Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#140016 - 11/13/01 04:57 PM Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
Ann-Marie Offline
I live in Canada and I'm in the process of collecting some kids story books and school supplies to bring to Belize.
We will in Belize on Dec.11th for the day (Regal Cruise)and plan on driving around exploring, we would like these books to be able to go to the kids of the areas that were hit badly by Iris. Is there anyone who can help us find out who/where we can take these books to?
Thanks

#140017 - 11/13/01 07:11 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
Rocio Offline
Good afternoon Ann-Marie, check under topic "Hurricane Info", you may want to repost there.....More later Rocio

#140018 - 11/18/01 06:08 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
silkpainter Offline
Every school in Belize needs supplies. I spoke with a teacher for 5-6 year olds recently from Isla Bonita Academy, a school that just opened last year in San Pedro. The school desperately needs paper, pencils, erasers, crayons, alphabet books, ANY kind of school supply would be appreciated.

Even if you dont make a contact with a school affected by hurricane Iris, bring supplies anyway, if you can, they will be put to good use at any school, public or private.

--Silk www.caribbean-colors.com

#140019 - 11/27/01 03:48 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
Bad Dog Offline
Ann Marie,

There is a current posting on "About AC" listed as School Supplies

#140020 - 11/27/01 04:52 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
seashell Offline
Last year, along with toys and shoes and such, I brought a huge number of pens and pencils. I was going to give them to the school but a local friend of mine told me to give them directly to the children. He said that the school (or the teachers, I couldn't figure out which he meant) would just sell them to the kids. So, I gave them out. The kids sure seemed happy.

This year I'm going to do that again, along with crayons and erasers. I'm taking along some little books too, so I can't take paper as well, it's just too heavy.

I haven't gone looking for shoes (sandals) yet, but I know they sure were a big hit last year.

#140021 - 11/27/01 07:37 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
Anonymous
When we made our first trip last year, I brought a huge duffle bag full of supplies. Some I got on sale, and some things were donated. I went to our local wal-mart and they sent 500 pencils. I also contacted our local banks (notepads and rulers) and hotels (pens and towels??)
They love things that they can't get there, like the window clings for the holidays, etc.
Flash cards were a huge hit, as well as children's books, coloring books, glue sticks and stickers! I also took several videos, some educational, some just fun for the kids.
You will feel so good when you see these kids faces!

#140022 - 11/30/01 09:17 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
Pilgrim Offline
Seashell...am planning my first trip to AC and am bring along "stuff" suitable for elementarty school children. Please share with me the best way to get this "stuff" through customs.

#140023 - 12/01/01 06:17 AM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
seashell Offline
I don't necessarily know the best way. I only know the way that I did it. I had a sports bag with me, that I could leave in Belize. It was chocablock full of little cars, and airplanes, little stuffed animals, little dolls, assorted toys, kid shoes and sandals, pencils, pens, balls, necklaces, etc. I would have preferred to say I had nothing to declare and hope to get a green but it wasn't worth taking the chance. So I stepped up and said that I had gifts for the kids in SP. The guy made me open the bag so he could look at everything. Then he said, "those are lucky kids, Santa" and let me go. Keep in mind this was last year and Hurricane Keith was still pretty fresh in everyoné's mind. It may be the same this year because of Iris.

#140024 - 12/01/01 02:36 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
belizeanblue Offline
Here is a possible way to donate if you do not want to drag things down to Belize: A man called Micky Craig is a manager for The Book Center. It is the biggest bookshop in Belize. He manages a scheme whereby needy children all over Belize receive their school text books for free. (In Belize parents have to buy the texts.) It is dependent on donations for support. If you were to give him a call and pledge a certain amount of money, it would be converted to school textbooks that the child will actually benefit use in his classes everyday. Telephone no for the bookshop is as follows: 501 2 77457

[This message has been edited by belizeanblue (edited 12-01-2001).]

#140025 - 12/01/01 03:48 PM Re: Kids Books and Supplie Donations--Need Name?
rickcheri Offline
if you'd like, email us at rickcheri@hotmail.com...we';ll give you one of the school teachers email address and you can get in touch w/her....C

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Marty, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,083 Topics
462,384 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.