Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153644 06/23/03 10:32 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Hi everyone, my wife and I are thinking about going to Belize in October. October because we own a cabin resort in Arizona and only slow down in October.

Anyway, is this a good time to go to look at the area, look for property/rentals, etc?

What will the weather be like?

Thanks alot,
Paul

#153645 06/24/03 09:20 AM
USUALLY October is about 50% sunny days and 50% stormy-overcast. It is the riskiest month of the year for storms in Belize.

Forecasters have predicted that 2003 will see hurricane activity 50% above normal. Hurricane SEason in the tropical atlantic is from June 1 to November 30. Every rebion within that the Tropical Atlantic experiences differnt patterns during that time. For Belize, most of "Hurricane Season" is nothing to worry about ----- lovely weather, great diving, etc. Our troubles come late in the season.

September is the time of "peak storm/hurricane activity" in the Caribbean basin. October appears to be the "peak" time for Belize.

We have entered a "more active" weather phase (predicted to last several years) in the region.

Belize --- not much serious weather trouble for many years, as we are situated in an area that is supposed to be "difficult" for a storm to reach due to land masses, etc ........ But then.....

October 20-something 1999 - Hurricane Mitch. At first it appeared that Belize would suffer a direct hit from this mega-storm with sustained winds over 200 MPH(dubbed storm of the century). A high-pressure system stalled it (allowing it to get stronger and stronger) and then pushed Mitch down to the Bay Islands off Honduras. Impact on Belize - evacuations / the country esentially shut down for a week. 90% of the piers on AC were lost. Extensive flooding on mainland from intense rains.

October 1 - 2000 - Hurricane Keith - category 4 - stalled over AC and Caye Caulker. Occasionally this event can be seen on the travel channel in a segment called "Vacation Disasters". REALLY bad. Unfortunately most of us on AC got front row seats, as Keith went from a little nothing of a storm predicted to pass us by, to a cat-4 headed directly our way in the middle of the night.

October 8 - 2001 - Hurricane Iris - Category 4 - direct hit on Monkey River Town / South Placencia Peninsula - quick moving, extensive damage, but "could have been worse".

2002 - nothing of note hit us - sigh. We liked that a lot. AND October was absolutely beautiful weather out here on AC.

Generally speaking - on AC, at least on night in October we get a rain of around 15 inches - that is without it being a "storm" in the classic sense. Boats sink, roads are mucked up, and normally dry parcels of land are temporary frog-ponds.

Are you going to get killed in a storm in October? Highly unlikely. Will you get to see the country easily and without distraction/interruption/rutted muddy roads - also unlikely.

Try November.

#153646 06/28/03 08:36 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks Diane, very informative. I wish we could change our dates, but problem is we own this resort and October and April are our only slow times. I want to get down there as soon as I can.

Thanks again Diane.

#153647 06/28/03 08:49 AM
Since 2003 is a really strange one for weather everywhere, maybe you will see a glorious October. I sure hope so!

#153648 06/28/03 07:04 PM
Although Diane is definitely right, we've been going in October for last 5 years...and LOVE IT!!! You're taking a chance anywhere in the carib during that time!! But we go at the end of October!! C

#153649 06/29/03 06:07 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Originally posted by rickcheri:
Although Diane is definitely right, we've been going in October for last 5 years...and LOVE IT!!! You're taking a chance anywhere in the carib during that time!! But we go at the end of October!! C
Thanks, October is the only time we can get away from our resort long enough to make it worth while. I take it you enjoy Belize or you wouldn't be going every year.

We hope to really enjoy it also.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.