Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#142586 02/23/02 11:18 AM
when i checked YEARS ago, i was told malaria is highly uncommon there. anyone know if this is still true?

#142587 02/23/02 11:34 AM
We over medicate ourselves. Americans think a pill or an injection is the only cure or preventative measure. Common sense is then over ruled. Doctors will give us what we want as long as they have a satisfied customer. Sad but true.

#142588 02/23/02 06:51 PM
B
B
ditto to Chloe's remark about staying out of the sun on Cipro...my dr sent it w/me on my 1st trip there last year & the first morning out on the beach in the sun, my shoulders & chest started itching & soon I had a rash...it disappeared as soon as I got in the shade, but what kind of dr prescribes something where you should avoid the sun to someone who is going to a TROPICAL island?!?!? stopped taking after the 1st day & was fine

#142589 02/23/02 09:38 PM
M
M
I'm no expert but thought I'd add a personal note on the Cipro, I was also prescribed it by my doctor in case of "Traveler's Diarhea, etc.". But not to take it unless I got sick. I had this along in Mexico the last time I went & it was a true vacation saver. Didn't take it until I got sick, and with Cipro was better within 24 hours.

makedesigns
#142590 02/24/02 12:47 AM
OMG, i never take anything...thank god
MR

going togo eat an orange right now. lol

[This message has been edited by Mosquitorose (edited 02-23-2002).]

Love is a many splendid thing and food runs a close second.
#142591 02/24/02 04:48 AM
S
S
Sorry for the LONG post--But I am appalled at the number of people who are apparently being given CIPRO by their doctors when they are NOT SICK, merely because they are going to Belize. This is gross malpractice. CIPRO is a very powerful drug that should only be taken if you HAVE a serious bacterial infection. Going to Belize is NOT the equivalent of being exposed to anthrax!
DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG AS A PROPHYLACTIC.
The article below came from a medical web site:

C I P R O Information
and Side Effects
A new research article explains how quinolone antibiotics (including "Cipro") cause joint and tendon ruptures...
See also one young man's testimony on the potential for side effects
Reprint of Dr. Shoskes newsgroup comment on antibiotics in prostatitis treatment.
by Jerry Snider R.Ph.
C I P R O Information & Side Effects -
Cipro (Ciprofloxin) is a member of the quinolone group of antibiotics. Peak blood levels are reached 1-2 hours after dosing. If you take an ANTACID containing magnesium or aluminum hydroxide (most have one or both), it will bind up to 90% of the drug, rendering it mostly ineffective. Same is true with zinc, iron, and calcium. It reaches optimum blood levels if taken 2 hours after a meal. If you take THEOPHYLLINE) for asthma, Cipro slows down the breakdown of Theophylline, and it will cause severe nervousness as you would expect with an overdose (could be fatal!). Cipro does the same with CAFFEINE, and will build up higher blood levels of caffeine, causing nervousness and CNS stimulation.
Cipro is effective against gram positive and gram negative bacteria. It works by interfering with an enzyme that bacteria need to replicate their DNA. Cipro enters tissue, including the prostate, and can be isolated from prostatic secretions.
RECOMMENDED DOSE FOR PROSTATITIS: 500mg every 12 hours for 28 days.
*EFFECTIVE AGAINST:

AEROBIC GRAM POSITIVE:
Enterococcus faecalis;
Staph Aureus;
Staph epidermis;
Staph saprophyticus;
Strep pneumoniae; and
Strep pyogenes.

AEROBIC GRAM NEGATIVE:
Campylobacter jejuni
Citrobacter diversus
Citrobacterfreundii
Enterobacter cloacae
E.Coli
Haemophilus influenzae
Haemophilus parainfluenzae
Klebsiella pneumonae
Morganella morganii
Neisseria gonorrheae
Proteum mirabilis
Proteus vulgaris
Providencia rettgeri
Providencia stuartii
Pseudomonas aeruginose
Salmonella typhi
Serratia marcescens
Shigella flexneri
Shigella sonnei.
Effective against 90% of the strains of the following
In Vitro (test-tube) - - - -
AEROBIC GRAM POS:
Staph haemolyticus;
Staph hominis
AEROBIC GRAM NEG:
Acinetobacter Iwoffi
Aeromonas caviae
Aeromonas hydrophilia
Brucella melitensis
Campylobacter coli
Edwardsiella tarda
Haemophilus ducreyi
Klebsiella oxytoca
Legionella pneumophila
Moraxella catarrhalis
Neisseria meningitidis
Pasteurella multocida
Salmonella enteritidis
Vibrio cholerae
Vibrio parahaemolyticus
Vibrio vulnificus
Yersinia enterocolitica
OTHER:
Clamydia trachomatis
Mycobacterium tuberculosis (moderate on both)
RESISTANT BACTERIA NOT HELPED BY CIPRO: Most strains of: Burkholderia cepacia, Stenotrophomonas maltophilia, Bacteroides fragilis, Clostridium difficile- Cipro is slightly less effective in an acid PH.- Resistance develops slowly to Cipro (multi-step mutations)- Synergistic (stronger) effects occur with Cipro if given with Flagyl (metronidazole), Cleocin (Clindamycin), or aminoglucocide or beta-lactam class antibiotics.
CONTRAINDICATIONS: Should not be used by persons with a history of hypersensi-tivity to Cipro, or other quinolones. Not to be used by persons under the age of 18.
WARNINGS: All quinolones cause erosion of cartilage in weight-bearing joints. They may cause convulsions, increases intracranial pressure, toxic psychosis, CNS stimulation (i.e.nervousness, lightheadedness, confusion, hallucinations).Should not be used in anyone with seizure disorders, or cerebral arteriosclerosis. There have been deaths due to anaphylactic shock, and cardiovascular collapse. Also occurring are tingling, itching, facial swelling, and difficult breathing.
DISCONTINUE at the first sign of a rash or any hypersensitivity. Pseudomembranous colitis has been reported from nearly all antibacterial agents (mild to life-threatening), and anyone taking Cipro having diarrhea should immediately check with his prescribing physician. Antibacterial drugs may kill off normal intestinal flora, resulting in an overgrowth of Clostridia. It produces a toxin that is a primary cause of "antibiotic-associated- colitis".
Achilles and other tendon ruptures requiring surgical repair, resulting in prolonged disability can occur from quinolone use. Discontinue Cipro, and consult your physician, if you experience pain, inflammation, or tendon rupture.
Crystaluria (particles out of solution in urine) may occur, particularly if the urine is alkaline. While taking Cipro, maintain hydration (8-8oz glasses of water daily min.)and drink Orange or Cranberry juice, or apple cider vinegar (2 tsp. with 1 tsp.honey in 8 oz water) to maintain acidity of the urine. Photosensitivity (sunburn) occurs easily. Stay out of the sun all you can, or wear sunscreen (spf30) if you can't. Monitor liver, kidney functions, and blood chemistry during prolonged therapy.
DRUG INTERACTIONS:
Raises blood levels of THEOPHYLLINE and decreases normal elimination resulting in overdosing, potentially fatal. Also alters DILANTIN blood levels.
Given with GLYBURIDE (DIABETA, MICRONASE, GLYNASE), it can cause hypoglycemia. It increases the effects of the blood thinner COUMADIN (WARFARIN), and a patient taking COUMADIN needs to carefully monitor his prothrombin time.
BENEMID (PROBENECID) causes decreased breakdown of Cipro requiring less Cipro, or discontinuance of Benemid.
CARAFATE (SUCRALFATE), an ulcer drug, causes extremely decreased blood levels of Cipro.

