Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
I just heard from Mary Toy at http://kevinmodera.com that things on the lower Peninsula are beginning to get back to normal. Most of the hotel and restaurant properties are rebuilt or repaired and are fully operational now. She says about the only thing needed are more tourists. You can get lot's of information by going to her website and surfing.

Also, if you have booked flights through the search engine on my web site at http://oldgatorstravels.com I would appreciate your going back to the site and e-mailing me about your experience of booking through the site. I just want to know that you had no problems and saved money.
Thanks, "Oldgator"

The Oldgator's Homepage
http://oldgatorsnest.addr.com
It is still pretty beaten up, though, despite what Mary tells you. Several people have told me recently they are moving on from Placencia because of the conditions there. It is just taking longer to recover than anyone thought it would.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
D
D
Spent 5 days there feb 8-13. Still really a mess. Its going to take a while to come back.. Every one is working really hard on rebuilding and time will do the rest. If you have been in the past by all means go. They really need some guests to help get things moving. If its you first time keep an open mind and be flexable its a long way from where they were last year. Dont worry too much about the phone service (lack of) there was plenty of room in town for drop ins..We stayed at Westwinds, George has (at the time anyway) 6 rooms available.. newly remodeled,a couple more soon to come.But we were the only guests for several nights.They need people now.. One good thing to report Jon the bakerman was in operation and the goods were better than ever and that alone is worth the trip..

B
B
The Penensula IS back in service. OK, OK so a few things are not exactly complete and a few building and the side walk still need to be repaired.

Phones ARE operational at most locations

The water main IS operational and the water is as good as ever.

Electricity is up and running.

The gas truck comes around and fills the tanks.

The garbage man picks up the garbage on schedule (more or less)

The mail still gets to the peninsula

The gas station is in operation

Numerous restaurants are open and waiting to serve you.

Resorts and inns are readily available in a variety of catagories from High Dollar to rooms.

Bar's are open

Tourist office is open

The bank is open

Placencia breeze is being printed

Taxi service is available

Airport is fully operational

Scheduled Bus service is in operation

Hardware / Lumber Yards are open

Tour guides are waiting to take you where you want to go be it snorkeling, fishing, monkey river tour, maya ruins, butterfly farm, Jaguar reserve, etc, etc.

The biggest thing missing is greenery and that is coming back and is being replanted.

In a small community like Placencia the people need the income from tourism to complete the works and get on with their lives and provide you with an even better
Placencia than we had before.

And YES, you can still smell the aroma of fresh backed good from John The Backerman as you walk along the "smallest street in the world" (A few more pot holes)

Come visit, enjoy yourselves and help the community all at the same time.

B
B
The Peninsula IS back in service. OK, OK so a few things are not exactly complete and a few building and the side walk still need to be repaired.

Phones ARE operational at most locations

The water main IS operational and the water is as good as ever.

Electricity is up and running.

The gas truck comes around and fills the tanks.

The garbage man picks up the garbage on schedule (more or less)

The mail still gets to the peninsula

The gas station is in operation

Numerous restaurants are open and waiting to serve you.

Resorts and inns are readily available in a variety of catagories from High Dollar to rooms.

Bar's are open

Tourist office is open

The bank is open

Placencia breeze is being printed

Taxi service is available

Airport is fully operational

Scheduled Bus service is in operation

Hardware / Lumber Yards are open

Tour guides are waiting to take you where you want to go be it snorkeling, fishing, monkey river tour, maya ruins, butterfly farm, Jaguar reserve, etc, etc.

The biggest thing missing is greenery and that is coming back and is being replanted.

In a small community like Placencia the people need the income from tourism to complete the works and get on with their lives and provide you with an even better
Placencia than we had before.

And YES, you can still smell the aroma of fresh backed good from John The Backerman as you walk along the "smallest street in the world" (A few more pot holes)

Come visit, enjoy yourselves and help the community all at the same time.

M
M
Hey everybody:

Almost all the Village restaurants have re-opened, including Cozy Corners, Omars, Jake's, Merlene's BJs, the Galley. Most of the hotels that were here pre-Iris have re-opened.

Diving and snorkeling trips are going out every day that they can. Monkey River trails are open again, Cockscomb was untouched, the weather is still good, fishing is great.

And the best thing about Placencia - its people -- are alive and well, and still some of the friendliest people you'll find anywhere.

Yep, there's still some rubble and debris around, but Placencians are the ultimate recyclers, so it took awhile to comb through it all. But, there's a truck coming from the national government to pick up remaining debris (sometime toward the middle of the month, we're told).

AND (this is the exciting part), we've just launched a new non-profit organization to raise funds to rebuild the Sidewalk, including some new features such as benches, gardens, new garbage cans and lighting. AND (there's more), for a $500 BZD ($250 USD) donation, you can get your name inscribed on the Sidewalk, plus a T-shirt or bumper sticker AND recognition on our new Website (which is almost ready for publication - domain name will be www.placenciasidewalk.com).

Big party at Kitty's this Saturday, March 9 at 7 p.m. to kickoff the campaign.

Website should be up in a couple of days, and will have donation information on it, plus some interesting stuff on the history of the sidewalk (as told to us by the Village elders, including Aunt Thelo, who came to Placencia in 1939, started the school here, acted as the local nurse and delvered most of the babies born between the 30s and the early 90s.)

See you there!

Mary

(P.S. Email me at [email protected] for more information on making a donation if you can't wait until the new Website is ready!)

Kevin Modera Guide Services, Placencia, Belize
http://www.kevinmodera.com
D
D
Will be going to Placencia sometime around April 20 to 22 for a couple of days. Need a good place for a 5 year old and her mom and dad to stay. We are travelling on a very weak Canadian $ value so price matters. Don't need fancy (but of course would love it)but clean and friendly are two important criteria.

Hope everyone is moving on well after Iris...

D
D
Just got word that Serenade Guest House is open and fully operational.

The are located on the sidewalk in the heart of the village and overlooking the caribbean.

They have clean, cheap, A/C rooms with phone and internet connections.
www.belizecayes.com

e-mail [email protected]

T
T
My hubby and I have stayed at the Seaspray hotel for two years in a row and we love it! It's right on the water,near the center of everything, without being too noisy, and in my opinion, is the best bargain in Placencia. Clean, comfy room for about &25/30 US; not sure what that is Canadian. I don't know if they are operational post-Iris. Their e-mail is [email protected]. It is a GREAT place, owners are Jodi and hmmm, I can't remeber her husband's name. Anyway, they are great folks! Good luck!! We miss those guys; Placencia is the "real deal". A real Belizian, small fishing village. Gorgeous beach....I think they are rebuilding bit by bit after getting slammed by Iris!

C
C
Just wanted to know if Chuck had his place open again at Maya Playa (or is it Playa Maya)? Anyway, it is a fabulous place for true beachfront life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.