Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#134526 - 03/01/01 03:01 PM More stupid questions
munichchick Offline
Is it true that there is no unleaded gas in Belize? Doesn't Belize get Pemex gas from Mexico? I am just asking because we would like to eventually drive to Belize in our Dodge Durango and we need unleaded which is no problem in Mexico. Do you still have to pay the high import tax even so you will take the truck back to the US after several month. Could you stay 10 month and keep the truck without paying import duty? Can you get a Dodge serviced by car repair places or car dealers in Belize?

#134527 - 03/02/01 05:01 PM Re: More stupid questions
munichchick Offline
Does anyone have any info about my questions?
We would be parking the truck at a local mainland car rental company's secure car lot and pay them a fee for that service while we are on AC. Already found a place that would let us park.

#134528 - 03/02/01 11:35 PM Re: More stupid questions
jesse would probably know. his email is something like "investinbelize.com". it might be on the home page.

#134529 - 03/03/01 03:15 PM Re: More stupid questions
kcbc Offline
Of course Belize has unleaded gas readily available country wide at all the service stations. Might check out Belize Forums where there just was a discusssion on importing vehicles and duty. Plenty of auto parts stores nationwide. Service in case of a major problem would probably be your chief concern. Belize does have a Ford, Suziki and Mitsubishi dealership but no Dodge as far as I know. Hope this helps

#134530 - 03/05/01 02:33 PM Re: More stupid questions
munichchick Offline
Thank you for the info! This is good news. I am not planing on importing our Durango. We would take it back to the US with us. Now I just need to find out how the leasing bank feels about us taking the truck to Belize for
a while. Yikes!

#134531 - 03/05/01 03:07 PM Re: More stupid questions

Have you considered a time honored American tradtion? Don't tell 'em. Remember, most times it is far more desirable to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission.

I have watched this topic with a certain amount of interest, and still have the same question. Why?

#134532 - 03/05/01 08:43 PM Re: More stupid questions
munichchick Offline
I have sure thought of not telling them but I have read that you have to present the title or in case of a lease a letter from the leasing bank at the boarder stating that you have approval to take the truck to Mexico/Belize. I know we can get an approval letter for trips to Baja Mexico but not sure about other parts of Mexico and Belize. Has anyone done this before?

#134533 - 03/05/01 08:52 PM Re: More stupid questions
munichchick Offline
ChooChoo! To your question why. We are thinking about moving to Ambergris Caye but are in the checking into everything stage right now. We would be going back to California at least one month out of the year and have a dog and cat to transport. We think it would be better to drive and we like to have our own transportation since we would also like to spend some free time on the Belize mainland and the Mexican Caribbean area. Also we always have to have a car in California. Renting cars for long periods of time is very expensive. I checked into it. Right now we have not made any decisions but need to know what would be possible and what not. In June when we visit Belize again we will get a better idea how things would be for us moving there and either starting a small business or working for someone else etc. Any helpful tips would be welcome.

#134534 - 03/06/01 07:32 PM Re: More stupid questions
MangoMonkey Offline

We have researched for over three years,
about moving our business,residing and put everything cataloged and binded. Let's see four binders,three video's, 7 + books, and a lots of printed e-mail material from many places and people.

We also considered the idea of driving down but after weighing the costs and all what's involved decided to just sell the van and use the money to get a vehicle there.
First,you might read Rick's web site: www.belizenorth.com
Rick is not in AC but gives some insite(I printed it out and then read,less time on the net) Start with that. Then you can go from there. By the way we are located in Califronia also and are moving in June. If we can be of any help.or have questions that we can answer. e-mail at
Good luck!

#134535 - 03/07/01 04:05 PM Re: More stupid questions
munichchick Offline
MangoMonkey! Thank you. Any help is highly appreciated. I will e-mail you.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 76 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.