ADVERSE REACTIONS:
Nausea (5.2%),
Diarrhea (2.3%),
vomiting (2%),
abdominal pain/discomfort(1.7%),
headache(1.2%),
restlessness(1.1%), and
rash (1.1%).
The following were reported as less than one percent:
CARDIOVASCULAR: Palpatation (feeling your heart beat), heart flutter, fainting, angina, heart attack, cardiopulmonary arrest, blood clot to the brain.
CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM: Nervousness, dizziness, headache, lightheadedness, insomnia, nightmares, hallucinations, manic attack, tremors, irritability, seizures, lethargy, drowsiness, weakness, no appetite, depression, numbness, depersonalization, ataxia ( lack of muscle coordination), agitation, confusion, delirium, toxic psychosis, muscle twitching, involuntary eye movements.
GASTROINTESTINAL: painful oral mucosa, thrush(oral fungal infection),intestinal perforation, G.I. bleeding, jaundice, difficulty swallowing, constipation, intestinal gas, swelling of the pancreas.
MUSCULOSKELETAL: joint stiffness, back pain, neck or chest pain, gout flare-up.
KIDNEY/URINARY: Kidney failure, urinary retention, urethral bleeding, acidosis, nephritis (inflammation of the kidneys), increased urinary output, kidney stones.
RESPIRATORY: difficult breathing, throat or lung swelling (edema), hiccoughs, bronchial spasm, blood clot in the lung, nosebleed.
SKIN HYPERSENSITIVITY: itching, rash, sensitivity to sunlight, flushing, chills, swelling of the blood vessels or lymph system, swelling of the face, lips, neck, eyes, or hands. Cuticle candidiasis (yeast) and hyperpigmentation.
SPECIAL SENSES: Blurred or disturbed vision, sensitivity to light, seeing double, eye pain, ringing in the ears, hearing loss, bad taste in mouth.
MISCELLANEOUS: Elevation of triglycerides and cholesterol. Blood and albumin in the urine, elevated serum potassium, glucose, and albumin. Anemia and agranulo-cytosis (potentially fatal condition where the white blood cell count goes extremely low).
Jerry Snider, R.Ph.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#142592 02/24/02 12:02 PM
B
B
Quote - "I'm no expert but thought I'd add a personal note on the Cipro, I was also prescribed it by my doctor in case of "Traveler's Diarhea, etc.". But not to take it unless I got sick. I had this along in Mexico the last time I went & it was a true vacation saver. Didn't take it until I got sick, and with Cipro was better within 24 hours."

AH - but good ole Immodium would have done the same thing.

#142593 02/24/02 12:31 PM
b blue...exactly what i thought!

#142594 02/24/02 01:04 PM
Been 10 times-never got any shots, or took any pills!!!!Never wear shoes....but hey, i guess some people get sick easier??!! C......drink a coconut shot and you'll be OK!!!

#142595 02/25/02 01:25 AM
I live here full time and I've had the Hep A (you can get it from unsanitary condidtions in a restaurant) Tetanus booster and I have Chlorquinine (Belize has the old style of Malaria so Chlorquinine still works) I dont take the malaria medication, I have it "just in case" However, since I've been in Belize I've encountered 3 people that have had Hep A - all were residents, not tourists, and one person with malaria, also a resident. The malaria case came from hiring a person from Guatemala to do cleaning, the Guatemalan had malaria and the disease was passed person to person via mosquitos in the room. The best defense against malaria is to not get bit. I've found the absolutely best anti-mosquito device to be a fan blowing on me at night, that seems to be the time that I would get attacked. If you're staying at a nice resort, I wouldnt worry about getting any of these diseases. BUT Hep A is useful even if you're not going to Belize, you could get Hepatitus A from a restaurant in the U.S.
--Silk
www.caribbean-colors.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.