Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#14610 - 04/15/02 04:55 PM Dangriga
mountain Larry Offline
Hello folks,
I was looking for information on lodging in Dangriga. Is it a place that people would recommend visiting? or should we bypass the town? My wife and I thought about spending a night there before going down to Placenia.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Larry

#14611 - 04/15/02 05:10 PM Re: Dangriga
trina Offline
Dangriga is a jumping off place for folks going to places like Tobacco Caye and some of the smaller cayes. A transportation hub for buses too. The folks there are friendly and it's the center of Garifuna culture. But it's not specifically geared to tourists. There's a lot of agricultural activity there, I seem to remember. Maybe somone else can chime in who might know more.

#14612 - 04/15/02 06:15 PM Re: Dangriga
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I agree with Trina. Unless you have a special interest in Garifuna culture, there's not much there for visitors. Even if you do want to experience Garifuna culture, Hopkins is a Garifuna village that is more accessible, friendlier and safer.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First www.belizefirst.com

#14613 - 04/15/02 06:52 PM Re: Dangriga
NYgal Offline
Dangriga is a nice place to visit, but not much is offered in the line of "resorts" or lodging. "Pals" is one place near the shoreline that has a few rooms for a night, we have not been there, but they do have a website.

We always make sure to visit the stores, the open market and make conversations with the people that live there. That is our way of enjoying the towns/villages. It is also where we pay our taxes. If you skip over Dangriga then you have missed something.
Then we head to Hopkins. It is a much smaller village and very likeable as well.

There are many people in Dangriga that are happy to point you in the right directions to places, ie; banks, groceries and eateries.

We also love to watch the children as they come home from school for their lunch break and return. They are all uniformed and it indicates the schools they go to.

I've yet to see any problem situations in town. We have friends that live there and love it. We have spent nights with our friends but we didn't wander. It wasn't in our plan.

We don't bar hop, so that may be a reason for some to want to skip it too. We did have a cocktail at a friendly little bar and drank on the front porch of the establishment.

Our reasons for going to Belize are not always the same as others, but how can you see things if you don't make that stop?

It's entirely up to the person on their vacation.

Enjoy your visit, no matter what you do or where you go in Belize, we do.

#14614 - 04/15/02 10:04 PM Re: Dangriga
M-A Gaffney Offline
www.pelicanbeachbelize.com www.palsbelize.com
There is a great view of town & sea from the roof of Central Hotel.

#14615 - 04/15/02 10:22 PM Re: Dangriga
trina Offline
Yes, nygal that reminds me. In the Garifuna village of Seine Beight, you MUST stop at Lola's Art Gallery and CAfe. Seine Bight is just up the road (north) from Placencia. Anyway, Lola's is off the road a bit in a sugar cane field. Lola is very friendly, and will show you her artwork. My hubby and I stopped there on our bike tour two years in a row and spent a pleasant while with Lola. She explained to us the history of Garifuna culture...very interesting. It's these little "off the beaten track" moments which are the BEST. I think they have music nights every once in a while there, although, sadly we never made it. Seek out the local businesses and people...that's what it's all about, to me.

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 04-15-2002).]

#14616 - 04/15/02 11:38 PM Re: Dangriga
karin Offline
In Dangriga, a nice place to stay is Chaleanor. You can email the owner, Chad at dssusher@btl.net Chad is so great, always trying to help !...

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 95 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.