Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141745 - 02/15/02 11:04 PM Identifying person posting
ScubaLdy Offline
Marty - et al
I understand why you withhold our e-mail addresses, but I don't understand why you withhold who people actually are. There are some very disturbing posts that make me suspicious of the motive of the person who is writing. I do find a great value in getting more than one side of an argument, but I would like to know who's arguing. I also believe that there are people who change their ID when they get too much of a reputation as a naysayer.
Harriette

#141746 - 02/16/02 02:14 AM Re: Identifying person posting
Anonymous
'naysayer', not me, now which username ID should I use this time. I think Idaho_diver. Of course what you suggest is done on every BB around, that's the beauty of the internet, I guess Marty could allow IP address to be shown, but then again some of us pot stirrers could spoof the IP.

#141747 - 02/16/02 02:19 AM Re: Identifying person posting
JmHanna Offline
Hi Scubaldy,
Unfortunately there are a few weird folks(not that I am not kinda bizzarre myself!!) out there that wanna wreak havok on what Marty is trying to do here. These people in question cost him hundreds of hours in cleanup and restoration. They also make him have to babysit a board that was or is supposed to be self governing.
That is not the case, sorry to say.
One of the people in question is probably 'soma or amos 151' who uses many aliases, most all are email addresses @ yahoo.com. John Smith is his latest one.--boy he spent a lotta time on that one--no?.
He is a Puerto Rican nutcase from Oregon somewhere that lost some money on a dream in the Sittee River area. He among others have been a thorn in the side of Marty for some time now.
Thats one reason why he choses to keep the emails off the posts.
Hey,
If ya wanna call amos up I got his phone number--and his address.
Let me know
Jim

#141748 - 02/16/02 07:56 AM Re: Identifying person posting
ScubaLdy Offline
I meant exactly the opposite of what you two have responded to. So what's new? I understand NOT putting e-mail addresses for public view. But when we registered for the board we had to give our name and a REAL e-mail address so it could be verified and, if necessary, traced. Didn't we?
Yes, Soma got on one of my boards and killed the activity there.
What I'm asking for is responsibility for what one writes. There are a lot of us who do sign our names. I guess maybe I will just have to continue to not put a lot of credence in unsigned questionable posts.
Thanks anyway.
Harriette

#141749 - 02/16/02 10:39 AM Re: Identifying person posting
Anonymous
"But when we registered for the board we had to give our name and a REAL e-mail address"

I don't really remember if I gave my real name, I don't think I did. I always give a bogus name. As far as the 'real email address' every poster gave one, (whether a hotmail, yahoo, excite, or their ISP supplied) or one of many others. Remember you need the password he sends you at the email address you supplied.

"so it could be verified and, if necessary, traced"

Marty does not need a email address to trace you, me or anybody else. His server logs shows IP address of ALL posters. If you have a dial-up ISP your IP address changes every time you connect to the internet (dynamic address), his log shows the numbers that your ISP is suppling for you. Even tho your address changes every time you connect you use a set of numbers from a given block from your ISP. I and many others have a 'static' IP which means that our ISP has assigned a number to us and it does not change (DSL, Cable, ADSL, ect, they do reserve the right to change it, but that has not happened to me yet.

Marty could block any user if he wanted to, but what I have seen I do not think it will happen any time soon. I see most anyword used and they remain. ie. from 'CAPTAIN bigzeke', 'ibanole', to name the lastest A$$holes I seen.

Can you direct me to some of the posts you are refering to? I do not read all the posts, but would like to see what you are talking about. OR has the edit master been doing his job?...

#141750 - 02/16/02 12:46 PM Re: Identifying person posting
seashell Offline
Scubalady, Marty and I have been corresponding off and on for almost 2 years. I've corresponded by email with Wendy and Tammy and a few others from this board. I've even met a couple of people from the board and tried to meet up with others. Because of the nut cases in the world, I choose not to put my email or my name out there for them to see. If you would like to email with me, just say so and since you've left yours out there, I'll find you or we can go through Marty.

#141751 - 02/16/02 05:21 PM Re: Identifying person posting
dwhite Offline
Lighten up it's not a smut chat!
It the Caye for Christ's sake!
God love it.

#141752 - 02/16/02 08:26 PM Re: Identifying person posting
Marty Offline
I choose not to show the email addresses so that amos doesn't write individually to posters and pester them.

i won't argue that point. suffice it to say i have experience in the matter.

people can register in any name they want. I'm not sure what you are saying that i am blocking seeing who folks are. there is profile information available, not email or name i guess...

if a person has an email address they can get the mail to, they can register.

they can put anything else they want in the rest of the form, real, or imaginary.

#141753 - 02/16/02 08:28 PM Re: Identifying person posting
Marty Offline
scubaman95376, jim is not paranoid, just very well educated on the history and problems of this board.

nuff said.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 02-16-2002).]

#141754 - 02/16/02 11:19 PM Re: Identifying person posting
ScubaLdy Offline
WOW - I guess I stepped in this one! Sorry.
Why did I ask the question in the first place. For 1st, all the questionable information that posted about Basil Jones and 2ndn now seems to be happening under the topic "currency." Some pretty scarry stuff being said and who knows how to separate out the truth.
For those who don't know about Amos - I had listed one of my e-mail addresses and I was bombarded by insults from his. My way of handling it - ignored them all. After a couple of months it did stop.
Sorry - Marty - you can dump this topic if you want. Enogh has been said.
Harriette

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.