Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#141058 - 01/07/02 09:34 AM That's Incredible!
ScubaLdy Offline
On my 1st visit to Key Largo, Florida I asked a shopkeeper how it was living there? She said that just last week the TV show "That's Incredible" had two people on from Key Largo; one had a job and the other didn't drink. It took me a minute to get it.
I think maybe this could apply to a lot of our beautiful tropical places too.

I see so many people writing about moving to paradise and so many people warning them to not jump too soon. I think one needs to have a plan when they make such a move.
For sure you must have enough interest in something you can do from anyplace in order to be happy living on an island. Watching sunrises and sunsets and drinking in-between can get old pretty fast.

I want to live in Belize because of the incredible people and the diving is good enough to keep me occupied. I plan to walk the beach at sunrise, have my coffee at Lily's, do a tank dive or long snorkel for the healing of the ocean, then walk home and spend two hours everyday writing. Oh yes, and nap too.
I want to buy fresh food everyday, not go to the super market and stock a kitchen.
I want to eat FRESH fish! I want to take up fly-fishing again. Haven't done that for years but I used to be pretty good.
I have a not-for-profit organization I can run from my computer in less than one hour online time, if I am organized off line.

I expect to get off the island every three of four months for awhile so it will stay new and exciting to me.

And yes, I am keeping my home here so I always have a place to come back to.

Now that it's actually 2002 and retirement is 10 months away I find I am getting nervous - so much to do to get ready.
Harriette

#141059 - 01/07/02 02:41 PM Re: That's Incredible!
Sandshaker Offline
Sounds absolutely wonderful Harriette!
Good plan!
What more could a person want?

#141060 - 01/07/02 07:09 PM Re: That's Incredible!
Anonymous
with complete agreement with ss, i humbly ask how this is all financed? i do not mean to pry, it just seemed like a logical question.

had i unlimited funds at my disposal, this sounds like a dream come true. in reality, i could never do it. i suppose you learn to do without many unnecessary things?

and i don't like fish. could we change just that part to 'shellfish'?

#141061 - 01/08/02 06:20 AM Re: That's Incredible!
ScubaLdy Offline
Asking how I can do that is like asking an old person the secret to a long life. LOL
I have been working since I was 12 years old. Up until 7 years ago planned to work all my life! Then I burned out and kicked back and refuse to manage any people anymore.
Not drinking or smoking has probably saved me a fortune; certainly saved my life. Don't get me wrong -- I did as much as I could for as long as I could. Fortunately I bottomed out early.
I never trusted unions so when they tried to convince all we young single mothers that more money in our pocket now instead of in our old age was a good thing -- I didn't go for it. Therefore, on March 7th I will have 30 years with a county government job with the OLD retirement plan. Yeah! (not bad for an old Beatnik turned rebel in the 70's.) Now a tired Libertarian.
The other secret is having a savings plan that I couldn't touch. Deferred income will be paying for my living in Belize.

I feel very, very lucky.

Harriette

PS In AA there is an old saying. When someone is asked, “How did you stay sober so long,” the answer is “Don’t drink and don’t die.”

#141062 - 01/08/02 07:07 AM Re: That's Incredible!
Mosquitorose Offline
I think most of us have a plan like Scuba Lady right? ..got to have something for all those years of hard work. And if ya don't better start...it's never too late.

Harriette, you made your luck and now you're reaping the benefits... I wish you a life of enjoyment and peace.

I suppose everyone lives at their own pace.
I believe in saving and building a nest egg for retirement. Some people like to spend it all and live it up, and that's ok..it works for them. The years go by so fast...before u know it..we're there..and it's nice if your prepared.

MR

[This message has been edited by Mosquitorose (edited 01-07-2002).]

#141063 - 01/13/02 12:00 PM Re: That's Incredible!
hunters Offline
Well Harriette I also have a 2nd life in Belize as my goal. Have been working on it since my first visit some 13 years ago.

Thought I would be able to hang onto my house in the states as a home base when I retire but after a divorce I had to alter my plan. I also had to change my timeframe so I am a few more years away.

I am quite interested in learning from those that go before me. I hope that you will continue to share your thoughts and plans for your new life.

#141064 - 01/14/02 07:31 AM Re: That's Incredible!
ScubaLdy Offline
Isn't life funny? I ended a 13 year relationship which freed me up to do whatever I want. Moving to Belize because possible.
Harriette

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,074 Topics
462,343 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.