Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144259 - 06/14/02 06:28 PM Why San Pedro?
midwest traveler Offline
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site. It has helped tremendously in our planning. Going to Belize in early July. Can those of you that have been there tell me why I should stay on AC over CC? From all I've read I feel there are distinct differences, but all I can really pin down is that there are more resorts and restaurants. Can you give me an idea of the "feel" of the two islands? Also I read somewhere that the day trips are more expensive on AC...is that really true? Thanks.

#144260 - 06/14/02 09:30 PM Re: Why San Pedro?
rickcheri Offline
In my opinion, there is more LIFE on AC...depends on what your preference is??? On AC, you can go where there will be people-several places-day and night...and you can "get away" from it all. CC is way more laid back...more quiet...less to do...etc..again-depends on your preference??? C How long will you be there?? Maybe you could spend some time on both...it's just a little boat ride from each other

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 06-14-2002).]

#144261 - 06/14/02 11:41 PM Re: Why San Pedro?
rickcheri Offline
ABSOLUTLEY....Get HillyBoo to take you and ya'll can fish going there and coming back!!! Let us know if ya want his ###..He's fun and is a local!! I don't THINK he does diving, but posibbly....or someone on CC could take you!!! You c an stop at Hol Chan and Shark and Stingray Alley on the way!! And do lunch on CC and spend the day.....C

#144262 - 06/15/02 06:29 AM Re: Why San Pedro?
Richard Chambers Offline
I agree with Cheri, you should take a day trip to Caulker. Big difference in activity.
We will make at least 1 trip in addition to the Lobster fest........

#144263 - 06/15/02 07:28 AM Re: Why San Pedro?
Johnboy Offline
Richard, What are you doing up so early????
Oh, You're practicing packing.....Time is drawing near--------------John

#144264 - 06/15/02 09:46 AM Re: Why San Pedro?
LaurieMar Offline
When I went to AC last month, I took a day trip to Caye Caulker. It was pretty, but dead. There was nobody there and a lot of the places were closed. I prefer more activity. It is worth a day trip. Go to the Sandbox for a Belikin, walk the beach and eat at Rasta Pasta.

#144265 - 06/15/02 09:55 AM Re: Why San Pedro?
SeaJay Offline
Cheri - could you post Hilly Boo's #? That sounds like a trip we'd like to take. Thanks! CJ

#144266 - 06/15/02 10:12 AM Re: Why San Pedro?
silkpainter Offline
I live on Caye Caulker now, but lived in San Pedro for a year before moving here. There is definitely a big difference between the 2 islands. Caye Caulker caters to the budget traveler, backpackers, Europeans, is much more laid back, has only a handful of golf carts and about 4 gas vehicles used for hauling cargo. Its much cheaper to stay on Caye Caulker, and there are a couple of places that have the amenities you expect in San Pedro. The dives and snorkel tours are cheaper and so is food. There are only 3 bars, and to some, that is a minus, but for me, its a plus. This island is not controlled by foreigners (I'm a foreigner also) the prime real estate is still owned by a few local families, and they aint sellin. Caye Caulker is the last bastion of lobster fishing, there are still families that make their living solely from fishing and freediving for conch and lobster. Most people from San Pedro come to Caye Caulker for about 2 hours as a break in their snorkel or dive tour, they get here during siesta time and all of the Caye Caulker snorkel tourists are in San Pedro (trading places), so it seems dead, it isnt dead... just deserted for a couple of hours. San Pedranos are not getting an accurate view of what its like here. On Caye Caulker, a single traveler can feel comfortable going into a restaurant and introducing themself to a partly full table of strangers and sitting down for a chat and a gnosh. The typical tourist is under 30. Don't get me wrong, I love San Pedro, I had a great apartment, and lots of friends there, and all of them thought I was CRAZY for moving here. Caye Caulker is not for everyone. If you want quiet (except for the roosters), no cars or golf carts running you down on Coconut Drive, and dont mind that there are only 3 bars, the Caye Caulker is for you.
-Lee Vanderwalker-Alamina

#144267 - 06/15/02 11:34 AM Re: Why San Pedro?
Richard Chambers Offline
Hey John,
Packing 100# into a 10# backpack takes alot of practice,believe me!
Richard..........Actually,the dog kicked me out of bed early this am!

#144268 - 06/15/02 10:29 PM Re: Why San Pedro?
rickcheri Offline
SEAJAY...my husband Rick has his ### stashed somewhere and i don't dare try to find it in that mess!!!! He is off tomorrow and i'm sure he will post Hilly's ## then!!! C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 80 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,729 Topics
461,287 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.