Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#144015 05/25/02 01:55 AM
S
S
Jim: The problem with your approach is that when Mother Nature decides, her decision impacts the developer's neighbors as well.
And his buyers.
No man is an island...especially on an island.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#144016 05/25/02 08:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
...And the pockets of the taxpayers. I suspect they settle for this shoddy stuff because it is not their pocket that feels. Its the endless supply of tax dollars (at least it seems THEY think so...)

Cheers,
Wendy

#144017 05/25/02 09:06 AM
OP Offline
For some of you long time board members you might recall the topic of dredging being discused here under Ambergris Caye and the topic "Harmfull Dredging". I once again direct your attention the the web page www.drbeach.org where Dr. Leatherman, a Florida scientist and professor who specializes in this, discusses the potential harmfull effects of dredging especially where coral reefs are involved. For those of you who might have concerns about this, I would ask that you look back at the "Harmfull Dredging" topic and look at the web page. This is a serious subject to me where I take of my sometimes sarcastic and confrontational rehtoric hats and get serious. This along with the sewage and garbage issues of over-devlopement are what I consider to be potentially irreversable damaging impacts. Not that other issues like hostpital care, improved roads, crime, fire protection and traffic issues are not also important, but those issues can be solved and when solved will have an immediate beneficial impact. If we fail to address the issues I raise, it will have a long term damaging impact. Jim is right when he says Mother Nature will take care of things. The problem is Mother Nature can be very patient and sometimes takes many lifetimes to correct what we screw up.

#144018 05/25/02 10:54 AM
T
T
ljacks is right....only half the homes should have been built and they should have been twice as good.

Of course that's looking back, again. How do we make the best of a bad job? Anyone out there got the answer? Do we tell working people not to buy them? Isn't it their decision now that it is done? Are we to assume that we know what's best for these folk?

Regarding septics: San Pablo has been there for years with septic systems on reclaimed land...the new project is no different. Now, will the government fill the lots properly? If they don't I agree there will be an effluent problem.

bywarren: You could look at it that way, 46,000 for the lot.

But $3500 for a house....what a bargain.

FYI none of these are being sold for more than $45,000US and most are quite a bit less.

Of course we're all debating on this board, and as Bill Thornton pointed out, the powers that be don't read this board.

#144019 05/25/02 11:49 AM
OP Offline
Truebelize, you Ijacks and I are sort of on the same wave length here. It needs to be determined what population density this island can handle based on the infrastructure that is currently available and what is willing to be provided in the future before the homes are built. Not afterwards when the problems arise. Green Reef has informed me that sewer service is planed for the project. And, guess what? At a cost of $20,000 per house. So we provide "resonalbly" priced housing for the people in need and then let them know that in order to live in a healthy environment they will need to fork over another 20K. This is the kind of after the fact planing that needs to change. It is not fair to any of us who live here. And, we should all try to inform ourselves and work together on issues we might agree on and agree to disagree on others. It is hard for me to think that anyone could feel that this island can handle an unlimited number of houses, septic tanks or sewage treatment plants unless they are just here to make a quick buck and move on. I have described my motivations as selfish. I would like to think that my children and grandchildren would have the oportunity, if they are as fortunate as I, to live here for a good part of the year and enjoy what this island can offer if we don't screw it up.
PS: As a point of clarification, all the dollars I am talking about here are Belize not US dollars. I would not want the readers to think this is even more of a boondoggle than it is. The price of the least expensive home is $49,500 Belize for a 437 square foot home.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 05-25-2002).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.