Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1440 04/04/06 04:28 PM
OP Offline
Let us begin by apologizing to all the kind folks whose trip reports we have enjoyed for being so tardy in posting our own. It was one year ago that we came back to San Pedro fro TWO get that TWO amazing weeks. Let's see if we can recreate a few of the many great memories.

Following last minute logistical screw up from Cheap Tickets (we can elaborate if anyone needs a warning), we arrive in BZ and I quickly buy a beer at the airport awaiting our connection to SP. Always expensive AND always worth it! It has been amazing, if a bit bittersweet, to watch the airport grow up over the last eight years. Oh well, a couple quick "Bellies" and we are off to SP. No stall lights and buzzers to add some excitement just amazing blue below and the spell begins...

Armando meets us at the airport and we quickly load and head off to Oasis del Caribe care of Caye Management. Imagine our surprise when a loaded suitcase of animal supplies for SAGA ends up being swapped for someone else's identical red suitcase. Damn! That sucks for both of us, but we are rescued quickly and graciously by Lisa and Miguel at Oasis. Saga gets the goods and we are thrilled to see the fridge stocked with some essentials (rum [Not available here- boo-hoo], Belikin [now available stateside http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.as...=All&nocontinue=s&cntShpng1Rec=1 ] fresh juices). We were a bit worried about phase two construction at Oasis, but NEVER noticed a thing the whole trip!

Well, well, well where to eat. Fido's is always a must for fish and chips so off we go to sit on the porch and pinch ourselves that we have 13 more days in paradise. The next day we arrange to rent bikes for week one and head of in search of a late breakfast with pancakes for the little man. Lily's came well recommended and it was great. I highly recommend traveling with a cute little blond guy who loves to talk to people. Everywhere we went he was a hit and loved the nice people he met. Stomachs full we head back to Oasis to try out the beautiful pool there.

Long story shorter, Z-man goes from anxious beginner week one to intrepid jumper week two. He was not keen on the Caribbean as there were "things floating" around him, but he did venture out in the shallows near the cut the second week. By the end of the trip he was holding his breath and asking to be pushed to the bottom of the pool to fetch toys. He will never forget learning to swim in BZ. cool

So the basic agenda is set. Late breakfast, swimming, noshing on groceries from Ritchie's (I think that was the name of the market just north of town where the men who ran the place treated our son like royalty with treats every time he came in!), re-hydrating with the best beverages on earth, naps in the afternoon and then wonderful dinners followed by more re-hydration. Rinse and Repeat...

Great meals from classics like BC's, Elvi's, Jam-bel Jerk, Estel's, Celi's, Papi's were expanded by new favorites like Carambas (note the picture of our son with the Spongebob balloon - they called him that when he came in and he loved it) and Hamilton's Waterfront just north of the cut - Where the food is second only to the best hosts you can find anywhere! We also sampled the various "Resident Roadside Vendors" near the park - excellent and found an amazing local woman just behind us at Oasis. $2 BZ for some of the freshest burritos you can ask for. We could go on, but many have probably dozed off reading by now. shocked

I do not recommend biking the beachfront while tipsy (and P.O.d that the Illini lost in the tournament). I had a bad encounter with some local youth who were probably screwing around more than threatening me, but I laid the bike down and stepped on something that mangled my big toe for the duration. mad Oh well, more local anesthetic to the rescue.

Cholo was so friendly (nice to meet him in person), Stephen Hamilton is a must meet for some amazing conversation, food and Chilean wine. Marie Sharps rules and I am still convinced that the only reason they will not let Caribbean White or One Barrel out of the country is to force us to come back or beg for a mule to carry some back (any willing parties please e-mail me LOL). We did not snorkel this time as Z was only three, but next year he will be five and we can't wait to take him to Hol Chan.

Hope SAGA got good use from our suppliers and we will look forward to another great visit next year. Additional apologies for length, but what a joy to wait and get all juiced up recalling this magical place...Cheers to all and thanks for letting us share. smile

-MnKnZnR

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/msweeps05/album?.dir=ee13&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

All the Best,

mnknznr
#1441 04/04/06 07:13 PM
Thanks for sharing....Cute Z-man smile

#1442 04/05/06 08:35 AM
Yes, we're happy to enjoy no matter when it arrives : ) Thanks for posting!

#1443 04/05/06 09:26 AM
Another great post.living the dream days puts smiles on your face...Wonderful photos of the family..thanks for the report, Go live life and enjoy..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#1444 04/05/06 10:49 AM
RMT Offline
What a lovely family. smile It reminds me of our trips there with our little blonde guy too and all the fun we had. Thanks for posting your pictures!

#1445 04/05/06 11:43 AM
Cute pics! Glad you had fun!!!

#1446 04/05/06 05:04 PM
OP Offline
Thank you all for the kind comments. Can't wait to have the new little man, five weeks old now, squish some Belizean sand between his toes. Hope all are well and toasting the joy that BZ brings even electronically to so many people. Be well...

All the Best,

mnknznr
#1447 04/06/06 04:54 AM
S
S
Wonderful pictures. Z-man is awesome...quite the adventurer. Congrats upon and welcome to his brother!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.