Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#148170 - 02/11/03 05:41 AM rental car, bus or transfer
LJW Offline
3 of us are trying to get from Belize Airport into the Cayo, probably Caves Branch. We already feel like we don't have enough time. We arrive around noon and only have 2 nights there. How should we get there to ensure the best for our time and money. Is there much difference from the bus and the private transfer. I know there is in money, but what about time. A rental car seems to be cheaper than a transfer, but I'm not very excited about driving. Thoughts??? Thanks.

#148171 - 02/11/03 07:13 AM Re: rental car, bus or transfer
Gela Offline
LJW, I've done a little research recently on this very subject. Since there's 3 of you, you can probably get a decent transportation deal through the hotel you choose to stay at in Cayo District. They can meet you at the airport and save you the time it would take to get a car, or getting to a bus station. Check "About other parts of Belize" for some recent discussion on where to stay. That should help.

#148172 - 02/11/03 07:34 AM Re: rental car, bus or transfer
Barbara K Offline
It's a very easy drive to Caves Branch if you want to rent a vehicle. Hotel Transfers will run you $120 each way but they are very easy. Bus is about $3 one way but much more hassle and time. If you only have 2 nights there, I'd go for the transfers or the rental vehicle, unless you are on a tight budget.

#148173 - 02/11/03 10:56 PM Re: rental car, bus or transfer
mountain Larry Offline
Dear LJW,
My suggestion is to rent a vehicle, I think what you are able to see by driving yourself is well worth the hassle. On our last trip, I can honestly say renting a car was the second smartest thing we did. (Smartest you ask? Buying Belikin from the distributorB

#148174 - 02/12/03 01:49 AM Re: rental car, bus or transfer
Marty Offline
I keep saying i will rent a vehicle, then i usually have Ian's bunch come get us.

its so direct. if you wanna wander the area around caves branch, then a car makes more sense. but with two days there, i would not leave the beautiful grounds except for hiking, caving, or going down the road to the blue hole nat'l park. about a block or two further down the road on the right.

:>

next time with more time drive to San Ignacio, Benque, peek at Xunantunich, have fun at the border, etc...

just read mountain larrys post. it is nice to have the car. i've sworn to never not get one again. but i've said that before.
i'm no help.
:>

#148175 - 02/12/03 01:56 AM Re: rental car, bus or transfer
klcman Offline
car car car - if $$ not an issue, then definitely do it. I used Louis (or Lewis, always get it mixed up) Auto Rental several times. Kevin will meet you at Golden and get ya on the road in no time.

#148176 - 02/13/03 06:40 AM Re: rental car, bus or transfer
LJW Offline
Thanks all, for your your suggestions. I've narrowed it down to.....no bus! We'll probably do the transfer thing and be helpless girls in the jungle, relying on someone to take care of us. We want to see some ruins, too. Sounds like Tikal would be too big of a trip, though. Other suggestions?

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (ragman, samalvey), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,273 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.