Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#15165 - 07/15/02 01:39 AM Belize/Costa Rica in August
sdhannah Offline
My husband and I have 12 days in August for vacation, and have been planning a trip to Belize. After research, including lurking quietly about this board, we are thoroughly confused and need advice!

Our plan was to spend roughly half our time in the jungle (Blancaneaux or Chaa Creek), and half our time on the beach (Hamanasi or Kanantik). However, there seem to be mixed reviews of the beaches in Belize. Some say the beaches are great, others report that they are full of seagrass and trash. We are not divers, but wouldn't mind trying it for the first time, and would like to snorkel. However, our main focus for the beach half of our trip is to relax on a clean scenic beach where the water is inviting. We're not really looking for any sort of happening social scene (Cancun is my worst nightmare). From what I've read, Ambergris Caye doesn't seem to be what we're looking for, and the photos I've seen of Placencia look a bit grim (sorry if that's harsh) since the hurricane. Hamanasi and Kanantik are in/near Hopkins. I would appreciate any information/opinions/advice regarding the differences in the beaches in all these areas.

Has anyone stayed/been to Kanantik? I read one review by Lan Sluder, but haven't seen much else. Money isn't a huge concern, but it is seemingly the most expensive place to stay in Belize with the least information available. We don't mind spending the money, but for $600/night (all-inclusive for two) my expectations will be pretty high, especially considering that the price of accomodation anywhere else doesn't even come close!

Because we have read very mixed reviews about the quality of the beaches in Belize, we have been thinking about splitting our time and spending the first half of our trip in Belize in the jungle/mountains, and the other half on the beach in Costa Rica. Any thoughts?

Also, I realize August is "off-season." What does this mean in terms of realistic expectations for sun?

I ended up with more questions than I thought I had! I appreciate your advice/comments.

#15166 - 07/15/02 02:21 AM Re: Belize/Costa Rica in August
trina Offline
You might want to try some of the places at Maya Beach, which is "up the road" (north) from Placencia, and weren't hit hard by the hurricane. This area is very secluded, private and quiet. Pretty beaches. Not much in the way of "night life", but very relaxing. I don't know anything about Hopkins, so I can't advise on that. I have only ever been to Belize in June, so I'm not clear on weather in August, or what "off season" means specifically in that regard. I would NOT go in September or October; that's when they get storms.

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 07-15-2002).]

#15167 - 07/15/02 11:15 AM Re: Belize/Costa Rica in August
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Costa Rica's beaches, especially on the Pacific, are "prettier" than Belize's. That's because Costa Rica doesn't have a barrier reef. So if all you want is wide sandy beaches (mostly khaki or tan colored) Costa Rica would be your better bet.

I'll doubt you find many (or even any) reviews of Kanantik on-line. It just opened and hasn't exactly been swarming with guests. My son and I stayed there, and I thought it was very nice, though I'm unconvinced many people are going to pay US$600 a night double even on an all-inclusive basis.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this summer)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#15168 - 07/15/02 11:58 AM Re: Belize/Costa Rica in August
SeaJay Offline
sdhannah - here's a few pictures and our "view" of the Placencia area of Belize:

Yes, Placencia (the village itself) still has a ways to go to recover from Hurricane Iris, but some areas not far from the village are in very good shape. We stayed at Mariposa (approximately 2 miles north of town). Granted, I'm sure there was more beautiful foliage before Iris, but since we didn't see it BEFORE, we could barely tell Iris had even been there. There were a few palm trees with their tops missing, but the other damage has been cleaned up and they have done a lot of replanting. There aren't HUGE expanses of pristine white beaches as in some parts of the Caribbean, but we found the beach gorgeous....and very very private. In my eyes, it was perfect for "relaxing on a clean, scenic beach". Sea grass does wash up, but it is raked up and taken away daily to prevent sand fleas, etc. As far as "trash"....the only trash I saw was 1 plastic lid that washed in while I was swimming. I have heard Costa Rica is beautiful and we want to go there in the near future, but if you want to avoid the extra traveling on this trip, you might want to reconsider this area.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253691499&idx=23 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253691501&idx=24 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253691503&idx=25 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253691505&idx=26 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253658298&idx=27 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253674897&idx=35 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253567736&idx=38 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291622829&p=4253567734&idx=39

[This message has been edited by SeaJay (edited 07-15-2002).]

#15169 - 07/15/02 02:48 PM Re: Belize/Costa Rica in August
sdhannah Offline
Thanks for the quick replies! I appreciate all of the advice. SeaJay, thanks for the photos - they're terrific!

We have already booked our tickets to Belize, and would prefer to stay in Belize for the entire trip, and save Costa Rica for another time. However, it is enough of a priority to have some quality time doing nothing on the beach that we are willing to go to the expense and trouble of incorporating Costa Rica into the trip if good beaches cannot be had in Belize. Don't need a huge beach, or a wide beach, but definately do not want mucky water or litter. Just want to be lazy, and if we can pull ourselves from a sitting position, maybe snorkel.

I have read on this board and others that the beaches off some of the hotels on Ambergris Caye are not very appealing. But I have read some comments that the beach at Victoria House is nice. How does that compare to the beach at Hamanasi?

Thanks again for your input.

#15170 - 07/15/02 10:52 PM Re: Belize/Costa Rica in August
d-jon Offline
sdhannah, the beaches off Hamanasi, is very nice. They maintain it.

There are some special deals going on for the fall at Hamanasi.

August is usually when most resorts closes to do maintainance.

For a choice between BL and CC I'd go for CC.

contact for more details
Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at djones@btl.net

#15171 - 07/18/02 07:18 PM Re: Belize/Costa Rica in August
susangg Offline
If money is no object, why not pick Cayo Espanto? That's where I would go if I could afford it....I can't imagine any place more beautiful and luxurious....if it looks anything like its photos, which I am sure it does.
Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: susangg@garcia.mpowermail.com

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, RedRover, 1 invisible), 34 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,740 Topics
461,316 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.