Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#144520 - 07/17/02 04:06 PM Rental Cars in Chetamul
CMNate Offline
Has anyone rented a car there before? I am trying to get around to some properties near Majahaul and Xcalak and it doesn't look like it will be possible (I only have a small window coming from Cancun) unless I rent my own car and that's the closest city that I've heard you can get rentals. I haven't heard that you could do one way rentals (which would be the best plan), but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.
Also, I did hear that I could hire a boat from Xcalak that would drop me off in San Pedro, but I hear it costs $200 (more than I am willing to pay) and I'm not sure how that would work with immigration.

Nate

#144521 - 07/17/02 10:18 PM Re: Rental Cars in Chetamul
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I've not rented a car in Chetumal, and I'm told rentals are hard to find in that town, but Avis has, or did have, a location at the Hotel Los Cocos. However, I don't see a Chet location listed for Avis. Probably one of the other hotels in Chetumal could help arrange a car rental. You might be better off renting in Cancun or Playa del Carmen where there are lots of tourists and lots of rental car places.

--Lan Sluder

#144522 - 07/17/02 10:25 PM Re: Rental Cars in Chetamul
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Follow-up:

corozal.com has this to say about rental cars in Chetumal (guess Avis is now Aventura Maya):

Continental Rent-A-Car has their rental desk in the lobby of the Holiday Inn. Rates range from about 200 pesos per day for a VW sedan, to about 460 pesos per day for a Tracker. Mileage is about 1.25 to 1.50 pesos per kilometer. There are weekly rates also. FAX: (983) 2-24-11. TEL: (983) 2-11-00 ext. 191.

Aventura Maya has a rental desk in the lobby of the Hotel Las Cocas. FAX: (91 983) 2-05-44. TEL: 2-09-20. You can also get a message to Aventura Maya by addressing it to the hotel's email address: hcocos@astro.net.mx

--Lan Sluder

#144523 - 08/06/02 08:18 PM Re: Rental Cars in Chetamul
Barbara K Offline
Try Susan at Caribbean Holidays. She seems to have a good Avis connection. susan@caribbeanholidays.net

#144524 - 08/06/02 08:55 PM Re: Rental Cars in Chetamul
CMNate Offline
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to have to save the rental car for my next trip (Nov.) when I have more time. I have learned that the area that I want to get to will take a lot more time than I will have. I'll probably just bounce around Playa del Carmen until it gets close to flight time.

Nate

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,045 Topics
462,253 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.