Nunez is worth the $125us cost a 7a to 7p affair, if you don't want to go for the Full Monty at Tikal. That will run you $350 us, as you have to fly. Lamanai entails a boat ride to mainland, then up the river thru mangrove swamps where you take a bus to a boat where you continue upriver to the lake where the ruins stand. I went alone as my wife wanted to beach it for tyhe day and I really enjoyed it. She, I think, would have found it too arduous--the boat to bus to boat to walk to boat to bus to boat part, all without modern conveniences[there was one bathroom break. The only downside is that there is not much time at the actual ruin; you do a lap of the place and have to turn around to get back in time. Cold belikans on the return trip, though. All in all a good value and a great short course in riparian flora & fauna, jungle habitat, and outstanding Mayan ruins with excellent guides.

#13435 12/01/00 09:31 PM
I personally think it's a shame to visit Belize and not spend some time on the mainland (unless you're coming back soon and can concentrate on just one area).

San Ignacio itself is a pleasant little town of 13,000 or so people. Don't expect too much, but it's nice for a day or two. And there's really a lot to do around San Ignacio -- caving, hiking, rivering, visiting the Pine Ridge, seeing the Zoo and butterfly farms, horseback riding, etc.

Keep in mind that not all jungle lodges are in "real" jungle. Many of those in cottage country around Cayo are in or near cleared land, citrus farms and ranchland.

For more of a jungle experience, think about places like Ek 'Tun, Black Rock, Jaguar Paw, and Pook's Hill.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#13436 12/04/00 11:16 AM
S
S
About a month ago, we did the same trip -- Surf 'n Turf. We spent our 'jungle' time at Ian Anderson's Caves Branch And we loved it. Check them out at www.cavesbranch.com -- I think it is more rustic and more for the 'adventurous spirit' than those Lan mentioned but we decided that before we were past 'middle' age, we must do this -- cave tubing and the Black Hole Drop -- awesome! I must say it is now one of our most positive, memorable travel experiences!

http://www.roughwriters.com Smooth communications in all media
#13437 12/06/00 02:53 PM
G
geral Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you all for your tips!!! I'm getting really really excited about my trip to Belize!!! I am definitely going to the jungle!!! After a week of "diving" it will be a nice change!!! Thanks again

#13438 12/12/00 06:27 PM
M
M
We also did the reef and rainforest thing and stayed at Hidden Valley Inn in Cayo. It was outstanding...we had a personal tour guide to and through Tikal and it was definitely the way to go. We felt like VIP visitors and didn't pay through the roof. I highly recommend the Inn!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.