Well.....where do I start???????????
God I could write a book right at this moment.
It's 4:51 a.m. and I am reading these posts for the first time. I've been trying to find out what was going on myself since Oct. 1st. I knew they wouldn't open....AGAIN....and that folks would be looking for info and answers.
I still haven't heard any "confirmed" info on exactly where things stand so I won't presume anything. Presuming and assuming has always gotten me in a lot of trouble.....LOL
The facts as I know them are:
1) This project began with a guy who had a vision....a great vision....with a perfect location. Anyone who has been there can atest to that.
2) The guy (Adam) sold lots of timeshare weeks and quarter shares....and for a year and half....sunk it all into building what you see on site today.
3) At some point....things went haywire....for many reasons....and the guy got in over his head. He dumped it and left....leaving a very disappointed and shell shocked friend (ME)....along with many dazed and confused owners.
4) At this point....a personal friend of his who had a sizable chunk of money invested in the project came to Belize to assess the posibility of finishing it. He decided to finish the project on his own.....with his own money....which I might add was not entirely liquid. It has taken great effort to keep things moving along up to this point.
I feel very bad for him at this moment that he sunk all he had into trying to rescue this project.....and for nothing. I admire his effort for trying to do the right thing in the worst of situations. I was afraid of this.
5) Gary Carlson arrived in San Pedro on May 26th to take over the managers position. I have personal issues with Gary but in his defense....he has done an incredible job cleaning up the enormous mess Adam left behind. If he has not responded....I'm sure it is because he is still waiting himself for answers as to what is going to happen.
For those of you that don't know....Gary was one of the very first buyers of a timeshare week at Basil Jones. He bought it off of Ebay for a ridiculous price when it was still just raw land. He followed the project and beleived in it from day one....so I'm sure his disappointment is right up there with the rest of the owners. Not to mention the fact that he sold everything and left the states to take this job. Where he will go and what he will do from this point is a huge delimma I'm sure.
6) RCI did have an affilliation with Basil Jones but I'm sure that was contingent on them opening by a certain date. As of July when I left.....that affiliation was in place. I don't know what happened past that point in terms of RCI.
I am very disappointed to see things come to this end. As most of you know....I spent almost 2 years of my life working and beleiving in this project. It wasn't just a job for me....it became a dream of mine. I saw it finished...with people staying there....eating in the restaurant....going out on dive boats...etc...etc. It was real for me. Then things went sour and I had to face reality and decide if I still wanted to stay with this failing project to the bitter end or count my losses and move on...chaulk it up to a huge learning experience. I was tired and emotionally worn out from constantly worrying about it and defending it in town and to the owners. With hurricane Keith and then the whole bit with Adam...I was emotionally wasted.
I chose to go back to the states and try and have a normal life.
I had a very difficult time dealing with the sudden disappearance of Adam. I'm still having difficulty with that to this day. He had become like a brother to me....and I had no idea what his plan was....I'm not sure if he even did until the last minute. When he left the first week of May....I think he knew he wouldn't be back...but I didn't have a clue....and after not hearing from him for 2 weeks...I still didn't want to beleive he wouldn't come back.
It blew me away that he would leave me in such a position....let alone not even saying goodbye after all we had been through together....very painful! It would have been easier if he had died....at least I could have had a funeral and dealt with it and moved on. This way....it's always there.
If your out there reading this Adam.....and I'm sure you are.....thanks a lot buddy!!!!
With friends like you....who needs enemies???
Enuff about that
To all the owners....
I don't know what to say. Surely they will be contacting you at some point to let you know what your options are...and what their plans are. At least I would hope so.
I'm very sorry that this has happened.....and more sorry that the resort won't open. It would have been a paradise for sure. I've met a lot of really wonderful people during this whole thing...and had a lot of fun with them on our trips. I'm disappointed right along with you.
I miss being there....it was the one place where I could zone out and totally relax.
HELL....if I had the money....I'd buy it myself and finish it!!! Maybe you should all ban together and collectively own it?....I wonder if that's possible?
I was so hoping that Belize would open up to the timeshare industry. I know there are a lot of people who did not want to see that happen....and they have their reasons....some of which may be justified.
But it would have been nice to have just one good resort...a successful one....dedicated to timeshare owners for trade out.
Well...if anyone hears anything...post it.
I'm waiting just like the rest of you for word of what is going on. I too am getting no response from emails.