Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15340 10/22/02 07:53 PM
S
SMance Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My wife and I are planning a trip to Belize for Feb 1, 2002 to Feb. 8, 2003. We already have our airline tix thanks to frequent flier miles so now I need to find a place to stay. We are looking for a place to get away, do a little diving (we are certifed divers but don't want to spend our whole week diving), beach sunning, etc. A wild night life is not what we need. I was looking at the Jaguar Reef Lodge - it seemed to look like what we are looking for but would like to hear from others who have stayed there. My other choice was a resort on Ambergris Caye - any suggestions there?

#15341 10/22/02 08:10 PM
I'm on the same page with you... I am thinking of making a trip in February too! The northwest is usually raining and cold about then, so some Belizian sun would do just fine! I am looking for a bed & breakfast type accomidation around Corozal Town... Anyone out there know of a nice one? Also I enjoy the quieter vacation, a little scuba and hanging around in a hammock sounds like heaven to me!

#15342 10/22/02 10:14 PM
D
D
my other suggestion is Hamanassi Resort. It's in the same village of Hopkins too.

Beautiful setting.

If you need more info
[email protected]

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]
#15343 10/23/02 11:24 AM
In Hopkins, I agree with d-jon -- Hamanasi is terrific.

For Mexicana50, in Corozal Town and environs below are some of my picks. However, as correctly noted in another thread, there is no diving around Corozal. People there go to Ambergris Caye or to Mexico for diving.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First
www.belizefirst.com

HHH Casablanca by the Sea, Consejo Village (Mail: P.O. Box 212, Corozal Town); tel. 501-501-423-1018; fax 423-1003; e-mail [email protected] ; www.cbbythesea.com. If you usually end up needing a vacation from your vacation, consider this little inn at end of the road in Consejo Village, about 7 miles north of Corozal Town on the bay. Corozal Town is a delightful place with not that much to do, and Consejo Village (Consejo is Spanish for advice) is Corozal in slow motion. At Casablanca, owned by Americans John and Beverly Temte and managed by Belizean Ervin Wade, there's almost nothing to do, which at a certain time in one's life is just the thing. There's no pool, so you don't need to feel guilty about not getting in your laps. There's no beach (though local residents swim in the bay), so you don't have to worry about getting the perfect tan. There are no phones in your room, and the TV, the last couple of times we were there, got only a few fuzzy Spanish language channels from Mexico (though Casablanca does promise satellite TV and HBO.) You can just sit under a little palapa on the bay all day long and read, or retire to your room, as you please, and relax on a comfortable bed. At night, watch the twinkling lights of bustling Chetumal, capital of Mexico's Quintana Roo state, across the bay. All the rooms feature saltillo tile floors and custom-made furnishings. The carved mahogany doors, though showing a bit of wear from the sun and salt, are museum-quality. The 10 rooms (the hotel recently expanded), if on the small side, are tastefully furnished and attractive and all have air-conditioning. Some have queen beds, others two twins. Rates around US$60 to $75 double in-season, US$45-$55 June-August.

HHH Tony's Inn & Beach Resort, South End (P.O. Box 12), Corozal Town; tel. 501-422-2055, fax 422-2829; e-mail [email protected] ; www.tonysinn.com . For 30 years, Tony's has been a popular stopping place for visitors passing through from Mexico. Of the 24 rooms with private baths, the "Deluxe Plus" digs are the way go to here - they're big, with cable TV, king or two double beds, tile floors and some of the coldest air-conditioning in Belize. The standard rooms aren't A/C. The old "Y Not" beach bar has been replaced by a classy new bar and grill by the bay, though it still has a thatch roof. Tony's has a marina and all the usual hotel amenities. The hotel claims a beach, although it's really more of a patch of ground with imported sand. Rates US$50-70 double in-season, US$10 less rest of year. Tony's, with Hok'ol K'in (below) are two hotels in Corozal that can be heavily booked anytime, in part due to their popularity with mission and tour groups.

