Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15281 10/20/02 02:58 AM
OP Offline
I'm thinking of taking a couple of bus trips.

First, Belize City to San Ignacio
Second, San Ignacio to Placencia
Return Placencia to Belize City

How long are each of these legs? And are the buses comfortable and have bathrooms?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
well....... this ones tough......
express or the milk run...
if you have the time get the milk run...
get off now and then ...when yu see a store commin up...
talk to the mainland pipl ...
look around,,,,
enjoy it all...
stand pon di highway to get the next buss......
you will love the ride....
bathrooms.....hahahHAHAHA
ain neva seen a bathroom in any bus i used b4..innna bz...
but then,,,
mQQse nuh go hi-styale...but allways majestic...

laugh have a great trip...travel happy travel smaat laugh

From Belize City to San Ignacio is about 2 1/2 hours by regular bus, maybe 1 3/4 by express.

San Ignacio to Placencia, via Belmopan and Dangriga, is around 4 1/2 hours, plus waiting and connection time.

From Placencia to Belize City is around 5 1/2 hours via Belmopan, a little less via the coastal highway, plus waiting/connection times.

Novelo's and Southern Transport (owned by Novelo's) are the main bus lines on these routes.

Except for some express buses, most buses in Belize are old school buses or sometimes old Greyhound-type buses. Most do not have bathrooms. Comfortable? Not really, but interesting and cheap.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
OP Offline
Uh oh. I'm a little long in the tooth for that sort of trip, as enjoyable as seeing the country-side would be. Looks like I'll be springing for the plane to Placencia.

Is there another way to get to San Ignacio for a night or two? How about if we head in on a tour for the cave tubing and just stay overnight? Then what would be another way back to Belize City?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

The bus trip to San Ignacio really isn't bad. There are buses leaving all day. If you take an express it's virtually non-stop and takes no longer than driving.

You can get a van to San Ignacio. Aguada Hotel there is one of several hotels that run vans, usually with pick-ups from the international airport and the Marine Terminal. Rates are around US$25 to $30 one-way. Need to book ahead.

Going on a tour could work. However, most of the cave tubing trips are to either Ian Anderson's (on the Hummingbird south of Belmopan) or to Jaguar Paw which is off mile 37 of the Western Highway, not all the way to San Ignacio.

'Course the easiest way to get to Cayo is to rent a car.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
T
T
The trip from San Ignacio to Belize City is direct and pretty. Not bad at all. It's fun to take the bus occasionally to meet the local folks. Buy a snack from the vendors who come on at the bus stations, watch the beautiful greeen countryside fly by. Talk to the kids who are curious to meet visitors. The trip from Placencia to Belize City is ENDLESS. I recommend flying instead on that route. Somehow, our transfer at Dangriga from one bus to another always get screwed up. YOu have to transfer there en route from Placenica to BC. We had fun and met some cool people on buses...I recommend, except on that Placencia to BC route. wink

Can someone tell me how to contact the bus companies to get the schedule from Belize City to San Ignacio? I tried a website mentioned in another post and couldn't locate any kind of schedule.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Basically there is just one bus company in Belize now, Novelo's, and its subsidiaries such as Northern Transport and Southern Transport. There are some small local companies serving tertiary routes.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
S
S
My husband and I took the express bus from Dangriga to St.Ignacio and it wasn't bad at all except that we forgot to change buses in Belmopan and ended up en route to Belize City!! It was a half hour before we realized we were going in the wrong direction!! The bus driver was so sweet..he waved down an on-coming bus, stopped, and unloaded our backpacks. We crossed the street and jumped on the other bus going in the RIGHT direction. We have only good things to say about the bus system in Belize. You get to meet the people who actually live in the country and you get to see the small communities along the way. Take the Express if you can but we did both without problems. I wouldn't worry about booking tickets in advance. Just ask around and someone will tell you the schedule. Hey..we didn't even have hotel reservations when we were in Belize in February!!! Enjoy your trip.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.