Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#137782 08/20/01 10:10 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Be warned - I am also posting this on the Caye Caulker message board, because this has happened there too. If y'all want to delete this, fine.
We feel personally that too many threads get deleted off both of these message boards. I'm not blaming any one moderator, but on the Caye Caulker boards, posts about safety problems were deleted.
On this board things are getting deleted constantly.
Now, it's one thing if someone uses the F-word to edit that out of the post, but we feel personally that very informative things are being deleted only because they may put Belize in a bad light.
It seems as if the only posts that are accepted are the ones about whether or not Banana Beach is better than the Sundiver. Sure this is informative, but isn't safe diving and personal safety while visiting the islands also important.
Marty, Sandshaker, I know y'all have difficult jobs, but could you try to be more discriminating? The Caye Caulker posts may have been BS in your eyes, but I would rather go down there being overprotective and misinformed, as opposed to having harm done to me or my family!
Let me just tell you - DisneyWorld doesn't even delete negative posts from their happiest place on earth boards.
This may stir the pot, and we're sorry if this angers y'all, but it needs to be said without acrimony.
Thanks,
Jeanne & Bill

#137783 08/21/01 10:03 AM
Jeanne & Bill,
Did you have another post about Caye Caulker? I just saw the CC thread you started in the "About other parts of Belize" section about safety on CC. It's still there. What is it that you say has been deleted about CC? And, why the "warning" about posting on the CC message board? Seems some people think the admins are delete-happy and are just looking for some deleting to do to fill their time. I'd be willing to bet that's not the case! Give 'em a break, people. They're trying their best to give us a great forum to express what we love (and even the not so perfect things) about AC and Belize. We should appreciate it. I, for one, do. Cheers.

[This message has been edited by IslandJunkie (edited 08-21-2001).]

#137784 08/21/01 12:03 PM
A
A
Hi Guys,

I read the topic you started about Caye Culker...maybe I jumped in too late but I did not see where something was deleted.

What I did see was another reference to the individual who has been known to terrorize this message board and other boards with "horror stories", which serve to scare off people just like you, who are looking to take their family there to vacation.

The people who run this board do an excellent job of moderating it. Really!! Compare it to other boards that contain meaningless ramblings (far more out of control than the "Shots??" thread), a complete lack of oversight or maintenace, and an enormous lack of interest in answering questions. Have you ever seen a site with SOOO many pictures and updates! It's amazing!

I plan to leave for a vacation to Jamaica in two weeks. I have been very disappointed in the lack of good, quality information I have found on the Internet. Message Boards?? None to be found. All I can find is a few comments on Frommers.com and a lot of them are negitive. Does this mean I should not go to Jamaica? Probably not. I go with the assumption that I will need to be slightly defensive, but where in the world can you go and NOT be a little cautious.

I guess what I am trying to say is that this board is run extremely well. For every bad post, legitimate or otherwise, there are no less than a hundred good ones. A lot of time and energy is put out by those that keep this site up and running. This site is intended to PROMOTE AC and Belize, that is why it is endorsed by the tourism bureau. You can't let bad press run rampant, especially when it cannot be verified. Is this site biased? Of course it is. Is a fair effort made to give some leniency to everyone? Yes, it is.

I value your concerns very much, just like I value all of the knowledgable views of the experienced divers, but if negitivity is allowed to permeate the threads of this board, then no one will endorse it or want to be affiliated with it and BUH BYE site....and that would really be ashame.

I hope no one accuses me of that so called "ostrich syndrome" because I definitely do see both sides of any issue I have read here. I am, however, part of that small camp that feels that endless discussion about negitive things is just not appropriate. Enjoy this site for what it is. Thanks.
Megan
A Beach Bum

#137785 08/21/01 01:53 PM
F
F
What part of Jamaica are you going to? I like Jamaica, it's such a green place. Columbus called it the most beautiful island he'd ever seen.

Just love that Blue Moutain coffee!

Anyway, I go to Negril now and then. Check out http://www.negriltoday.com/ They have a message board. It's in an older format (thank goodness for EZBoard) but it has some interesting threads.

I think the General Chat area, where one may range more freely with less (ideally almost no) deleting, is working well for all concerned.

#137786 08/21/01 03:15 PM
A
A
Hey Florian,

Thanks for the link! I stumbled upon some more great sites from your link! I will be in Montego Bay, but hopefully I will make a day trip to Negril. Is it far? Is a day trip possible? Getting excited and wishing I had a nice little website liek this to hold my hand through the planning.

