Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#146783 12/15/02 10:50 PM
RD Offline OP
OP Offline
This is my first contribution to this site...have to say that I have been enjoying it for months..... My reason for writing is that I am totally po'd with BTL's service for internet. We live here in Ambergris Caye and 90% of the time we cannot get a connection above 26 Kbsp... thus making it impossible to download information from a lot of sites on the web. It is especially annoying to us when our children try to send photos by email from Canada and it it takes 20 minutes to download a dozen small photos!!!!! Am I alone in this .... could I be at fault in some way? I am so upset with them.... and they are so expensive.....which is one thing I could accept if I could get decent service. Anybody out there have some comments or suggestions?
R&D

#146784 12/15/02 11:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
At your request BTL will check for noise and make sure you have a clear, quiet line. This usually improves the speed a great deal. You do have a faster modem?

#146785 12/16/02 12:13 AM
S
S
You should do a search of old threads on this bbs for "satellite" and "internet" and you will find info on how to get satellite internet in Belize. Equipment is expensive but monthly charges are around $70-80 US per month for unlimited access (except when the satellite goes down in bad weather...) If you are on the net a lot you will get the most bang for your buck, if you have the bucks.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#146786 12/16/02 05:04 AM
R&D

Were all in the same boat

BTL SUCKS

Instead of posting $44 Million in profits maybe they should improve there service and equipment,

The moment a reputable competition comes in BTL is HISTORY.

#146787 12/16/02 05:05 AM
I will say its better than nothing though

ONLY JUST

#146788 12/16/02 08:24 AM
S
S
Satellite Internet:
Ken: 226-2310
Jackson: 226-3420

#146789 12/16/02 10:17 AM
i would trade my dsl for a life on ac anyday. now did i just put things in prospective for yall.
gay

#146790 12/16/02 10:50 AM
H
H
We came to San Pedro a few years ago from Canada and placed our kids in internet school in a Canadian school district.
Did not take me long to switch to a satellite broadband once I realized the cost from btl.
Recently my wife and I have went to Houston for training with DiRECWAY Satellite Broadband. We are now dealers and installers for that company. We can also service the equipment.
We selected training from this company because they are huge in the industry and now have a satellite in a favorable position for us. This means that you can use the small dish that is so nice and easy to deal with.
Once installed the cost is only $59.00 a month .. 24 hours connection and a high speed on at that.
Please email me at [email protected] for more information or post your e-mail and will get back you if you wish.

#146791 12/17/02 11:00 AM
Belize has come a long way in a short time - if you had a little more sense of perspective perhaps you would not complain. Until recently there was no cellular phone service in the country of Belize, and very limited land-line service. When we moved here, many folks on the island communicated by way of two-way radios, and the Pier Lounge kept their base station open as a central clearing house for urgent messages. Electricity was in the heart of town only, and was made by noisey diesel generators that worked "most of the time". All sewage disposal was via septic systems in town, and the tap water came from a central well ....... even the nicest hotels in town had no water for showers at 7:30 am. If you found lettuce for sale once a month you felt you had hit the jackpot in the veggie department. Internet is here - that is GOOD news. BTL is not a great company - we all suffer for their greed and inefficiency - "BUT" - if anybody is coming here thinking Belize will meet the technical standards set by first-world countries, then they will be disappointed. In Belize we are still trying to get running water to villages, and shoes on kid's feet. Large number of people in this country still have dirt floors in their homes and have never been to the dentist.

#146792 12/17/02 01:27 PM
RD Offline OP
OP Offline
Putting things in perspective, internet service is not a real high priority, however what I do resent is being charged so much for a truly inferior service. I agree that Belize is a developing country and as such, we never ever expected to have the same services, technology, etc. that is available in the US or Canada. That is part of the charm... however, I believe that to just sit back and accept things as they are without question because "this is a developing country" is rather stupid to say the least. Somehow, I just dont see the relation between expecting a decent service that you pay for and for example, getting floors put in houses! Of course the things you mentioned are much, much more important than internet service... I just dont see what one has to do with the other?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.