Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Does anyone have any experience with airline tickets purchased online that instead of giving a seat # it says to check in at the counter for assignment? I have 3/4 seating assignments but the most important one ...the one from Charlotte,NC to Belize City does not! I called and they said the other seats are full but there is a percentage reserved for counter assignment.

Is that a polite way to say they are overbooking?

it could mean they have to determine if you're exit row worthy, because those are the only unassigned seats left.

I have heard it before, and always got on the plane... But, you have good reason to be skeptical!

If you live in a city with an airline satellite ticket office, bring in your record locator (or flight #s and dates) and they should be able to get you seats. If you're not in a major metro area, just go to a nearby airport and they can probably confirm your seats as well. Or call the 800#. If you have a frequent flyer acct on the airline, the frequent flyer service line can also help.

sarah smile it is true some seats are held ,for airport check in they hold exit row ,bulkhead and some other s stuff they do not want to tell us .I am in travel /cruise end of the chain do not know much about air ,but it has happen to me many many ,times never had a problem , go to the air port at least two hrs you will not have a problem .enjoy your trip I now go once a month and I love it ,good luck yours capt.jeff

Living The Dream Every Day!
On my husband's last trip, they were overbooked, and he and my daugther got bumped to first class! I think if you're there on time, you'll be fine.

Unless I do my own seat assignments that you can do on Travelocity my tickets always say check in for seat assignments. Recently I just called the airline and got my seats assigned but as long as you are there early you should have no problem with "overbooking" and not getting a seat.

KBG Offline
Last Summer on a trip to Belize with a change in Miami on a flight from New Orleans on same air line, got bumped in Miami due to no assigned seats and airline would not assign in New Orleans and by the time we got to counter in Miami it was close to departure and seats were not available. It can happen. I believe that if I had pushed harder in New Orleans that I could have gotten assignments. Turned out ok though since the air line (after some real complaining) put us up in Miami for the nite and with meal votchers. Just extended our stay a day in Belize too. Go soon and enjoy Belize. :rolleyes:

Returning from Mexico late one night, after a fun filled week, my husband and I had seat assignments on Row 36 seats A & B. The flight was packed. We went all the way to the back and there were only 34 rows!!!!!!!!! eek eek We parked it in row 34 and put our stuff up. Someone came to look, but realized we were there, they got first class. mad But at least we got home!! laugh

It is standard airline practice to only assign a certain percentage of seats ahead of time and the remainder at the gate. I forget the usual percentage breakdown, its something like they always keep 30% or so of the seats for gate assignment. I am not sure of the rationale behind that, might be something to do with folks who pay the most expensive fares and book closest to the time.. keeping some good seats open for them since they paid premium and platinmum FF milers. Something along that line I am sure. I wouldn't sweat it, I travel a bunch for business and come across that a lot on the most popular routes. Just get to the airport plenty of time ahead or your first flight and you should get a decent seat.

Andrea in Atlanta

Andrea in Atlanta
OP Offline
Thanks all! I feel reassured now! An BTW I am exit row worthy..heheh...I actually prefer to sit in the exit rows!!! Also this was done through travelocity, its my second time going through them. I did look into other flights leaving around that time just incase there were problems and there were several although the more I looked the stranger they got (from my point of veiw anyways!) For instance...one leaves from North Carolina and comes back to Washington DC (my starting point) then to Miami and then on to Belize. That would really be a roundabout trip but hey! I'll do what ever to get there safely! wink laugh :p Thanks ya'll!

And I have never ridden first class either but I have been on the Concord flight from England to states as a baby (got to meet Muhammed Ali and his daughter)

S
S
One of the many (too many to list) reasons we do not fly American Airlines any more is the time we had made reservations and purchased round trip tickets to Belize. On the return flight, we checked in early (as we always do) and were not given seats. When we went to the counter to find out why we had no seats (the airline was supposedly full) we were told: "But you did not buy SEATS, you only bought reservations and TICKETS. You should have asked for a SEAT if that's what you wanted!"
(Silly me, I forgot to tell the airline booking agent that I did not want to hang on via parachute and actually wanted to sit down INSIDE the airplane to go with my "reservations" and "tickets."

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.