Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#15201 - 10/06/02 08:50 PM Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
silkpainter Offline
A friend of mine is one of the Cuban doctors sent to Belize on a humanitarian aid mission. He is the only doctor for the men's prison. Its a discouraging job at best. He spends all day sewing up stab wounds, doing minor surgeries and trying to treat every ailment you could think of, from infections to killer diahreah. All of this, with little or no medicine. So, I went thru my medicine cabinet and gave him anything I could.
Here is a partial list of what he needs.
ANY antibiotics, pain killers, anti-inflammatories, even the ends of prescriptions, partial prescriptions, in the original prescription bottles so he can see the miligrams and dosage.
Over the counter drugs like: triple antibiotic creams, anti fungal creams, hydrocortisone creams
Anti-daihreah medicines like imodium or kaopectate
Gauze bandages
Aspirin
Tylenol
Ibuprophen
medical tape
ace bandages

Things that can only come from a doctor:
Sutures

I'll try to find a drop off point in San Pedro, or the medicine could be put in a package with my name on it and left at your hotel front desk (if you're not too far north) and I'll get it picked up.

I know this is really off the normal tourism subject, but I hate to see someone work so hard trying to help, without the proper resources. I really dont want this thread to turn into a discussion of what the Belize government should or shouldnt do, because we all know that Hattieville is probably one of the worst prisons in Central America, and we all know what should be done, and it isnt being done. So, if you can help in any way, please contact me.
caribbeancolors1@hotmail.com (International) 011-501-206-0206 or from within Belize 206-0206.
--Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com

#15202 - 10/07/02 12:34 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
KBG Offline
Silkpainter
I have visited friends at road gang "work camps" in South Alabama and have viewed Hattieville from outside the fence. I can see Hattieville is "tuff", it is difficult to judge what is acceptable punishment in other cultures. If you come for an area with nothing and go to a prison where there is more than you had at home is it punishment??? Not judging just wondering out loud. Not coming to Belize until 12/31 may still be able to bring some medication/supplies for Cuban doctor. Keep in touch.
KB G frown

#15203 - 10/07/02 01:51 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
ckocian Offline
Logically, it seems that if they have a Cuban doctor assigned to the prison in the first place, there is some intent of the authorities to provide health care to the prisoners.

The outlying rural clinics staffed with a Cuban doctor in other parts of Belize are about as poorly supplied through GOB medical authorities as it sounds like the prison is. In other words, it's a skill that's pretty much going to waste and one wonders why there can't be even basic supplies, never mind prescription drugs. I do feel sorry for the doctors stuck in this government to government arrangement to provide skilled medicine where the need exists and there is no tangible support for it. The only real solution to fill the void is people to people charity where the target needing help will never be able help itself.

#15204 - 10/07/02 02:39 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
JmHanna Offline
I think you will find that the prison management and possibly, the real estate, has been privatized.
Now they need to make $$.
From bad to worse?

#15205 - 10/07/02 03:35 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
silkpainter Offline
Although there are many issues involved with this situation, this is simply an appeal for donations. If you have extra medicines or supplies.... wonderful, if you don't, I understand. Please call or email me, the info is above.
Thanks,
--Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com

#15206 - 10/07/02 05:52 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
rickcheri Offline
I would rather give to the island and the people of Belize, than the Prison. Most of those there deserve what the get..... If you need supplies do it in the right way... Sorry for being so cold, but these people are the ones making Belize unsecured!!!!!
Thanks, Rick

#15207 - 10/07/02 10:11 PM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
silkpainter Offline
Simply not responding to this message is sufficent if you dont want to donate. I still have hope that this thread will not turn into a political or moral debate. Regardless of who the people are that he is treating, any doctor that came to me asking for humanitarian help, I will help. Just like I helped the Saga Society in San Pedro and the Humane Society in Belize City, even though I dont like dogs and cats, but when there is suffering or need and I can help, I do. Nuff said!
Thanks again,
--Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com

#15208 - 10/08/02 01:28 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
KBG Offline
Lee,
Stay up on this board, there are many USA persons who will respond. As I said before Hattieville is nothing like anything in the US. I have seen this first hand and will respond keep it up.KBG shocked

#15209 - 10/08/02 02:20 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
Teenah Offline
Lee,

I'm coming to AC in late December. I'll rustle up some supplies from my medically related friends and will touch base again with you as the time gets closer.

Teenah

#15210 - 10/08/02 02:54 AM Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help
Sandshaker Offline
I have to disagree with you on this issue Rick.
Lee is not asking for donations for the prisoners. She is asking for donations for a doctor who is a friend of hers.
Regardless of where he practices or should we say...the place he gets stuck in this exchange program...he still needs the proper tools, equipment and supplies to work with.

Unfortunately Belize is not blessed with doctors who come from top notch medical schools or doctors who have a lot of years of experience under their belts doing critical care medicine.

The Cuban doctors that come here seem to do a fairly decent job and I for one would like to keep them here in case I need them one day.
If Belize continues to bring these doctors here and then never supports them with what they need, they will get discouraged and stop coming. What would be the point?

It's not about patching up prisoners. It's about appreciating decent health care when it comes knocking on your door. There is a bigger picture here than a prison doctor. Belize needs all the good doctors it can get!

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean about Hattieville being privatized. Tell me more. I'm definitely not sure how they could make money to support themselves. I'd like to know details about that arrangement.

Cheers! smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 45 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,027 Topics
462,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.