Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143480 - 04/06/02 10:53 AM Goverment Corruption
bywarren Offline
For those of you who might be interested in another example of the problems Belize and it's people face, go to BelizeNews.com and look at the Guardian article titled "$50,000 plywood homes".

#143481 - 04/06/02 04:00 PM Re: Goverment Corruption
Yup, another fine example of what the current PM and his cronies are doing to the kind people of BZ. Looks like there's a couple more years of the pillaging and plundering left, at which point the International Monetary community will probably have to step in and try to undo the incredible looting of the country that has taken place. Did I hear someone say Fountain Blue? Airport re-sufacing? Barge relocation funding? Thought so.

#143482 - 04/06/02 10:58 PM Re: Goverment Corruption
divnflylots Offline
the planes land though right? and anyways, its Belize, not the US, you cant expect things to be perfect in a country that small, you want my advice, dont go there if you dont like the way it is, cuz Belize is Belize and I love the place!

#143483 - 04/07/02 12:42 AM Re: Goverment Corruption
KC Offline
Awwww, Come on Adam. We love Belize, too. So much so that many of us would like to spend a lot of time there, and some have invested in property and other ventures there. We are concerned that the financial situation and the government remain stable. There's nothing I can do about it, but at least I am interested, and I do like to keep semi-informed. That's all.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

#143484 - 04/07/02 01:54 AM Re: Goverment Corruption
BzeLady Offline
What size homes are you talking about? How many bedrooms?
I know the Mennonites houses are made of lumber and did not cost so much.

#143485 - 04/07/02 10:41 AM Re: Goverment Corruption
bywarren Offline
There is a picture of the houses in the article that gives you an idea of the size. The disturbing fact is the chairman of the goverment organization that funded the project sold the land to the corporation at a per lot cost of approximatly $46,000. The cost of the homes are $1500. Add septic and utilities and you approach the $50,000 figure. The land was swamp land that was filled. One of the many reasons the homes are not selling, is people know the next strong strom will wash the filled land away.
PS: Diveinflylots, I don't go to Belize. I am a resident that lives in Belize and I care about Belize and it's people. If less tourists had your attitude, and more took the time to be informed on a place they claim to care about, maybe it would help some even if only in a small way.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 04-07-2002).]

#143486 - 04/07/02 01:04 PM Re: Goverment Corruption
ljacks Offline
Seems like the only thing they can't find money for is a hospital, an ambulance, or any kind of emergancy medical at all in San Pedro.
Someone should be in prison for the money that was used up for all that empty housing, near the SP airport. incredibly poor quality, and no water or sewer or electricity.

#143487 - 04/07/02 01:49 PM Re: Goverment Corruption
divnflylots Offline
How about we meet in person, anyone of you, and we can discuss this matter, so you decide that you and your fellow traveling buddies(the other people in this chat area), are gonna go to that country and change how its ran? LOL, do you have any idea the ammounts of drugs that are ran through that wondeful place? You think the USA is not involved? As long as Belize is a "funnel" of drugs, the curruption will never change, and as long as Belize has only 300,000 people, that change wont ever happen, you dont like hurricanes, than migrate north and get away from the islands and water......

#143488 - 04/07/02 04:28 PM Re: Goverment Corruption
bywarren Offline
divnflylots: I think you might have dived too deep and flew too high without oxygen a few too many times. I am really having trouble understanding your logic.

#143489 - 04/07/02 05:25 PM Re: Goverment Corruption
divnflylots Offline
I dont think thats it, I do have a different outlook on things I spose, but what I am saying is true, that place can be a tragic place to live, read the belize daily news, its not new news that Belize gov't is screwed up, its a 3rd world country, thats just how it is, if you ask me anyways, its all part of life and how one cannot have his/her cake and eat it too! as in you cant have paradise, all perfect and trouble free, it would just be too,........well,..too perfect, thats all

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 72 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.