Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#14789 - 06/30/02 07:32 AM Thatch or Concrete?
belize4me Offline
I am moving to Belize and have plans to build a small waterfront resort. It will be located in northern Belize in the Corozal Town area. About 6 - 8 a/c rooms, swimming pool, restaurant & bar.
I am wondering what people like better.
Thatch cabañas or concrete building.
The Belize Tourist Board recommended that I should build a concrete motel type building. Others I have talked to say that
I should build thatch cabañas kind of like Ramon's Village (the original individual units) or Captain Morgan's.
What do you forum readers think? Help, confused...

#14790 - 07/01/02 01:51 AM Re: Thatch or Concrete?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I responded to your message in the Ambergris Caye section. In short, I think you'll lose your shirt on either one. I love Corozal, but in my opinion it isn't yet viable for tourism. And in Coro you'll get almost zero support from the BTB.

--Lan Sluder

#14791 - 07/16/02 09:33 PM Re: Thatch or Concrete?
munichchick Offline
We always prefer resorts with Palapa Thatch Roofs over concrete Hotels. We love the look of Ramon's and Captain Morgan's!

#14792 - 07/18/02 08:32 PM Re: Thatch or Concrete?
susangg Offline
Northern Belize is a great place to live modestly and comfortably but not a place to make money and particularly not in tourism.
As Lan, who knows more about tourism and the economics thereof than probably anyone I can think of, states, you will lose a lot of money. There is no money in tourism infrastructure in the Corozal area. There may be opportunities in residential housing development in the area, you should probably have a chat with Bill Wildman. Corozal, Consejo, etc. has good potential for retiree and emigre housing and there is ample land available for that purpose.
On the other hand, you may have a lot of money or you may be looking for a tax shelter or something other than income. Don't want to pry....
As far as the BTB is concerned, if you are at the stage of investing large sums of money in Belize you must already know that the purposes of government agencies in Belize (as in most places) is not to assist the business community but to extract every penny it can from it. There are organizations that can help you in tourism development (such as BTIA for example, the various chambers of commerce, etc.) but it is most imprudent to look to government entities to assist you. The best thing you can hope for from the government is benign neglect (that they leave you alone). Keep your hand firmly on your wallet at all times.
If you are very lucky and plan well, you MAY (in a few years) be able to make enough money from whatever you develop to allow you to live comfortably albeit modestly in Belize but that is the most you can expect. Northern Belize is a very nice place to do that. You may want to visit www.belizenorth.com for some helpful advice from a long term resident there.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (BrownDogs, 2 invisible), 67 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,027 Topics
462,227 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.