Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#147301 01/04/03 10:17 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Please consider the following blather as the second installment of the "Kim Chronicles".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been a "cold" couple of days in Placencia--maybe in the 70's. The locals are wearing sweatshirts and drinking lots of coffee.
(LOL...Robert is logging some of the best sleep of his life, though, 'cuz life has literally some to a stand still down here. We're 2 of SCANT few
visitors. Everyone is treating us like visiting dignitaries. Geez, the Placencians are such warm people!)

NOTE: Our room at Miraposa is beautiful. There's glorious Italian and Mexican tile throughout with mahogany and natural woods surrounding your every move. In our living room, Marcia/Peter even thought to bring in a local artist to handpaint Mayan gods/kings/characters around the ceiling (think Placencia's version of crown molding). Toss in some of Marcia's welcoming stew and Peter's banana bread...and no wonder it's such a struggle to get Robert to leave!

A little old man that I keep happening upon each time I ride to town has a bunch of the local littl'uns calling me "Tejas LEEN-da". At first I gently corrected them, but as the old man shook his head smiling yesterday, I think he was maybe paying me a compliment. I think he was teaching the kids to call me roughly, "pretty lady from Texas". So sweet! (Please note: if I'm wrong, it just doesn't matter. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Two nights ago, we were enjoying a Belikins by torch light at the Sand Bar (at Kitty's)...a palapa maybe a US block or so up our beach. Around the hut are several windswept palms...the ones that have been battling hurricane season for so long that they seem to be considering laying down on the sand rather than tickling the sky. As I looked at one of them, I realized
there were two eraser-sized glowing eyes staring back at me. As I went to investigate, the eyes began a sideways scurry up the tree. Once I got
there, there was the most comical fist-sized crab, first challenging me to a standoff...then climbing for cover in the coconuts once he realize that I may be throwing down more bulk than he was. (Of course, he may have spoken
to the one I stepped on earlier this eek. "Watch out for the white woman!!! She's big and not particulary bright!")

Went up the Monkey River yesterday, but the weather is calling all of the animals into the greater depths. (Kinda a bummer--we had been looking forward to this one.) Saw several species of birds and two of the howlers...a mom and on adorable baby.

Dad, you'll be pleased to know though, that our first crocodile came within Olympic spitting distance of our boat. He was maybe 5 to 6 feet long, but relatively skinny.

Stopped in Monkey River Town (during the boat trip), where we ate fish balls--yeah, i dunno...but they were good! The local school teacher entrusted me with blank original tests (all hand-written) for the elementary school kids. She wanted them boated back to town,
photocopied, then one of the fishermen could ferry them back to the clapboard school later. When she was done talking with us, she rung a giant handheld bell to call the kids back to class from their homes nearby.

Monkey River has a closet-sized police station...with an even smaller jail
(which doesn't lock). Unfortunately, they have no police. I guess it's sorta run on the honor system. (I was a very bad girl! ;-)

Last night, Robert and I were walking down the beach back from the store in town...and outta the darkeness from a teen-aged palm in front of us,
this raccoon-sized, heavy-bodied, short-legged, snouted, no-tailed creature fell from the tree. It made a sound kinda like I'd make if I fell on my back (HUFFGH!)...and ran off in a rather (similarly) embarrassed manner. That was our first "gibnut"...or "royal rat". Whenever the royal family comes to town they request this delicacy. The locals don't eat it, but if
the royals want it, it's all good!

Going snorkling today, then leaving for two days to Ian Anderson's Cave's Branch. After that, it's on to Ek Tun...my expected highlight of the
trip. Been waiting for this one since 1999! I doubt that I'll have any contact before Thanksgiving Tuesday, as after tomorrow, our lodging selections won't even have electricity (though maybe the main camps will have
connectivity).

Talk to you as soon as I can!

Love y'all!

K.

#147302 01/04/03 10:56 AM
awesome travelogue, keep em coming!

#147303 01/04/03 12:37 PM
Please post soon - I'm interested in what sort of trouble laugh , eh, I mean activities you did at Ian Andersons like that black hole drop thing. Keep em coming.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.