Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Turnbun Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello!
Can someone suggest a place for my new husband and I to stay in the San Ignacio district? We don't want to spend a whole lot of money ($75/night or less?). We'll be there in early Sept. Can we just plan our trip when we get to AC in late Aug? Will there be great deals because it's low season?
Can you cave tube in San Ignacio area? Where/with whom?
Also, can someone recommend a good Tikal tour? We'd rather explore on our own, but I hear it's hard to do that with the border crossing and all. Is there a bus that goes to Tikal from San Ignacio?
Thanks!

M
M
Cave tubing is closer to Belmopan than it is to San Ignaccio. Caves Brnach wil be closed in Sept but Jaguar paw off the Western hywy near the Zoo wil be open. However, some of the more interesting cave trips eminate from San Ignacio: Che Chem Ha, Actun Tunich... and Barton Creek Cave. You can book all these when you arrive in town. You may want to consider Crystal Paradise Resort just outside of town with rates at 75.00 for two with bkft and dinner or in nicer thachted roof cabanas for 95.00 for two with bkft and dinner. They can also arrange all your trips on the river, horses, canoes, ruins and caving. You'l enjoy the Tut family who owne/operate/cook/guide.

Katie Valk
Maya Travel Services

Maya Travel Services
Depending on whether you want to stay in/near town or in a lodge outside of town, among the places I'd recommend you check out are:

In/near town:

Aguada -- best bargain in Cayo at US$25 for a/c room. There's a pool, restaurant and new rooms upstairs.

Martha's -- good locally owned hotel, with restaurant (and laundry).

Log Cab-Inns -- nice Belizean owned place, with pool and individual cabins.

Outside:

Clarissa Falls -- on the Mopan River, friendly, good little restaurant

Crystal Paradise -- I agree with Katie on this one

duPlooy's -- they have moderate/budget rooms in addition to more upscale digs

Chaa Creek camp -- US$50 per person including excellent meals, in their "safari" camp, little units on raised platforms

Prices will be lower than in-season, but the breaks aren't as much in general as at the beach hotels.

There are many tours to Tikal -- several large operators (Windy Hills, Chaa Creek, Maya Mountain, others) plus independents, some of whom you can reach at Eva's restaurant. You can also take a bus or minibus from the Guate side.

There have been some incidents at Tikal recently -- a reported rape and killing -- and there is supposed to be increased security at the park. Check locally when you get there to see what the latest situation is.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.