I hate to seem critical of those that have legitimate concerns...I am not trying to trivialize a crime issue or any other serious situation. Please don't read so much into the editing thing....people are doing the best they can to provide a great site to new visitors to Belize.

Jeanne and Bill-- if you had read information on this board about vicious crime before your trip to AC, you never would have married there-- think about what a beautiful and memorable experience you would have missed out on if you shyed away because of unfounded comments posted on an unmonitored message board.

Thanks again.

#137787 08/21/01 04:07 PM
I said it before...and I'll say it again...

RARELY...do I delete anything from this board! Matter of fact....can't remember the last time I did.

I read just like the rest of you...I may not always comment...but I do read.

If I see something completely out of control....I'll delete it...have no problem with doing that.
BUT...if I do...I will copy it and send it to Marty....he can decide to either leave it off or re-instate it.
If an email is provided by the poster....I also email them with an explaination.

Please don't assume any one particular administrator is removing posts.

Thanks! [Linked Image]

#137788 08/21/01 04:39 PM
F
F
Hmmm, well, I don't know. Negril is a a couple of hours drive from Mo Bay on (what was) really rather bad roads. Paved, but narrow, slow.

If it were me I'd just hang in Mo Bay for a week. I think Negril is worth at least a week on it's own. I've spent several months there in all. I didn't really get tired of it.

It's the Nashville of Reggae. Never know who you might run into there. I met Bono there. Jimmy Cliff too. Diving sucks though, real bad. At least it did.

When I first went to Negril there was only one really big resort. Hedonisim II. What a party. Man, the stories I could tell (but won't).

As the years went by, Sandals and Lido and Couples and about a dozen other major resorts went in. I think we're talking thousands of hotel rooms.

It got to where the bay smelled bad in the afternoon when the tide and wind were right (which was most every day).

I don't know how it is now, but in '93, the last time I went, I got THE ear infection from hell. Just wasn't enough sewer system to handel it all, and so the bay ended up taking the overflow.

It was fished out too. A reef with hardly any fish on it is a strange thing to see, a sad thing. So I quit going.

I hope it's better now. I think it is.

I know Mo Bay always had a better infrastructer then Negril.

I hope you have a great trip and a safe return.

PS ... another one you can try is http://www.negril.com

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited 08-21-2001).]

#137789 08/21/01 04:40 PM
Sandshaker, Marty, other admins,
Ya'll are doing a great job. We're behine ya(At least the vast majority of us are)! Keep up the good work & thanks for all you do to make this a great message board!

AC Beach Bum - you'll be missed around here while you're in Jamaica. Have an awesome trip!

[This message has been edited by IslandJunkie (edited 08-21-2001).]

#137790 08/21/01 10:24 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey. Don't get us wrong, we're behind all the admins! I wouldn't want their job.

I'm talking about some posts on the Caye Caulker message board, a different site, some of the same people. There were some negative messages, and I was curious.

Negative posts are not going to keep me from doing anything. We were thinking about taking the family to the Adriatic part of Croatia for awhile.

All I'm tryiong to say is that if it raises awareness, it can't be too bad.

I wouldn't stay away from Belize because on one persons experience; I just want to know what I'm dealing with.

We loved Belize, want to move to Belize, raise our kids in Belize! It is great! I know that you are going to have problems anywhere you go, I just wanted to know what level of concern I need. I know you would all agree that it is easy to be seduced by the tranquility and majesty of Belize. I just don't want to be *too* seduced so I let my guard down. Ya know?

#137791 08/22/01 09:08 AM
A
A
Thanks Island Junkie! Sometimes I feel like the opinionated moron that wont go away [Linked Image]

Florian, the sewage system problem sounds icky....I am getting a mixed bag of responses about vacationing there, but I believe it must be experienced at least once, right? I'll take your advice about not trying to be too ambitious about getting to Negril...no worries. My jaw dropped when I read that you had met Bono there-- I am a U2 FREAK-- I would have been in awe! Oh wow!!
Oh, and Florian, you don't strike me as the Hedonism type! I was amused!

J & B-- I have read your previous posts about moving to Belize-- I do know you love it there....didn't mean to make you feel like you needed to defend yourself. Croatia though-- that sounds awesome! BTW- I am taking my 10 year old to Jamaica, it will just be the two of us. A lot of friends and family think I am really unwise to do this because of safety and the possibilty of a medical emergency, especially since I am a young and attractive female. I completely understand those concerns, but I feel that the benefits and rewards far outweigh the potential risk. Good luck in your decision making process though. Ask Florian all about managing your finances if you live there-- he'll tell ya all about it! LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.