Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OP Offline
O
Does anyone have any info on the Xibalba(Cayo District)? There is an article in the Car. Travel&Life magazine this month. It sounds pretty interesting, it is a Maya cave with nine levels to explore. From what is says you are underground for atleast threee hours. Does anyone know any details about this?

It is Tunichal Muchnal?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

National Geographic has an excellent article about it! You have to dig for it, but it is worth the read. I have pictures on my Home Page (see my profile). I am definitely going into that cave again!

M
M
We explored Actun Tunichil Mucnal last June and it was the most amazing thing we ever did. A true adventure and very magical. In which National Geographic edition is the article Cinca. We where told that they just where there a month before we got there to photograph and research the cave but we never found the article. We have the new Caribean Life article so and it brings great memories back.

That cave trip was one of the most thrilling things I've done in years. I enjoyed it immensely. It was a little bit hard on the old bod, but well worth it!

O
OP Offline
O
Thank you. In the National Geo article that there are only 6 guides. Whom did you use and how much did it cost and how long is it?

I don't know what company we used as it was arranged by my friend. I think our guide was one of, if not the very first to be allowed to take tours through it. I'm thinking is name was Ericqo or Enrique. He was *very* good. The hike in is about 45 minutes on a trail, that can get a bit slippery when wet. You wade through the same stream 3 or 4 times as it curves around the trail. At the mouth of the cave, you have to swim about 15' through 15' or so deep of water to get to the ledge just inside the cave. Once inside, you will be doing climbing, crawling, wading and lots of hiking. There was just one bit that gave me a touch of claustrophobia. I had to twist my body through a small opening but many others had gone before so I knew it would be OK and I was through before I knew it. Once inside the cave it took around 4 hours.

Be sure to wear quick dry clothes. I just wore biker-type exercise shorts and a 3 quarter lenght sleeve t-shirt, to keep me from scrapes and stuff. However, while that worked great to keep me from being scraped and I was quite comfy for doing the work, I got chilled especially afterwards.

The resort closest to the cave is Pook's Hill. It's walking distance.

the natl geographic article is in the april 2000 issue... amazing article...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.