Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#153644 - 06/23/03 04:32 PM Arrival in October
HiddenRest Offline
Hi everyone, my wife and I are thinking about going to Belize in October. October because we own a cabin resort in Arizona and only slow down in October.

Anyway, is this a good time to go to look at the area, look for property/rentals, etc?

What will the weather be like?

Thanks alot,
Paul

#153645 - 06/24/03 03:20 PM Re: Arrival in October
Diane Campbell Offline
USUALLY October is about 50% sunny days and 50% stormy-overcast. It is the riskiest month of the year for storms in Belize.

Forecasters have predicted that 2003 will see hurricane activity 50% above normal. Hurricane SEason in the tropical atlantic is from June 1 to November 30. Every rebion within that the Tropical Atlantic experiences differnt patterns during that time. For Belize, most of "Hurricane Season" is nothing to worry about ----- lovely weather, great diving, etc. Our troubles come late in the season.

September is the time of "peak storm/hurricane activity" in the Caribbean basin. October appears to be the "peak" time for Belize.

We have entered a "more active" weather phase (predicted to last several years) in the region.

Belize --- not much serious weather trouble for many years, as we are situated in an area that is supposed to be "difficult" for a storm to reach due to land masses, etc ........ But then.....

October 20-something 1999 - Hurricane Mitch. At first it appeared that Belize would suffer a direct hit from this mega-storm with sustained winds over 200 MPH(dubbed storm of the century). A high-pressure system stalled it (allowing it to get stronger and stronger) and then pushed Mitch down to the Bay Islands off Honduras. Impact on Belize - evacuations / the country esentially shut down for a week. 90% of the piers on AC were lost. Extensive flooding on mainland from intense rains.

October 1 - 2000 - Hurricane Keith - category 4 - stalled over AC and Caye Caulker. Occasionally this event can be seen on the travel channel in a segment called "Vacation Disasters". REALLY bad. Unfortunately most of us on AC got front row seats, as Keith went from a little nothing of a storm predicted to pass us by, to a cat-4 headed directly our way in the middle of the night.

October 8 - 2001 - Hurricane Iris - Category 4 - direct hit on Monkey River Town / South Placencia Peninsula - quick moving, extensive damage, but "could have been worse".

2002 - nothing of note hit us - sigh. We liked that a lot. AND October was absolutely beautiful weather out here on AC.

Generally speaking - on AC, at least on night in October we get a rain of around 15 inches - that is without it being a "storm" in the classic sense. Boats sink, roads are mucked up, and normally dry parcels of land are temporary frog-ponds.

Are you going to get killed in a storm in October? Highly unlikely. Will you get to see the country easily and without distraction/interruption/rutted muddy roads - also unlikely.

Try November.

#153646 - 06/28/03 02:36 PM Re: Arrival in October
HiddenRest Offline
Thanks Diane, very informative. I wish we could change our dates, but problem is we own this resort and October and April are our only slow times. I want to get down there as soon as I can.

Thanks again Diane.

#153647 - 06/28/03 02:49 PM Re: Arrival in October
Diane Campbell Offline
Since 2003 is a really strange one for weather everywhere, maybe you will see a glorious October. I sure hope so!

#153648 - 06/29/03 01:04 AM Re: Arrival in October
rickcheri Offline
Although Diane is definitely right, we've been going in October for last 5 years...and LOVE IT!!! You're taking a chance anywhere in the carib during that time!! But we go at the end of October!! C

#153649 - 06/30/03 12:07 AM Re: Arrival in October
HiddenRest Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by rickcheri:
Although Diane is definitely right, we've been going in October for last 5 years...and LOVE IT!!! You're taking a chance anywhere in the carib during that time!! But we go at the end of October!! C
Thanks, October is the only time we can get away from our resort long enough to make it worth while. I take it you enjoy Belize or you wouldn't be going every year.

We hope to really enjoy it also.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Pokey, 1 invisible), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,027 Topics
462,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.