Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
RobertE Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, Going back for our third dive trip and you think I would know this. What is the going rate for tipping on a two tank dive.

Apparently I overtip. I'm a generous guy what can I say. Can any one give me a range.
I don't want to insult with too little and not throw money away too.

Thanks,

Robert

Every dollar they are/were worth plus all you think they should get plus 20% of your net worth.
Hey--you asked!!
Dangerous question don't you think?

Jim
hi

I usually tell my guests to tip my guys based on the service they received, if they thought the Dm and captain went over and beyond his duties then tip him accordingly if however he thought they did a mediocre job then tip accordingly also and also let me know so i can improve service.

it is not my beleif that my guys should get tipped for the sake of being tipped i encourage and tell my staff that good service will reward them with good above the norm tips and in most instances it does, in some cases thought i am flabbergasted when i see the staff working there butts off and the visitor does not even tip them anything it blows me away.

A good basis is to tip what you would normally tip in your home country ie 10-15% of the cost of the service so if a 2 tank costs $55 your tip should be $15-20 bze

If they did an exceptional job use your own judgement

best regards

Gaz cooper
Gaz cooper's Dive Belize www.GazCoopers.com

Oh heck, I didn't know tipping was expected in Belize. I thought tipping was for cows or Americans. So really, are we supposed to tip DMs and such? Where else is tipping expected?

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

B
BC Offline
B
I normally plan on $5.00 US per tank, per diver. If I get a great DM & captain then I do more and reward them for a job well done. If the DM is a "zero", I do not believe in rewarding for poor service.
Now speaking from my point of view as a DM, I agree with the Pier that 20% of your net worth is just about right.

[This message has been edited by BC (edited 09-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by BC (edited 09-09-2002).]

D
D
Tyshep

You asked about discounted dive prices for a "Couple of Dives" on another board..I can imagine what your dives would be like if the DM and Cap knew in advance that you would not tip.

They can take the easy way or they can show you a good time and earn a few extra bucks...

Happy Diving

I've always tipped for any "service related" type job. I tip for the service I receive.
Even living here locally!

RobertE Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all for the advice everyone.

BC - Going down in November if you and Sam want to tag along.
I'll be working Scuba Extasea on Friday and Sunday, stop by the Scuba Den booth if you guys come to town.

I generally tip $5/tank unless there was exceptional service and/orspotting or if I needed extra help for some reason.

I do not apply this same practice to day trips (usually 3 tanks). Daytrips, I tip $25 as the base and more if the service was extra special. That's a long hard day for these guys. Think of it, we get up to the dock around 6 to catch the boat; they've already been at it getting everything ready. Then they have to look after us all the day including lunch, drinks on the way back, etc. and then clean up after we're napping in our room before dinner. I think that's worth more than $5/tank.

Hey, and if it's *not* worth more than $5/tank, then I sure wish somebody would tell me so. [Linked Image]

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

B
BC Offline
B
Wish we could go, but if I do one more trip before Christmas I'll be out of a job and a wife.
We will be at the Expo on Sat or Sun, not sure yet which day. We make apoint to stop and see ya. Maybe we can get together after the Expo and catch up on things.
See ya

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.