Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
We just attempted to book with the Inn at Roberts grove in Placencia for a holiday in November. They requested a deposit now and the balance paid 30 days before arrival which is fine. However they advised us that if we want to pay the deposit and the balance with a credit card they want an additional 3.5%, according to them, this is because it takes longer to process the transaction. This makes no sense to me as we are a full 6 months away from our vacation. I understand that it is a clear violation of the vender aggreement between the hotel and the credit company for them to attempt to charge additional fees. Has anyone had similar experiences with this property or other? Any feedback??

KC Offline
Some places do it, some do not. Tell them you will look at another property, one which does not want YOU to absorbe their cost for the convenience of a credit card transaction. Maybe if everyone did that, this practice would become more rare.

We own rental property on AC, so I know what it's like to be on the other side of this. Doing a credit card transaction is a convenience for both parties. I'm starting to get really hacked at places who pass on this charge. It's not right.

I'd like to know what they say if you tell them you will look for someplace else. Are they going to lose this booking for 3.5%???

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Belize isn't the U.S., and many hotels and shops do add a surcharge for credit card use. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is -- I've heard various versions -- but apparently it's permitted. Larger resorts and hotels don't usually add the surcharge, however.

I would say that Robert's Grove is a quality operation, in my opinion the best beach resort on the mainland.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
T
OP Offline
T
Just a follow up to my credit card fees topic. I e-mailed back to the hotel asking them for a clarification on their charges and also to make a couple of corrections to the booking they made for us. That was three days ago..........no reply. I respect Lan's experience and advice. In fact it was because of him that we made our first trip to AC earlier this year, but if this is the best resort on the mainland................

K
K
It is true that in the States (and Canada and Europe), resorts usually do not charge anything for credit card use... Maybe they just automatically include it in your price... and no-one notices it !... ;-) Just take it the positive way, you will be saving 3.5 % if you pay cash...

read what he said: best BEACH resort on teh mainland.

try cayo. loved it. did ya see my pics posted below?

Robert's Grove is notoriously S-L-O-W to reply. Still a top notch place.

M
M
Hey, I just had a US based live aboard dive boat levy a 3% fee on my credit card charge, so it ain't only happening here.

Maya Travel Services
S
S
I just signed up with c2it (www.c2it.com) which is run by Citibank. It allows you to accept credit card payments without having a "merchant account." It will probably be a fee-for-service process for the payee in the future but it will probably be less than the current credit card system and I don't intend to charge the fees back to my guests when and if that occurs. The downside is that the payor must also sign up (but its quick and easy and free).
I wasn't able to accept credit cards before because I could not get a "merchant account" from a bank for private condo rentals, and the other kinds were prohibitively expensive but c2it works great. It also works with bank accounts as a way to send online payments even if you don't have a credit card, by the way.....
It does not work as easily if you don't havce a US based account.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
O
O
Having been in retail and being involved now in selling antiques thru antique shops in Indiana...the business involved has to absorb the 5% charged here for credit card transactions....some businesses add the 5% charge to their prices.....therefore savy persons ask if they'll take 5% off for cash transactions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.