Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JAG Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We will be spending a week at Manta Resort in July and arrive back in Belize City on Sat. afternoon. Our return flight back to NJ is Sunday at 3pm. I've read there's not much to see in the city. Any suggestions on what we can see/do in this limited time frame?

I think a lot of people would say the best thing to do in Belize City is to get out as quickly as possible.

In fact, there are some interesting sights in the city. The main point of interest is probably the architecture -- the old colonial buildings, especially in the Fort George area, and the ramshackle houses and stores. The city has a wonderful Graham Greene-like ambiance, if you have a taste for that sort of thing. Beyond that there is St. John's Cathedral, the museums at the Marine Terminal, Government House, the Bliss Institute and the Lighthouse.

As for shopping, there's not much. The Image Factory is the best gallery. There's the post office for stamps and the crafts store. Albert Street is the main commercial street.

You can gamble at the Princess Hotel (but don't stay there) and get a good meal at a number of places including Four Fort Street, tghe Smokey Mermaid, Macy's, Three Amigos, Searock and others. Except in the roughest areas, you are okay by day, but after dark take a taxi (it's safe enough to walk short distances in the Fort George area.)

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
M
M
I've had the same layover and I would typically stay at the Chateau Caribbean, Colton House, or Fort St Guest House a night and eat a good meal or two and have a Belikin by the pool at the Radisson. I've done that 3 times and actually like the layover.

M
M
I think a visit to the Belize Zoo is time very well spent. Just 30 miles from Belize City.

Katie Valk
Maya Travel Services

Maya Travel Services
R
R
Belize City is very interesting. If I had but a day there I would call Edgar August, taxi driver and a fine fella.

Edgar can be found hanging out with his cab at the Raddison or just ask for him or look him up in the phone book.

Tell Edgar what you are interested in and he will help you get around, shopping, sightseeing and history. If you have time he could even take you to a jungle lodge for a luncheon.

Belize City has made terrific advancements in the past half-decade. The city is much more clean and the people welcome you graciously.

If you do contact Edgar, tell him Dr. Ray said hello

Ray
S
S
From Belize City you can visit the ruin of Altun Ha which is 30 miles from Belize City. Have lunch, swim, horseback ride or spa treatments at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa. Makes for a great day excursion from Belize City. This was a tour seen on Temptation Island.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.