Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151055 04/04/03 11:05 AM
L
lcoler Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We spent the last week of March at Xanadu resort. We had great rooms, a two bedroom, but it was not an ocean view as stated. The people there were great and helpful. There was a semi-tamed racoon that tried to drowned a little girl in the pool. Late that night we saw it at the crazy canuck bar. We've traveled in the carribean a lot and my one comment for people coming to Belize is take lots of money for food. Compared to Mexico the cost was much higher. The snorkeling trip was fabulous and the people were some of the nicest I've met anywhere.

#151056 04/04/03 11:15 AM
M
M
So glad you had a good time. Re the food...there are cheap alternatives. You can get snacks on the beach any day. Also, if you happen to have a kitchenette, you can get fish sold on the beach in the morning, or at the consortium that sells them. Lots of fruit stands around for your breakfast. The pineapple is to die for! Then, the smaller places are very good deals. Ambergris Delights is really cheap...great fried fish. I've heard Papi's is as good, but just never got there this year. Celi's Deli has the oddest, but quite good, tamales on the the weekend. Huge! I think Friday and Saturday, but check on that. Skip their key lime pie. Jambal Jerk has the best key lime pie, but they are a tad high end. Also, Celi's has many other economical goodies the rest of the week. Ruby's is great for breakfast. Then, there are always the stands near the pier (across from Jambal Jerk). I've been told the one closest to Front street really has great beef tacos. Never tried them, but people rave. Don't forget Mickey's. Their Mexican plate will handily feed two, and is a real bargan, and very good. The thing about SP is you can go from $40 to $400 a night for a hotel. You can go from $3.00 to $80.00 for a dinner. You just have to root around and see what fits you best.

Just remembered, let me add an addendum here, just tried Lagniappe last month. Oh, such good gumbo, and a very fair price. Right across from Fido's. Wish I was there now.

#151057 04/04/03 01:29 PM
lcoler, where all did you eat?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#151058 04/05/03 12:25 AM
Our first trip, we couldn't even compare Belize to Mexico...it all depends on "where ya go"....we stay in town at the Holiday....the island can be different from one end to the next-and in different parts, economically. We've been to Mexico several times and would pick AC hands down!! Ya just gotta "learn and explore"...meet the locals etc....C cool

#151059 04/06/03 09:38 PM
How's the little girl?
Dang that musta been something. eek

#151060 04/06/03 10:18 PM
T
T
Yes, I agree the food is pricey. Surprisingly, seemed higher last year (2002) than the previous year. It's almost comparable to US. But you can find cheapo alternatives, if you really look. Also, restaurants on back streets (The Reef) and outside of town (like Papi's for example) are cheaper than those at big resorts or on the water, like Mangos, for instance (but I LOVE Mango's, especially their yummy "liquados") . But I wouldn't consider San Pedro a real "budget" destination anwyay. Placencia or San Ignacio, more so. It just depends what you're looking for. laugh wink

#151061 04/06/03 11:44 PM
I have to agree. I don't find SP a budget destination at all. Airfare is high, acco is over priced comparable to other Carib dests., restaurants . . .well, there's the thing. You can find more than reasonable deals for a meal and it will be tasty. It just won't be fancy.

Also the diving is a good deal, especially if you are booking a block of diving.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.