Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Topic Options
#13757 - 02/21/01 04:20 PM Supplies for Caye Caulker School
bzgial Offline
As many of you are aware, Belize suffered a setback last year with the arrival of Keith (and myself -I got to Belize on the same day as Keith and since I live in ”hurricane alley” coastal NC most of the time, I am now blamed by all my friends and family in Belize for Keith). So now it is time to try to make restitution.

I formed an affiliation with Caye Caulker school through a local H.S. group that I take on annual marine studies trips to Belize each year. We adopted the school as one that we would take supplies and educational materials to each year and also present conservation awareness programs.

The school was extensively damaged last year during Keith and is still not completed as yet. In the meantime the students are crammed into a small building and you can just imagine how disheartening it must be for almost 300 1st – 8th graders to not have a school to attend for their school year (remember – they have been displaced since October).

Through a Belizean friend also living in the US, with a home on Caye Caulker, I managed to get a message to the principal about the needs of the school and she sent me a list of supplies that are needed. The list is as follows:

*Teacher's Edition, Pupils Text & Activity books for science, grades 1 - 8.
1. Discover Science
2. Health for Life

*Math and Reading books with activities to help teachers plan activities to assist in the teaching of Mathematics and Reading (grades 1 - 8)

*Coronamatic typewriter cartridge by Smith & Corona

*Art and Craft supplies- pipe cleaners, felt, glue, scissors, paints, paint brushes, construction paper, glitter, glue guns, glue sticks, string beads, activity books

*Sewing supplies - needles, thread, buttons, zippers, measuring tapes, pins

*Cooking supplies (for cooking club) - spatula, measuring cups, spoons, misc. cooking utensils and supplies,
refrigerator

*For the library - education videotapes, audiotapes, story books.

*Science posters - digestive, skeletal, muscular, nervous, models of heart, eye, ear, plants, flowers, planetary charts, animals, rocks and soils, sound and light

*Other supplies - masking tape, rulers, Velcro, crayons, Globes, ruled index cards (asst. sizes and colors), yard stick, blackboard rulers - yellow

*Medical supplies for children ages 5-14
Pepto-Bismol, Tylenol, Hydrogen peroxide, iodine, hydrocortisone cream, gauze, Band-Aids, cloth bandage (brown), eyedrops, eardrops

*Funds for a security fence for the school. I do believe the village council is trying to raise the funds for the fence and have established a Caye Caulker Village Council Kids Relief Fund. I am still trying to verify this and will post a new message on this soon.

Many of you are travelling to Belize on vacations this year and I urge you to pick up a few of these items on the list and stop by town hall or the temporary school if you will be visiting Caye Caulker. Our contacts at town hall are Mrs. Irene Miller or Mr. Furmin Marin. At the school, the principal is Mrs. Neldy Rosado and the assistant principal is Mrs. Chan.

Already donated is one new sewing machine and supplies for the sewing club and I believe Reggie and his wife are taking arts and crafts supplies. I will periodically try to update you on what has been donated and what is needed.

Thank you,
Gail Bradley Miller
Sea Studies International and UnBelizeable Adventures
ssibze@prodigy.net or unbelizeable@btl.net

#13758 - 03/02/01 02:14 AM Re: Supplies for Caye Caulker School
rickcheri Offline
If you need help getting these supplies down, when you get them, Please email us at RickCheri@Hotmail.com and I'll give you the info and help to get them to Caye Caulker, we have a great connect to get them there...Thanks, Rick

#13759 - 03/02/01 10:52 PM Re: Supplies for Caye Caulker School
bzgial Offline
WOW!!!
Thanks for the offer Rick. I will definitely take you up on it.

#13760 - 03/03/01 07:47 AM Re: Supplies for Caye Caulker School
rickcheri Offline
Thanks----
Please email us and let us know where you all are out of and maybe we can make it easier to get these supplies down from where you all are at... Rick

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (mickdiver, Michael Schultz, 1 invisible), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,370 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day