Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#144525 - 07/19/02 08:59 AM Banana Beach vs Xanadu
sandb Offline
Thank you all for the wonderful source of info on AC.
We are celebrating two 50th birthdays on AC in December.
While being somewhat anal and having read all the messages we are still torn between Banana Beach and Xanadu.

#144526 - 07/19/02 09:11 AM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
Johnboy Offline
We stayed next door to BB 2 weeks ago, used their pool ,& everybody that we talked to said they loved it....BB--hands-down..

#144527 - 07/19/02 09:21 AM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
sweetjane Offline
i have heard only positive things on xanadu as well.

#144528 - 07/19/02 11:35 AM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I think they're both very good places.

Some differences:

* With the new addition, Banana Beach is much larger, with around 67 units. Believe Xanadu has 10, maybe 12, one-bedroom condo suites (units have lofts with an additional bed).

* Banana Beach is more traditional construction, reinforced concrete with a Mexican-influence style, especially the original building. Xanadu is unique in that is has dome construction with thatch roof.

* Banana Beach has a wider variety of rooms, from regular hotel rooms to four-bedroom suites (in the addition the hotel has the ability to combine several one-bedroom units into a single large suite). The majority of units at Banana Beach, however, are one-bedroom suites with a bedroom, kitchen/living area.

* Banana Beach has two pools, Xanadu one, but Banana Beach's are "courtyard" pools, inside the central patios.

* Xanadu is a little closer to town.

* Banana Beach's management and staff are top-notch; nothing wrong with Xanadu's either but Banana Beach is known for its professional and friendly staff.

* Xanadu throws in free use of bikes, canoes, etc. Banana Beach does not.

* Banana Beach has always been known for its superior value, and it's still a top value though prices may be a little higher or a little firmer than before, and Xanadu has been discounting some, so the prices may be closer.

* The beaches are similar. There's a low seawall right in front of Banana Beach and, if I remember correctly, not a seawall at Xanadu, but you can walk a few steps at Banana Beach and be on a beach without seawall.

* Depending on when you go, Banana Beach may have its on-site restaurant open, but in any case there are plenty of good restaurants on the island.

Believe in my guide to the island, San Pedro Cool, we give Banana Beach four stars and Xanadu three and a half.

I'd be very happy at either, though I'm still a big fan of the second and third floor seafront corner suites at Banana Beach, and especially so when the old A/Cs are replaced with new units.

--Lan Sluder www.belizefirst.com
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#144529 - 07/19/02 12:05 PM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
o jackie Offline
Thanks Lan, YOU really eased my mind.I guess I made a good choice.

#144530 - 07/20/02 12:55 PM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
o jackie Offline

#144531 - 07/25/02 06:39 PM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
B_b_f_b Offline
Banana Beach - I'm a regular now!!!! Hope to be there in November for my 4th time.

#144532 - 07/30/02 05:29 PM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
GetMeOuttaHere! Offline
Hi, Sandb:
I will be blunt in order to emphasize the point I'm trying to make:
Stayed in Banana Beach: it's a glorified Howard Johnson's....really....not that there's anything wrong with that, just highly overrated, especially the front desk staff that collectively had the personalities of those who are heavily sedated, or victims of frontal lobotomies.....and we stayed there.
Xanadu: much, much prettier. The British couple who owns the place was kind enough to give me spf #30 that had been left in their front office by previous guests (I couldn't find any in any of the stores on the island). As the bottle was almost full, I offered them money, which they refused. Additionally, the thatched roofed condos had a real island feel, the pool was beautifully landscaped, and right on the beach - not a plain rectangle, enclosed in a courtyard like Banana Beach.
It is a comfortable walk to town from Xanadu, whereby the walk from BB was a schlep.
Xanadu has bicyles and kayaks, free of charge to their guests.
So, I would never again stay at Banana Beach, but when I go back to Ambergris, which I love, I will stay at either the Xanadu or the Banyan Bay, or, if I want to do the Jungle Jane thing, I'd even stay at the charmingly tiny Mata Rocks.
Happy double birthdays and I hope this helps.

#144533 - 07/30/02 07:55 PM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
o jackie Offline
You could have waited til I was gone, to post that lovely Banana Beach report.

#144534 - 07/30/02 09:43 PM Re: Banana Beach vs Xanadu
CMNate Offline
Don't worry Jackie, we don't need a thatched roof to know that we're on an island. Personally, I don't plan on spending that much time by the pool staring at the roof anyway.
I'll have to see for myself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.