Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#141201 01/18/02 07:43 PM
M
OP Offline
M
My wife has been very good, is even joking about it now. She has pointed out a ring she would quite like however....

#141202 01/18/02 11:38 PM
KC Offline
HA HA! That's the spirit! She's my kind of woman. Now go buy that ring. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#141203 01/19/02 05:46 PM
M
OP Offline
M
This is almost too much...two days after the removal of the first larva. We've just found a second, in the same place as the first. It looks like we've got twins.

We are currently trying to remove it using a thick layer of vaseline. The larva is supposed to move in to the vaseline to try to get to the surface. We can grab it as it emerges....I am not convinced and Louise (my wife) is not happy....

Mike

#141204 01/19/02 06:50 PM
H
H
Gracious heaven above...twins!

Valentine's day is looking to be a little spendy for you this year. lol.

No matter where you go ... There you are!
#141205 01/19/02 08:46 PM
KC Offline
Oh dear, Mike... It is looking more like that trip to Thailand next year may be off. ??

BEST WISHES to your wife. [Linked Image]

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#141206 01/20/02 01:50 AM
Hi
While on the topic of biting-stinging things, maybe someone might have insite on bites that my family recieved. Somewhere between the jungle and Placencia my mum and dad and friend all got these bites that turned into holes all over their legs. All of us used protective lotion and spray but I was the only one not to get eaten. They look as if they've got the plague or pox!

Any ideas? I remember before some mentioned welts but these are more like poc marks.

#141207 01/20/02 12:02 PM
Thanks Mike, i appreciate the updates, I'll get that botfly page yet thanks to your help. Tell that brave wife of yours that her troubles will help alleviate the trobles of others.

and then go get that ring....

:>

#141208 01/20/02 09:19 PM
Sarah...I don't know if this pertains to the bites with holes. Here goes. When I was little we would go for vacations up to Cotten Tree Bank..somewhere close to Rock Thunder. I remember the little baby ward hogs coming to us, (we called them warries), because the mother threw them out of the group. She did this because they had these holes on their bodies. some of them would have one hole, some would have two or three. The holes would be very deep. The villagers would tell us that the hogs were bitten by something or the other and that whatever was inside them was feeding on them. I don't remember too much else. I for one would not waste time with this kind of stuff. I would seek medical attention at once, and insist that they exray or whatever it took to find out. I would not leave until they did.

MR

Love is a many splendid thing and food runs a close second.
#141209 01/20/02 09:20 PM
M
OP Offline
M
It worked! After 6 hours and several missed attempts we got it! This larva was much bigger than the one removed on Thursday, almost 1/2 inch long and 1/4 of an inch thick.
We had to do it at home because we'd had quite a heavy snow fall and the doctor's is 45 minutes drive away. He said he would try the same, rather than the surgery again.

If anyone has to do this, the way to grab the larva is to place a very thick layer of vaseline (over 1/2 an inch) and wait (in our case 1.5 hours between each attempt to grab the larva). Earlier attempts missed because the larva retracted into the hole on my wife's head too quickly. Wait until the larva is a long way out of the hole and then go for the base really quickly and tug the larva out in one movement.

We finally wrestled it free AND intact at 8pm last night. Now we're just waiting to see if there are any more....clear so far today, so hopefully that will be it.

Sarah Smile, if the bites have 1-2mm holes on top of the bites 13-17 days after they were bitten, then I suspect you have what my wife has/d....

I am so grateful to all you guys. You are all amazing!

Thanks

Mike

#141210 01/21/02 12:08 PM
SWEET! glad you got that sucker OUT!!!!

I'm so jealous. I want one someday. I called to them in the jungle, I want to grow one to maturity and get it into a bug collection....

well, maybe not.....

it sounds crazy, like a wrestling match with a greasy worm!!!!

lordy, the things that come round on this crazy planet...

glad its working out well, might be a two ring situation....

peace and big hugs to your wife....

Marty

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 226 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.