Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14335 - 12/20/01 12:34 AM Incident at Black Rock
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
The Belize and international news has had a number of reports on the killings at Black Rock Lodge, on the Macal River in Cayo.

The facts as reported vary, but apparently two employees of Black Rock, including John the manager (an expat American), were killed by a group of Guatemalans. The American tourists staying there were terrorized, beaten and, by some reports, at least one was raped repeatedly.

Some in tourism in Belize are saying that this may have been as a result of a personal situation involving the lodge manager.

Whatever the facts -- and in the broader picture they really don't matter that much -- this latest incident is more bad news for tourism in mainland Belize.

Those who have visited Black Rock or the other lodges along the Macal will know that while the area feels quite safe, it is just miles from the porous Guatemala border, and there is no effective police protection or other security available in the area.

If it were an isolated event, that would be one thing. But it's not. Earlier this year a tourist van operated by Chaa Creek was stopped by a gang of masked Guatemalans and robbed at gunpoint. A little later a car driver by American tourists was fired upon by bandits and an American was slightly wounded. The safe at Chaa Creek was robbed. And there have been a number of other incidents in Cayo and in the Peten, including at Tikal. In one Peten incident, nine people were killed in an ambush attack, including two Belizeans Mennonites.

What the government and police can do is unclear. Guatemala is one of the poorest countries in the world, with a history of lawless activities by all kinds of groups.

It seems to me that lodges in Cayo will have to take the initiative to provide security for guests. Some lodges in remote areas around the country already do so.

I fear, though, that this latest incident may get Belize on the State Department warning list, which will further hurt tourism following the steep decline due to Hurricane Iris and the economic and travel slowdown in the U.S.

--Lan Sluder

Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/
Fodor's Belize and Guatemala Guide
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
Adapter Kit: Belize
Fodor's UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists 2000
Coming Soon: San Pedro Cool

#14336 - 12/20/01 03:01 AM Re: Incident at Black Rock
ScubaLdy Offline
JUST WHEN WE THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK IN THE JUNGLE!
Thanks Lan
I made my first trip to the top of Belize last month. I wanted to inspect the area before I took a group there - scheduled for next March. I felt very safe and came home and reported such to my people.
NOW THIS!
What a horrible thing to have happen. I hope you keep us posted.
Harriette

#14337 - 12/20/01 03:22 AM Re: Incident at Black Rock
Chloe Offline
OMG Dang Dang Dang

#14338 - 12/20/01 10:09 AM Re: Incident at Black Rock
rickcheri Offline
Lan,
I heard of this yesterday from a friend there and he lost his best friend on this attact... This is not good... Is there anything we all can do up here, to provide safety to those who chose to travel there, or can we do something with the govt. to provide the security for all the tourist that come to the great land of Belize???
Thanks, Rick

#14339 - 12/20/01 06:11 PM Re: Incident at Black Rock
GP Offline
Hi Lan

Would this tragic incident keep you from returing to the Cayo district? Would you advise me / us / others not to go?

#14340 - 12/20/01 06:30 PM Re: Incident at Black Rock
mina Offline
wow, that is scary. Stayed in Cayo a year ago and was a bit worried at the remoteness of the lodge we stayed in and overall proximity to Guatemala but felt so safe there that we forgot all about the potential. That is truly a shame.

#14341 - 12/20/01 07:09 PM Re: Incident at Black Rock
I always feel quite safe in Cayo, as I think do most visitors. I certainly will go back there anytime.

However, I do think it is time for the lodges there, and indeed hotels everywhere in Belize, to be more proactive in providing security for guests.

--Lan Sluder

#14342 - 12/21/01 06:50 AM Re: Incident at Black Rock
rickcheri Offline
Hey Lan--

What do you think about what I said..

Rick

#14343 - 12/21/01 03:25 PM Re: Incident at Black Rock
Rick,

I don't think there's much anyone can do. When you have several hundred thousand very, very, very poor people, with virtually no law enforcement in place, sitting next door to Belize, with a remote and porous border anyone can walk across, it spells trouble.

The Government of Belize can't control crime in Belize City, much less on a hundred-mile long border.

I think it comes down to individual hotel owners providing security. They are going to have to build that into their costs. Several of the lodges in Cayo already have guards, and more are hiring them right now.

But it's not just in Cayo. Hotels everywhere in Belize have to do a better job with guest security, either banding together to do so or individually.

--Lan Sluder

#14344 - 12/27/01 07:12 PM Re: Incident at Black Rock
munichchick Offline
This is so terrible! We felt so safe last June driving all over the place in our rental car and staying at remote Pooks Hill Jungle Lodge. This kind of thing will stick in the back of our head now. I hope these things will not happen again. If the Belize government wants sucess with tourism they better think of something to protect people a little more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,191 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.