Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#143009 - 02/24/02 01:13 AM Mayan Ruins
ACfan Offline
Has anyone on the board visited Chichen Itza as part of a trip to Belize?

We'll be in San Pedro later this year with another couple that wants to visit a "major" Mayan ruin. They specifically asked about going to Chichen Itza on the Yucatan on their return to the states. We've suggested that they might want to consider a day trip to Tikal instead.

Any suggestions regarding either location?

Thanks!

#143010 - 02/24/02 01:57 AM Re: Mayan Ruins
gailtor Offline
ACfan... I have been to both places. I would have to say that I enjoyed Tikal the most. Tropic Air offers both day trips and overnite (staying in Flores). Check out their web site for tours...
http://www.tropicair.com/tours.html

I did the overnite and thoroughly enjoyed the whole adventure. I would highly recommend it. I plan to revisit Tikal to do more exploring. Check out the message board here under search, as I believe others have spoken highly of the site. You might want to pick up some advance reading material on the ruins before you go.

I also loved Flores with it's quaint shops, the market, the layout of the streets, the churches, etc.

Whatever you /they decide ENJOY!
Gail

#143011 - 02/24/02 02:04 AM Re: Mayan Ruins
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Chichen Itza would be a two or three day trip at least from San Pedro. Why anyone would want to go there when there are wonderful ruins in Belize and in Guatemala I don't know. Chichen Itza is packed with daytrippers from Cancun. You can easily go to Tikal, or to one of the Belize sites. After all, Belize was the heart of the Maya empire.

--Lan Sluder

#143012 - 02/24/02 03:16 AM Re: Mayan Ruins
silkpainter Offline
I drove to Chichen Itza from Cancun. It is a 3 hour drive from Cancun and most of it is toll road that is in good condition. You cross Mexican State boundaries which means that you could be searched thoroughly (been there, done that) or just passed on thru. I would opt for Tikal or Palenque. Although the road from Belize to Palenque is very lonesome with many many military checkpoints, but in reasonable shape. It is about a 3 hour drive from the northern border of Belize to Palenque. It depends on how adventuresome you are. Having driven through Mexico from Laredo Texas to Belize (that is a story to be told at another time) I would opt for someone else doing the driving/flying in Mexico or Guatemala. The roads in Mexico are not marked well, and I felt I had to be on guard at all times. But other people have had good experiences. Chichen Itza is very very very touristy, so is Tulum.
--Silk
www.caribbean-colors.com

#143013 - 02/25/02 01:07 AM Re: Mayan Ruins
ACfan Offline
Gail, Lan & Silk -

Thanks for the information - In addition ro your feedback, searching the board archives for Tikal generated a lot of helpful posts. Whether or not the couple travelling with us goes to Tikal, that's where we're going. We'll probably fly into Belize City a day earlier than we'd planned, go to Tikal with Tropic and then over to AC for a week.

Neil

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (RedRover, Marty), 43 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,057 Topics
462,300 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.