Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136327 05/24/01 10:16 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi All!

I'll be in AC in less thann two weeks! I can't wait...

My question is about money. I'm a plastic person - I charge everything. I'm under the impression that won't be possible in most places there...do most people bring $ to change to Belizian dollars? or do you just use american dollars? are traveler's cheques an option?

any insight woud help. Thanks!!

#136328 05/24/01 10:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
bring enough cash just in case, but most souvinir (sp) shops, dive shops, & nicer restaraunts take plastic. you will want cash for bars, breakfasts, grocery store, etc.

#136329 05/24/01 10:24 AM
B
B
Us cash is always the right color and is accepted everywhere. IMAHO plastic should be used sparingly--like at hotels for room,bar and food. Traveler checks are good for large items like tours, or meals. They are not difficult to changs BUT banks will charge a fee.

If you need to charge
1]in country airline fees
2]tours[can be a hassle with small operators]
3]hotel bill as they already have your card
Remember Belize exit fee of $20 us per person

#136330 05/24/01 11:16 PM
K
K
Hi, dawn...

We just got back from AC almost 10 days ago and when we go back again we'll bring more cash and/or traveler's cheques! Like others have said - plastic works great for hotels, dive trips, more expensive restaurants and most gift shops...but would bring more cash/cheques next time (or spend less - never!!) for grocery stores, street vendors, less expensive restaurants, tips, etc. Traveler's cheque cashing tip: Western Union on Front St. (Castleberry, Ltd.) worked great for cashing my traveler's cheques (better rate than the local banks). I believe they are open 7 days a week - although hours are limited on Sundays - so check their schedule.
You'll have a wonderful trip!!! Belize it$$$!
Most importantly...the best things in AC are free...the warmth of the sunshine...wonderful people...music and laughter filling the air...still have sand in my shoes and a song in my heart. Can't ya tell?! Enjoy!!

Lynne

#136331 05/25/01 12:17 AM
KC Offline
Hi Dawn -- I have worked for a plastic surgeon for 15 years. Maybe you know him... Does Mark Jewell ring any bells? Have a great time in Belize!

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#136332 05/25/01 03:28 AM
Personally, I try to bring as much cash as I can. Using plastic will incurr a 5% surcharge in many of the island's establishments. You do not have to exchange your $$ as both US and Belizean $$ are accepted. However, when you pay is US, be prepared to receive a mixture of US and BZ in return in your change.

I usually save all the BZ money for the departure tax at the airpport.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.