HH+ Hok'ol K'in Guesthouse, P.O. Box 145, Corozal Town; tel. 501-422-3329; fax 422-3569; e-mail [email protected] . Hok'ol K'in (a Yucatec Maya phrase for "coming of the rising sun") is a nine-room motel just across the street from the water. It's run by a former Peace Corps worker/teacher, Marty Conway, and her Belizean partner, Francisco Puck. There's no air-conditioning, but most times you don't miss it thanks to the stiff breeze from the bay. The restaurant serves inexpensive breakfasts, burgers and snacks. Unusual for Belize, one room is wheelchair-accessible. No TVs in rooms, but the guest lounge has TV, VCR and a small library. There are private baths, but used tissue goes in trash cans, not toilets. The hotel offers inexpensive and interesting tours, including one that visits local schools. It enjoys a high occupancy due to business from medical missionaries and other groups and from Europeans. Owners have recently put the hotel on the market (asking US$925,000), but no immediate changes are expected. Rates: US$40 double year-round.

HH + Smuggler's Den, Consejo Village; tel. 501-614-8146; e-mail smugglersdenbelize.tripod.com or [email protected] . If you want to get away from it all, with nicely done cabaña accommodations near the water, Smuggler's Den in Consejo could be the perfect ticket for you. The bungalows here have stucco walls and a thatch top, with fully equipped kitchens and private baths. There's even a small human-assisted beach, along with a bar and restaurant. We're told the restaurant serves some of the best prime rib in Belize and gets really busy on weekends. Rates around US$40. About 7 miles north of Corozal Town in Consejo-turn left just before you get to the village.

HH International Cozy Corners Guesthouse (aka TJ's), 2nd Street North (P.O. Box 283), Corozal Town; tel. 501-422-0150; e-mail [email protected] . Formerly just a neighborhood eatery, TJ's Restaurant, the American and Mexican owners here expanded into a small hotel operation with three good-sized guest rooms, each with private bath, air conditioning and tile floors. There is a small swimming pool in front and attractively landscaped gardens in back. The guest floor also has a large commons area. Rates around US$45. The guesthouse has been put on the market.

H+ Hotel Maya, P.O. Box 112, Corozal Town; tel. 501-422-2082; e-mail [email protected] ; www.hotelmaya.com . This 20-room concrete hotel across the street from the bay toward the south end of town is definitely not deluxe, but the rooms we've seen are clean, all have private baths and cable TV, some have A/C, and there's a pretty good restaurant, serving Mexican dishes, on site. Rosita May (pronounced "My") runs it. About US$25 double for a basic room with fan, to around $50 for an upgraded room with A/C and TV. It's located across the street from the bay, between Hok'ol K'in and Tony's.

H + Marvirton Guest House & Lounge, # 16, 2nd Street South, Corozal Town, tel. 501-422-3365, e-mail [email protected] . This budget guest house in downtown Corozal has eight rooms, four with private bath. There's no A/C but rooms have ceiling fans and cable TV. The 1960s vintage house has been charmingly renovated by the Belizean couple who own it, Anthony and Virginia Bradley. They provide what they note is a family atmosphere. A pool, tiny but doubtless big enough to do the job on a hot day, is in a garden area behind the house, next to the restaurant and lounge. Rates are reasonable - US$25 single or double in rooms with shared bath, a little more with private bath.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#15344 10/23/02 04:59 PM
S
SMance Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What do you think of the Jaguar Reef Lodge?

#15345 10/23/02 08:44 PM
D
D
It's OK, but I think Hamanassi is much prettier.

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]
#15346 10/23/02 09:24 PM
D
D
Lan gave you some really good tips!!
Ron

#15347 10/24/02 06:33 PM
smance-you may want to look at the placencia village area or maya beach about 6 miles north of placencia. very laid back compared to ambergris and the diving is within reach although a much longer boat ride it is quite accessible(sp) hope this helps duane

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
#15348 11/14/02 10:41 AM
S
S
Consider Ambergris Caye, there you can dive and enjoy the sea and sand and take 1 day boat trips to the Belize mainland for ruins, cave tubing etc. Check out the web site for Caribbean Villas Hotel via this web site - sounds as if they have the kind of place you are looking for. CV has an arrangement with Amigos del Mar dive shop for cheaper dive rates - you can run a tab and pay at the end. CV can also link you with excellent guides for mainland excursions, fishing, etc. You'll love Belize!!

