Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
chrisk Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks to all who responded to my previous post.
Here's more specifics on what I was told by the Banana Beach resort. "Banana Beach is located on the beach area known as Mar De Tumbo. There is a natural cut in the reef in front of Mar De Tumbo. This allows actual waves to enter inside the reef & wash up on the beach. The wave action does not allow seagrass to grow like it does in the still areas. The water is also deeper & this area is a very popular swimming area."
Although, I am coming to AC for snorkeling, which I found awesome, it would be nice to have a beach as described above.
Please advise if any of you have seen or are aware of this beach. If it exists, it would be a real plus!!
Thanks again for your help.

D
D
Ok... it's just me again, the blonde tourist from bbrrrland. I was getting really concerned about the seaweed issue, which I'm sure most of you who live there or visit often are tired of hearing of, BUT....this is an important issue for me, seeing as how what I need/want most is a floatie in the water just off the beach. You know, I want to do the movie star thing.... hard body (lol) long hair blowing in the wind, walking slowly off the beach into the water...trip LOL..(ok, so I"m blonde and clutzie!!!lol)... ok, so I can dream ... But seriously, I do want a nice beach and to be able to swim in that beach right off shore. I searched this site and found an old post. So, this might answer yours and my questions Chris.....I'm bummed, cuz as much as I have fallen in love with the people and pix of the island, this is what I was really needing and searching for. I read somewhere on here about Playa Del ?? and how beautiful their beaches/water is, but I don't want the total touristy thing. I know AC is all about diving, etc, but... like I said, I also need the water!!! This blonde tourist wanna be isn't asking to bother anyone with this question, but just posting what I found. But again, any input is appreciated!!! thanx AGAIN!!! .....diann
//ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum4/HTML/002326.html

[This message has been edited by diann (edited 03-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by diann (edited 03-27-2001).]

Chrisk,

I've stayed at Banana Beach resort at least 4 times over the last 3 years. What the resort told you is quite true. I've had the pleasure of swimming in that area many times, and because of the wave action due to the cut in the reef, the seagrass or turtle grass is much less as said. You will not find a beach with absolutely no seagrass but Mar de Tumbo has much less than most of the others.

The resort is telling it like it is.

**Jim
sandcrab@bigfoot.com

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 03-27-2001).]

**Jim
M
M
I have to admit even so Playa del Carmen has become too touristy but you can't beat the Beaches and clear turqoise water along the Riviera Maya. It is like swimming in a glass of Gin! This is why we have been to the area 9 times and always find a almost lonly Beach with our VW Bug. But we fell for Belize last September because of other reasons. So this year we will be on AC in June and get our Beach fix along the Riviera Maya in September. We might come over to AC for 3 nights so and make it a combo trip. AC would be still a great place to live with the Riviera Maya Beaches so close for little Getways!!! Perfect!

Since this post seems to be centered on the banana beach condos, I'd like to ask a few questions of my own.

I've organized a group of 4 couples in their late 20's - early 30's from philadelphia that will be staying at BB from May 10th to the 20th. There are two certified divers, 4 wannabe's who would like to try it at least once, and two who say "no f****ing way".

Question 1 : Are there blenders in the condo units?
Question 2 : Are there stereo systems in the units?
Question 3 : Once and for all, is the beach clear of seagrass?
Question 4 : I have read in this board that it's better to bring your own coffee to Belize.. is that true?

Another question I have is not really BB related, but I'll throw it in anyway:

What would be a suggestion for one of the couples who wants to spend a night in the jungle away from the rest of the group? we would like to see some ruins, maybe do the mayan cave tubing, see the inland blue hole... any suggestions?

Look out belize, here comes trouble

A
A
Hi PhillyTodd!

I hate to renavigate the topic of the original post but I saw your post and felt I had to reply!

I'm no Belize expert but I just returned from 9 days in AC just last weekend:-(
I am also in my mid twenties and from the Philly area (MainLine).

