Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hi Folks,

I'm going to be heading to Belize mid-October with my girlfriend. We decided not to do the Ambergris Caye/package deal route. Instead we just booked flights, and we'll find accomodations when we arrive. Our plan was to fly to B-city, then immediately to Placencia. We'd like to kayak in the lagoon one day, perhaps go to Monkey River for another day, and maybe a day at Cockscomb. Then we'd like to head out to a caye for several nights and snorkel (her) and dive (me) and sea kayak. We've been looking at Caye Caulker and Tobacco Caye. Then back to Belize and home. (9 days/8 nights) So I have a bunch of questions, and was hoping to get some insight from you all if you would be so kind.

Is it a good idea to go to Placencia at all, considering the damage from last year's hurricane?
If so, can anyone recommend somewhere to stay, that will allow us to pay on a night by night basis? (Our max budget for lodging would be around$80/night)
Should we buy plane tix from B-city to Placencia on-line or when we arrive at the airport in B-city?
Can you get to Caye Caulker or Tobacco Caye from Placencia?
If not, is there another closer caye that has snorkeling/diving/sea kayaking?
Is Turtle Inn open yet?(Maybe spend a night or two in style.)

Okay, thanks in advance for your help.

Peace.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
HEY DAN .... IF YOU DECIDE TO DRIVE.... [mQQse antlers can be hang out the window...]
CAN I HITCH A RIDE
i dont eat much ...juss pull ova and di mi graze...
and ah promise noh fondl fi mi yu gal fren....!

OH... if yur car/truck runs on propane......i can help there too...!!
[i have an adapter that ...although it doesnt fit very comfortabley...it seems to work fine....oh and you'll get a 17 1/2 % increase in mileage too]

let mi kno dude...

jejeje

dannyboy - i'd contact barb @ barbsbelize.com, she was just in placencia not too long ago and can probably help w/your questions. sounds like a great trip!

D
OP Offline
D
Moose, if your antlers were out the window, your butt would still be in the car, and I'm guessing that's the source of your "propane."

Snowbird, thanks for the advice, I'll drop her a line. Also, does anyone know of a good website to get updates for hurricane activity in the area? It's turning out to be a pretty active season...

You will still see some impact of Iris in Placencia, mainly from Seine Bight village south -- debris, a boat or two capsized, "holes" where houses or buildings used to be, missing palms and other trees. But generally things are getting back to normal, and in the Maya Beach area (north on the peninsula) it looks about as it always did.

Turtle Inn will not open until December.

You can just wait until you get to Belize to buy your tickets to Placencia.

You cannot get from Placencia to Caye Caulker except by going back to Belize City. Occasionally somebody arranges a boat from Placencia to Tobacco Caye, but the usual way of getting there is to go to Dangriga and take a boat from there (US$15) -- I recommend Captain Buck.

There are plenty of nice places to stay in Placencia for under US$80. Tradewinds at south point has the best location in Placencia village and little beach cabins are under US$50 double. Barnacle Bill's has two beautiful cabins on the beach at Maya Beach, in your price range, but it is a little away from things if you do not have a car. Not on the water but nice and newish is Manatee Inn at the north end of Placencia village, around US$35 double.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this fall)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Re; Hurricane information

Try www.nhc.noaa.gov

That should get you awful darn close. That's the National Hurricane Center.

Uh....MQQse....LOL I think ole Danny Boy got you figured out! LOL

That was good! laugh

M
M
Danny, You definitly want to go to Placencia, even with the hurricane damage it is still a great place. I would agree with Lan on Barnicle Bills, nice cabins and great people.

We're going to be in Belize right about the same time, going to Hopkins and Placencia and the Cayes. Was at Tobacco Caye in April. rustic but great snorkling and diving. I agree with Lan, find Capt. Buck in Dangriga to take you out there.

Lan, In Placencia, what about Sea Spray for lodging? Thanks for the other recommendations.

Sea Spray is fine. It's a fairly large (for Placencia) moderate/budget hotel on the water in the village. It got some damage from Iris but is back in business. I think a place like Tradewinds, with its little pastel cottages on the beach, has more appeal for most people, for about the same money.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.