#15349 11/15/02 04:36 AM
LAN,
Muchas Gracias !! I am happy to have some alternatives to my basic plan of staying with friends. A little going off on my own might be fun. ANY motorcycles for rent? Just wondering....I think it would be a good way to get around cheap.

#15350 11/15/02 11:15 AM
Motorcycle anyone?

#15351 11/15/02 11:40 AM
I don't know of any motorcycles being rented in Belize. I was told about a little motorcycle shop in Belize City that sometimes rented motos but I wasn't able to run it down.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#15352 11/15/02 11:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
ah fren ah mine used to own a biz called ''bike belize'' he got married an moved to the states...but someone may have taken over the biz venture and gotten it oup an running....it was on cleghorn st. in city.....beside the baukadeer inn...maybe phone them and aks if it is still opporating ...??
if yu find out ...let mi know... motor cycle is a great way to see the mainland/jungle....bin deh done dat..and it was great...all 483 miles of it....

#15353 11/15/02 09:38 PM
Gracias! I did a little riding too the last time I was there compliments of a gringo dude that wanted to Hang out with my friends and let me take it for a while. LOTS of fun and takes the dirt roads in stride. I didn't go no 400 plus miles though.. from where to where did you ride MQQSE?? Just wondering if you can recommend a route to see the most in one trip?? I don't have the funds to stay for six months this time, but maybe I'll get an inheritance or something..

THANKS! wink

#15354 11/16/02 09:24 AM
About biking Belize - cars and trucks kill about two bike-riders every month on the Western and Northern Highways. People drive fast, cars are old and the road is narrow.
Recommend you rent a vehicle or take the bus.

#15355 11/16/02 01:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
MI SON [then bout 6 yrs old] AND I WENT UP OLD NORTHEN HWY.. TOOK A PATH NEAR BOOMER TURNOFF....WENT WEST....31/2 WKS LATER ..CAME OUT NEAR INDEPENDANCE....HAD A BLAST.. DONT HAVE A CLUE HOW TO TELL WHERE WE WAS...AND THE MOSS GREW ON ANY SIDE AH DI TREE IT WANTED ....
I WUD ADVISE THOUGH... TEKING CAMPING GEAR WITH YOU....OR MAYBE A BLANKEY AND A TARP...MAYBE SOME FOOD...
WE TOOK A SPARE T-SHIRT AND UNDERWHEAR......AND XTRA GASS[tied to the bike]
BUT OTHERS MAY NEED MORE ....
truely the bess trip we had ever taken...

#15356 11/16/02 02:24 PM
Yep! Sounds like an adventure! I don't usually plan much in advance either...but as time passes I am thinking it might be a good idea! HA!! So was your son's recollection as positive? I took my son to Belize at age 5 and he still says it was the best time ever...beat out Disney land! cool

#15357 11/16/02 03:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
mexicanna-
yah ...the best trip ever....
met some killah pipl... took some killah medicine....ate some killah food...exchanges greetings awi some really kool anmals birds snakes spiders lizzards...fish...primates.....kindah neat to have a colord aricari hop down a branch and rub it's beak `gauinst yur finger...asnd hav a wild tapir ... roll over for a massage... or hav a 3 ft coral snake ...allow yur bwai to fondl it....

but most high of the trip//// was the lee maya gal .. 11 or 12 at night ... inna pine ridge mtn top ..small fire goin ...we are frezzin ... bring mi bwai an ae a bowl of the best bz food i eva ate...out of nowhere...20 or so min. latah //she com awi blanket......an took bak the bowl.....and a piece ah mi heart..

still brings a tear or 3..
''THAT'' was the heart of bz/// that's when i knew we were right to come bak to bz to mek sure .. we wasnt wearin dem rose color'd glasses...
belize is surely a spiecial place on this plannet....
and i'm proud to be allowed the privalege to reside there..

#15358 11/16/02 03:32 PM
Yeh, it's a different side of Belize,most of the folks on this board have no idea it even exists! That is what makes it so special to me. Thanks for the memories! It's great to see the fish too, but livin in the jungle is by far my favorite..right next to the REAL people! Tamales baked in leaves over an open fire, coconut rice in a big iron pot, the only hint of civilaztion is the occaisional coca cola. cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.