Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#150960 - 04/04/03 12:42 PM Having surgery.... :(
Debbie Offline
frown frown
HI Gang!!
Will be having surgery on my rotator cuff on April 21st.... Not looking forward to it, but AM looking forward to the increased use of my arm. Have no idea how I did it. Woke up with it one morning over the Christmas holiday... It's hell when you get old and you fall apart in your sleep... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Has anyone else had this type of surgery? I was curious about what to expect..... Debbie

#150961 - 04/04/03 12:58 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
Gela Offline
Debbie - how awful! eek But I'm glad you're taking care of it. I have not had that kind of surgery but I can relate to waking up one morning with it. I keep dislocating ribs from my spine - I must have some really great dreams!

I am thinking good thoughts and hope you have a speedy recovery (and as little pain as possible). Make sure the doctor gives you some pain meds - and if it's bad - use them.
Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's" frown

#150962 - 04/04/03 02:36 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
Debbie Offline
Gela, thanks for the well wishes... I had some cortisone shots in the shoulder to see if it would help. It felt good for about a week. Then the pain returned. Sleeping is misery. Beleive me..... I WILL use the pain meds... laugh
The cuff is torn, and the bone in my shoulder is crooked. They will repair the tear and shave off some of the bone, since they think it's what irritated and eventually tore the cuff from the swelling. Pain in the butt, but will be thankful to be able to curl my hair, unsnap my bra, lift a pot on the stove etc.....

#150963 - 04/04/03 02:54 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
Chloe Offline
Debbie sorry to hear of your pain. OUCH!
We will try to keep you entertained during recovery.
Wishing you the best results, and pain free.
Dare To Deviate

#150964 - 04/04/03 03:00 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
Ah, I could suggest a little something for the potential pain. Matter of fact you could start right now.

#150965 - 04/04/03 03:05 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
KB Offline
Debbie, I had spinal fussion surgery 2 yrs ago and just watched my hubby recover from a broken colar bone. Our advice is - as soon as your doctor gives you permission to start to use the arm get busy. The immobility after an injury causes stiffness and muscle loss. Getting moving again can be painful at first but the more you move the faster you will start to feel like normal. Inactivity is the killer so embrace the pain and you will get past it quickly. In the meantime good luck, enjoy the painkillers and the bad daytime tv.

#150966 - 04/04/03 03:19 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
dogmatic prevaricator Offline
As former body builder, whom longed to be respected for his mind, I can state unequivocally that without pain, there is no gain.
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

#150967 - 04/04/03 04:12 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
Debbie Offline
Chooch..... Would your recommended pain killer happen to be blue??? I have to admit. It would work.... After one of those prepared by Ernie at BC's, my brain was numb, as well as my body..... laugh

Grrrrr... I hate the exercise part... I know I have to do it though. He already has me doing exercises twice a day to reduce the muscle loss. Should help after surgery as well. thanks for the advice. Will grit my teeth and be a good girl.... wink

Thanks Chloe!! You're a dear as always...

#150968 - 04/04/03 05:30 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
Islenutt Offline
Debbie - I had similar surgery a few years ago. Mine was repairing cartilage and shaving off some bone after being hit by a door. (big ass door)
After 6 months of therapy and several cortisone injections I agreed to the surgery.
The first few days after were pretty bad in the pain department but morphine does wonders...
I now have full mobility, no pain, and the scar is not bad even though I had open surgery.
I even learned to water ski three months after!
Hang in there. It will be over before you know it and just think of all the sympathy you will get while recovering. smile

#150969 - 04/04/03 06:35 PM Re: Having surgery.... :(
Debbie Offline
Islenut.... LOL LOL LOL
Sympathy??? LOL At my house?? YOu have got to be kidding!!!! I'm the mom. I'm not allowed to be sick, on strike, injured or absent.... I can already see me trying to cook with one arm!! I have two teen boys. Ungrateful heathens!!! The only sympathy I'm going to get is from the good people on this board.... But God forbid any of them get injured or sick....Geeze...
Glad to hear you were already skiing after three months... That makes me feel better. I can't wait to be able to lay on the floor and watch TV with my hands behind my head. totally impossible at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (pamkillen, debbief, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,739 Topics
461,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.