Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jingles Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My husband and I are planning on spending 3 nights on the mainland and the remaining nights on Ambergris Caye. Has anyone ever stayed at duPlooy's Jungle Lodge. We were hoping to tour Tikal one day and a horseback riding tour another day. I've heard Tikal needs more than one day but we want to fit some other things in on the mainland also. Any thoughts? Would it be better to stay IN Tikal over night or stay at duPlooy's for a more diverse experience? Any other thoughts on a place to stay. Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback.

duPlooy's is a very good place -- lovely grounds with extensive plantings from all over Central America, good birding and wildlife spotting, an orchid house, good food. The accommodations vary from near budget to near luxury, depending on what you pay.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
M
M
With only 3 nts at duPlooys, I'd opt for the day trip to Tikal and spend my other days on horses or canoes, in caves or visiting other ruins. I love duplooys, one of the better lodges in Belize and they offer good value price wise. You'll be very happy there.

Katie Valk
Maya Travel Services

Maya Travel Services
Hello!
We stayed at duPlooy's last year and it was FABULOUS. We had two boys with us, age 11 and 15. They were totally enchanted as were we. The accomodations were beautiful. We stayed in their newer cabanas and they were decorated in Mayan decor, very large and spacious and had a fridge. The bar was a huge deck that hangs out over the jungle canopy. They send fruit out by pully to attract the birds. We saw lots of other critters as well. (Iguana and gibnut) The jungle sounds at night are indescribable. My younger son caught an enormous toad, and came running back to the bar with it. Biggest thing I ever saw. Laughter all around. (of course he let it go)It is right on the Macal River, so swimming was very convenient. The swimming there was almost surreal. There is a tall cliff on the opposite side of the river. It is covered in bromiliads and flowers. Floating in the river looking up was incredible. They have canoes, and you can take them into town. They will pick you up and bring you back. There are botanical gardens on site, and a walk through in the evening is very romantic. They had a large variety of tours. We did the day trip to Tikal and we thought it was more than enough time to see it. The guide they provided us was awesome. Tikal is a MUST. I am so glad we did this. The food was very good. All home made and the bread was to die for. The cooks are a pair of very talented Mayan ladies. You won't go hungry or be disappointed!!!! I highly recommend this place.
Debbie

M
M
Debbie! You did not mention the flowers you received on arrival.....

Munichchick,
Okay smarty pants..... Yes, I did get flowers upon arrival. Immeidately changed out of my traveling clothes into something cooler. Didn't lock or shut the big door. Just a screen door. Little Mayan lady brought them in before I redressed. Didn't knock. Never got flowers in the buff before. She wasn't the least bit perturbed. She even arranged them in the pot on the coffee table. my husband laughed his butt off when she left.......
WELCOME TO BELIZE!!!

M
M
I knew you where going to share this with all of us. Ha, Ha!!!! Love that Mayan Service.

J
jingles Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you so much for all of your replies. This sounds like a GREAT place and we can't wait for this vacation. We aren't going until December so we have a long wait. This board is a wonderful place for information. Do you have to be an experienced canoe person to canoe into town?

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.