Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#140604 - 12/16/01 08:13 PM SubSeven Trojan
klcman Offline

I am sure you have nothing to do with this but thought you should know: that at 5:08PM (Belize Time) Sunday, Dec 16 my personal firewall trapped 4 attempts of the SubSeven Trojan eminating from http://www.ambergriscaye.com

I can provide you all the details as to which specific URL I was on at the time, if of any value to you. E-mail me if you have any desire to pursue this.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#140605 - 12/16/01 10:27 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
denverdan Offline
If ya don't mind I sure would like to know... I JUST got back on line!

Hey Chloe... I recieved an e-mail from you about our e-mail change and it has an attachment, should I open it? I read you had problem a bit ago and I don't know what to do. I just hate that tempting stuff. lol

#140606 - 12/16/01 11:09 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
Chloe Offline
Hope, do not open it, I don't think you can in fact. One of Santa's helpers somewhere in cyberspace, was helping me with contacting all of my good friends, by using my address book, without my permission. Sorry.
I have taken care of those helpers now. LOL
Happy Holidays.
Dare To Deviate

#140607 - 12/17/01 12:17 AM Re: SubSeven Trojan
klcman Offline
This was NOT an e-mail attachment- it was an attempt to gain access to the computer directly for God only knows what purpose.

Perhaps somebody is using Marty's site as a go-between.

#140608 - 12/17/01 01:22 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
Over_40_Pirate Offline
Hey Hope...I guess we know where we picked up that virus from!

#140609 - 12/17/01 01:36 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
NYgal Offline
klcman....I get many of them a day on my firewall too, none from AC. But from everywhere else. It only takes one person's address, not necessarily the whole AC web site.
These people are talking about a virus, not a hacker hit !
That's why we have firewalls, to keep those "unwanted" out.

#140610 - 12/17/01 02:18 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
denverdan Offline
Thanks Chloe, it's gone!

Pirate... This was not the HA HA HA one. (At least I don't think so) After that fiasco I got another one in SPANISH lol, at least they spell HA the same.
I believe this one was generated in Belize???
Don't really know.
Geeze... I hope I wasn't the one who started it!!! That WAS a few months ago wasn't it Pirate?

NYgal... Would a "hacker hit" bring my
c drive up to my address tabs when I'm on line?

#140611 - 12/17/01 03:04 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
NYgal Offline
If you are on a cable or dsl it's more likely that can happen. A dial-up happens less often.

But, to answer your question YES it could happen if you do not have a firewall.

Black Ice is a good resource, read read read.
Or another one that is Free....is Zone Alarm. Not sure of the web site addresses but try the reading. Do a search for these firewall sites.

You can get viruses from ANYWHERE...not just through your emails you receive. You can also get them from http sites you visit.

Safest way is don't open attatchments till you are better secured. And scan with your virus scan.

(I just got something today from someone in Belize. I e-mailed them right away to ask if they had sent something to me, they responded that they DID NOT) THus, I deleted it right away. It pays to ask or trust your self to be careful. I always was too quick to open up these e-mails but there seems to be more of a rash of "viruses" and hoaxes too.

Gosh, I hope I said all that right, if not Sorry. Just do some of that reading assignment LOL

* I am far from a pro*...so this is only a lesson. It takes lots more reading to know for sure. I learn something new each day.
Hope this helps some.

#140612 - 12/17/01 03:29 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
Marty Online   happy
hmm. i'll ask me server guys....

#140613 - 12/17/01 07:58 PM Re: SubSeven Trojan
klcman Offline

I agree with NYGal, but more likely your addy tabs popped up because the virus is still active and sending out those obnoxious e-mails to everyone in your addy book...and sometimes they are blank e-mails with just the nasty attachment.

I would suggest that, in addition to your virus software, you pay a visit to symantec's site and check out the commentary on whatever virus you contracted. Frequently they will provide a free download (yes, it's OK to safely download from them) for the various nasties and allow you to clean the system completely. I have noticed lately that, with some of these buggers, quarranting them is not enough....sometimes they slip by and you need to go inside the startup files, etc. and actually remove code. The "how to's" are quite simple, just require some concentration. Sometimes they do not have downloads and you must do the work yourself, carefully following the instructions...not difficult as I said, just requires concentration.

As NYGal said, if you are connected via DSL, cable or wireless, you are more at risk than through a dialup. Thus the need for a firewall as you are connected DIRECTLY to the net.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,724 Topics
461,271 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.