Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141605 02/06/02 04:46 PM
V
vicky Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Coming to AC in March. Hoping to bring some steaks in for us to grill. Will I have a problem at Customs? Never tried bring meat in before
Any suggestions are appreciated
Vicky

#141606 02/06/02 05:54 PM
It used to be no problem, as long as the meat items were in original packaging, but after the Mad Cow disease scare last year it got so customs didn't permit most meat products to enter. I don't know if things are back to normal now, or not.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#141607 02/06/02 06:39 PM
I don't know what the current skinny is, either, but I think that if you look and act like the typical tourist who is not schlepping an outrageous amount of baggage, you're likely to be able to tuck frozen steaks in amongst the T-shirts and walk through the nothing to declare line. Don't put it on your declaration form! The worst that would happen is if you get your bags searched by Belize Customs, some Customs agent may decide he's going to have a good steak dinner and confiscate the meat!

#141608 02/06/02 11:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Of all the trips we have taken to the caribbean of 2 wks or more we always take a large cooler full of steaks and other favorite food items. The biggest problem we have is the airlines with their dry ice pound limit. Almost had to give up the cooler (20 steaks and other items) in Miami bound for Bonaire because ALM was a little pissy about the dry ice, but we made it and the steaks were a great treat.

Can't say anything about the mad cow disease problem, but Lan should be the guy if anybody is in the know.

Enjoy the steaks, I have a hard time at any local meat market in the caribbean. I guess I'm just used to the look of our USDA steaks or the half beef we buy here in Idaho.

Take the chance and take them...

#141609 02/07/02 12:08 AM
//ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum4/HTML/004167.html

#141610 02/07/02 12:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Marty,

You say "don't use dry ice or the airlines charge you a lot extra."

We have taken dry ice many times and have NEVER been charged for it. The US airlines limit is 5 lb but we add a bit more. I have never got a straight answer from the CA airlines, and ALM airlines get pissy about it but have always let us go without extra charge.

Just what airline charges extra for dry ice? All I know is there is a 5 lb limit and there must be a label on the baggage it is in. If you can be more specific about which international airline have different rules regarding dry ice than I am aware of please post them, we are doing another two weeker soon and need to find out if there is any changes in flight rules.

Customs have never given us a problem yet, but with 9/11 things might have changed. Please enlighten me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.