Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
uprrgal Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Can anyone offer any suggestions for reasonable accomodations in the Cayo District for 4 nights. We are on a budget, but don't mind spending the money if we get good value. Where would someone stay to be centrally located to do everything on a 4 night/5 day trip? We don't want to be too isolated and dependent on a resorts transportation. But we like the idea of a jungle setting. Also, does anyone know of a good website that has a good map of the area?

If you decide you don't want a jungle lodge, the Aguada Hotel near San Ignacio is excellent; for US$25-30 double you get a nice clean newish room, A/C and there's a pool.

For a moderately priced jungle lodge, I'd say you should look at Banana Bank near Belmopan, the safari camp at Chaa Creek (US$100 for two including meals), Crystal Paradise on the Cristo Rey road and the less expensive digs at duPlooy's. Two places that aren't really jungle lodges but are sort in the bush are Nabitunich and Green Heaven. Clarissa Falls also is in that category.

If you'll go to our Belize First Web edition at www.belizefirst.com and then click on the Belize First Mainland Guide, you can download free a couple of my chapters on Cayo which lists and rates these all all other hotels in the district plus provides other current info.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I have to agree with Lan on the recommendation for the Aguada in Santa Elena (5 minutes drive from San Igacio)I've stayed there several times. Clean, freshwater pool, nice restaurant, reasonable rates.
--Silk
www.caribbean-colors.com

Tropicool Hotel is inexpensive and in town, without having to take a taxi like you would need to for the Aguada. It is closer to food, shopping, and guides. Very clean, family run place.

I was totally impressed with DuPlooy's. It was awesome. The rooms were very large. Although we had our own cabana. (There are cheaper rooms in the pink house)Fresh flowers, fridge in the room, the food in dining room was superb. The bar has a deck that hangs out over the canopy. Just beautiful. It's on the Macal River, so you can swim as well. That experience was almost surreal. I can't say enough about that. The cliffs on the opposite bank were covered in bromiliads. lovely. The tours they had available were first rate, and they also had canoes available to guests. They will pick you up in San Ignacio after your canoe trip. They will also drop you in town for shopping and dancing if you like. I was VERY impressed. The gounds were lovely and they also had a botanical garden on site. I think you would like it.
Debbie

We really liked Caesar's along the highway west of san ignacio.

very reasonably priced, clean rooms, nice bar, good food. very relaxing and beautiful grounds.

I'll put in my 2 cents for the Aguada also. We spent 2 nights there just recently and were totally happy w/everything. Wonderful family who runs the hotel and Bill can help w/any trips/tours!

M
M
I would recommend DuPlooys. They have a range of accomodation to suit all budgets. I've put together a small site for their budget Pink House.
http://195.171.167.210/duplooys/pinkhouse.htm

Good luck

Mike

I've heard so many nice things about duplooy's on the board, decided that's the place for us. Actually made all of our reservations at various places based on the board, And of course Lan's book!

L
L
Definitely agree with Debbie, Duplooy's is awesome. I stayed there myself and we had our own bungalow. The food was good. Tours are great also. They're very accomadating especially if your not sure what tours you want to do on what days. As long as you let the front desk know the day before you want to leave you pretty much can do whatever excursions you want on 24 hr notice. Their massage service is superb too. It's in a cool palapa and their planning on turning it into a spa from what I was told when I was there in March. I definitely recommend Duplooy's. Their drivers are good too and point out numerous places along your trip to wherever your going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.