Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13523 01/08/01 11:32 PM
K
KatS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I need help. I am planning a trip to Belize with my boyfriend for one week and the more I read the more confused I get. We both dive but also want to experience the mainland (rivers, zoo, ruins, kayaking etc.). Do you recommend staying in 2 two different areas? If so, what town or recommended hotels. I heard AC is quite touristy then again I don't want to miss out. I thought about Dangriga to be centrally located but I have read many negative things. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Kat

M
M
We just did 8 days in December, 4 in the jungle area in Cayo and 4 on AC. It was definitely the best of both worlds and I highly recommend it. We stayed at the Hidden Valley Inn in Cayo and then Victoria House in AC. I didn't find San Pedro touristy at all - you'll love it.

The "touristyness" (how's that for a word?) of AC is relative. It is absolutely nothing like Cancun or Cozumel, but it does have friendly people and enough to see and do to keep you from getting stir crazy. Placencia is another beach/scuba spot in Belize that has nothing but a couple places to stay. The people on AC are so wonderful and it's nice to have the option of going out at night to bet on the Chicken Drop or learn to Punta dance without seeing a single American franchise like Planet Hollywood.
I did a surf & turf vacation to Belize last May and stayed on AC for a few days to dive, then went to the Maruba Jungle Spa for horseback riding in the jungle, trips to Mayan ruins, and of course, spa treatments
;-)
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.

quite touristy ---
NOT SAN PEDRO!
A/C HAS: Charming, quaint, warm, friendly PEOPLE. It is relatively inexpensive with plenty to do or do nothing. There is a wonderful wide variety of delicious food at reasonable to cheap prices. The diving is good off the reef, great on the walls of the outer islands. Lots of tour operators that will take you to jungle, rivers, snorkle etc.

WHAT IT DOESN'T HAVE:
Tall buildings, big self contained resorts, cultivated beaches, too many ugly Americans.
Thanks God!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
B
B
Try this

3 or 4 days in Maya Beach at the Singing Sands Inn for a romantic getaway. Swinging hammocks, lucious food, interesting guests, and just enough alternate places on the beach to occupy you[$125USper night]. Also plenty of tours to choose from--Monkey River at $50 us is a good value as is Cocksconb Basin. Then Fly To Bze City and onto San Pedro as you will be ready for some rowdy entertainment. I would stay at a cheaper place in SP as you will spend a lot of time out and about.

S
S
Hey Big Frank, where is Maya Beach located at?

K
K
Try this one : Hamanasi at Hopkins Village, just south of Dangriga... Great diving to all 3 atolls, great inland excursions (Sittee river canoeing, jaguar preserve, Xunantunich, Mayflower...) You get both diving and inland excursions without having to move... Have fun !

B
B
Sunkissed
Maya beach is about 7 miles north of the tip of placencia. My wife, a certified beach lover, will tell you it is a truly lovely stretch of sand with a string or resorts placed thoughtfully about 1 belikin apart from each other. The beach itself is narrow, but the lodges have manicured spectacularly natural seeming areas. As Lan Sluder will tell you, the area is not so much a town as a string of resorts

M
M
MINA -

Enjoyed your post of 1.9 that you did 8 days, 4 in the jungle area in Cayo and 4 on Ambergris Caye. This is EXACTLY what my husband and I are thinking.

Please let me hear a review, in detail, of what you thought of the Victoria House - looks very classy and upscale, compared to the other websites/hotels.

Did you like Hidden Valley Inn in Cayo? Is it close to ruins and jungle (we want to go horse back riding thru jungle and take tours to see crocs, monkeys, etc.). Please advise. I know little about this area (mainland). Thanks!

Also, which did you stay at first, and why?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Lori

K
K
Hi,
I lived in Belize 5 years, had a tour operation so know the mainland quite well, then spent several years on Ambergris. I know have a dive shop outside of Pittsburgh. Think I could give you some unbiased information but have questions to help determine which places would best suit your needs. I would definitely spend part of your time in Cayo and then part in either Ambergris or Placencia. Feel free to email me direct at [email protected]

Karen Pasquariello
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.