Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141611 02/06/02 05:58 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hey Im new so bear with me, but Im needin some info if it can be had! Myself and a group of about 12 others will be heading to monkey river town on march 10, 2002 and i was wonderin if some of yall would lemme know what im gettin myself into. We are traveling on a Mission Trip from Pfeiffer University, in Misenheimer, NC, and Im looking for tips, hints, trip ideas, dos and donts, and some really good fishin tips!! So if anyone can be of service i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks and have a great day, Lucas

#141612 02/07/02 01:23 PM
K
K
check out http://www.southernbelize.com to get general information

#141613 02/07/02 04:35 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hey Karin, I have already been to the www.southernbelize.com, it is great, and thanx for the tips. Im really lookin for personal comments, from those who have been there. But any and all info is appreciated. Have a wonderful day.

#141614 02/07/02 07:57 PM
My family in Independence are all originally from Monkey River Town. In its heyday it was where the ships came to pick up banana's.
The locals used dorries to paddle out and load the ship offshore. Its still called a town because it was able to achieve that, I believe the only town in Belize that lost population. If there are 100-125 people there I would be surprised.
If you arrive via land you will pass thru Mango Farm (exporter of Mango's and also sold for local consumption) and some citrus development. You will then head off down a local one lane road and several miles later come to a landing. On the opposite side there sits Monkey River Town. You wave your arms and someone will come over in a boat to pick you up and take you across.
You must be aware that it took quite a pounding during Hurrican Iris. When we were there in December they had about ten houses left standing and were in the process of rebuilding the rest. You will find only two lanes and the houses along these lanes.
People living there make their living fishing and doing river tours. Before Iris it was a wildlife mecca. Birds, iguana's, alligators, bats, loads of critters. Oops almost forgot about the howler monkies. (the towns namesake) If the crabs are running you can spend sometime chasing them around.
FISHING in this area is FANTASTIC and if the people in your group like fishing you will love Monkey River. You can choose between the river or going offshore. When we were there in December saw the biggest lobsters that we have ever seen in Belize. HUGE

Your going to love the people they are open and friendly and they will love having you in the village. Town only has one pay phone, only one hotel was reopened when we were there and no restuarant yet. But no big deal lots more fun to eat with the locals in their homes. Town does not have fulltime electric so its usually early to bed and early to rise.
Now not much going on there in regards to nightlife. Make sure you take bug spray and your sunscreen.
Two older Belizean men that I know retired from the police force in Monkey River. When you go its just hard to imagine that there was ever that amount of population there to need policemen. If you go up river have the guide point out where some of the homes use to be along the banks. All jungle now and except for some of the flora you would never know that it was once a homesite.

Your going to have a fantastic time.

#141615 02/07/02 08:01 PM
For fishing information in the area you need to check out www.kevinmodera.com

#141616 02/07/02 09:22 PM
L
OP Offline
L
WOW, This place sounds exciting for real, I can't wait!! I know the group I'm goin with will absolutely love this new info!! Thanx kcbc!! If any others have info it would be greatly appreciated!! And as far as damage from Iris is concerned, were going to make repairs on the school while we are down there, and as you know every little bit helps so, slowly but surely it'll be rebuilt. Thanx again to all, and keep them posts coming!!

#141617 02/07/02 09:32 PM
Wow, how refreshing, and beautiful these posts are........Best Wishes

Dare To Deviate
#141618 02/07/02 10:09 PM
T
T
Monkey River town is the real deal...a REAL Southern Belizean town. Our guide we had named Doyle was from there...and he showed us around and told us lots of cool stories about the village. Folks are friendly. But they took a realy pounding during Hurricane Iris. I'm not sure what kind of infrastructure are left. Make sure you bring LOTS of bug spray and sunblock and use them!!! And get all the shots (innoculations) you need, including hepatitis, anti-malaria, etc. (check CDC website or ask your doctor for recommendations) most of all.....HAVE FUN! You're going to have an awesome time!

#141619 02/08/02 09:39 AM
M
M
BELIZE is so much more than just San Pedro!!

#141620 02/08/02 09:51 AM
the lack of there being a town is what makes monkey river town so refreshing. some of my favorite photos are of the school children attending classes outdoors next to the sea. don't miss a trip up the river to look for troupes of howlers. if you have never heard a howler monkey you will be quite surprised. don't know if there are crocs in the river. ask before swimming. i stayed in the water only a short while, long enough to cool off, so i wouldn't be croc food. this is also a great chance to view the birds nests that hang. can't remember the spelling (orodola pendula) maybe someone can help me out. we fished out of placencia.
gay

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.