I had the most amazing time of my life while I was in Belize. I can't say enough about the beauty and unique characteristics of Ambergris Caye. I didn't do the cave tubing you were referring to but you can find lots of resources on this site about tubing on the mainland. I did do a mainland ruin tour that involved much drinking and a really fun tour guide!

I could go on forever about how much fun I had and the cool people I met. The least of your worries should be the seagrass! I was a bit concerned that it might impose, but there are plenty of piers for swimming off of if you are in town. I was at the beach at Banana Beach one day and it was very nice, but I also thought that many of the piers in town were suitable for swimming too. Once you actually see it, you will notice that the grass is very short and not really a big deal.

If you are motivated to head up north one day, the pool at Captain Morgan's is open to the public. I didn't care for the beaches up north but this pool was great and a bar right on deck! I realize you don't go to Belize to swim in pools but my point is, there are many lovely locations for getting wet. Just roam up the beach!

As for your advanced warning that trouble is coming to town....there is lots of night life on the island. The bikini mud wrestling contest at Barefoot Iguana was pretty wild and the nightclub is a lot like many you will find in Philly (minus the Philly attitude factor:-)

Okay....you can sense my enthusiasm, right?
Let me know if you need a local perspective and we can email or meet for a beer or something.

[This message has been edited by AC Beach Bum (edited 04-10-2001).]

A
A
PhillyTodd,

One more thing...one of the day trips we took included a trip to the Maruba Day Spa in the jungle. It was so awesome!!! I know they have rooms there and the atmosphere is very romantic and pure indulgence (full body mud baths--ahhhh!) Watch out for the viper rum shots though- woo! I thought that this would be a good place for a quick one night trip away from AC because it is easily accessible and does not take that long to get to, many of the tour operations are making trips there daily as part of a mainland ruin tour-- I highly reccommend going with Searious Tours, the guides are funny and knowledgable.

And I grew pretty fond of the coffee at Ruby's Hotel in town and Cafe Ole is a nice cappuccino bar near the airstrip. Just my one time visitor opinion. Anyone else agree with these choices?

F
F
*seriously*

I can't believe all this commotion about seagrass. it is such a non issue, except if your one of the guys that has to rake it up in the morning.

the only thing remotely interesting about it is sticking you hand down on it at night and seeing the bio-luminesance (sp?)

this meesage created by 100% recycled electrons
AC Beachbum:

Thanks for your info. I'm not too worried about seagrass, but some of the girls in our group voiced a concern...they'll survive either way, i'm sure. Tim, the manager from Banana Beach, saw my posting and responded to the questions... he says he has blenders... but does he realize the abuse they are about to take [Linked Image] One of the couples coming along was the first client in their catering companies history to run out of liquor at their reception ( 2 hours before the reception ended).... lock up your cats and daughters, here we come.

Ps.. don't tell the girls about the bikini mud wrestling... they would just want to join in and ruin our fun [Linked Image] The fun part about bikini mud wrestling is seeing women you DON"T know ripping each other's clothes off in the mud.

I appreciate the info you gave me.. specifically about the spa.. that sounds like something to investigate further.

As for the meeting up locally, it doesn't look good. I"m a project manager for IBM/Lotus and travel nationwide Monday through Friday so I'm never around, although I'll drink a beer tonight at happy hour and pretend we're talking [Linked Image]

thanks again.

Better Belize IT

A
A
Todd,

Glad to help. I never thought I'd be a message board freak, especially AFTER coming back from vacation, but there is just something about this place and the people.....

As for the mud wrestling, I was nearly suited up when this one girl's friend changes her mind and decided to be on her tag team. How unfortunate for this girl that she wound up getting her whole suit ripped off!! THe crowd went crazy and she was a really good sport about it. You'll love it!

I'm a little too social and always looking to meet new people, but I guess any pictures I have are just as good as any you can see online here, with the exception of 4 girls topless sunbathing....better BELIZE IT is right! Have a really good time!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.