Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#148063 02/03/03 08:41 PM
D
OP Offline
D
OK all you water lovers out there. I'm heading for Belize/Ambergris Caye in two weeks. Want to do a lot of SCUBA diving, so I"m wondering what's the water temp. I'm trying to figure out what type of exposure suit I need: Skin, polertec, something heavier.
I tend to get cold, especially after doing multiple dives. Any help?????????????

#148064 02/03/03 10:37 PM
Not positive about this early, but, if ya get cold easy a 3mil full suit will be comfortable. I wore a shorty in April and was only cold on the Blue Hole dive..157'. Several other divers wore a hood too...a british couple I believe, they swore by the hood. I plan on bringing my 3mil, just to be toasty. Make sure you hit the outter Atolls..they rock..if ya can do an overnight you won't regret it!

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#148065 02/04/03 12:23 AM
divediva, I'm arriving in approx 2 weeks as well and plan to do a lot of diving. Gaz and I have just been discussing the water temps. Normally they'd be around 81F, give or take a degree. But there have been continuous Northers for the past 2-3 months and the water temp dropped considerably.

The good news (for you and I, at any rate) is that the water temp is rising again at this time. It's now around 77F, according to Gaz. That's still a bit chilly to me in my full 3mm. I'll need a hood for that and probably wouldn't mind a 5 mil on my core.

Even when the water temp is 81F, I wear a 3 mm and can get chilled after a few days of dedicated diving, but that's me. Everyone is different, what are you used to? What's the norm for you? Do you usually do many dives over many days and at what water temp? What protection do you usually wear under those circumstances?

The point I'm trying to make here, is that while I need a full 3 mm in 81F water, some people like Axeman are fine in a shorty.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#148066 02/04/03 03:53 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the info, it's all very helpful.

I think I'll be on the safe side and since I have room in my bag, I'll end up taking a shorty and my 5 mil.

I rather be too warm (can always leave the zipper open) then be too cold. Cuz when I'm cold, I'm just miserable.....just ask my husband......

Thanks again.

#148067 02/04/03 11:37 PM
I just wanted to add that i was diving in SP late November and was never cold in the water (full 3mil), but on the boat after/between dives, especially when we were moving, i got very cold. I had a towel, but wished i had something else to keep warm on the ride back in.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 301 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.