Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
WHEN I TRAVEL TO CAYO, I PLAN ON SPENDING A FEW NIGHTS THERE. I'M LOOKING FOR A FRIENDLY, CLEAN ATMOSPHERE, & I'M TRAVELING WITH A CHILD. FROM WHAT I'VE RESEARCHED, IT SEEMS LIKE MY BEST CHOICE WOULD BE EITHER CLARISSA FALLS, BANANA BANK, MIDAS OR JAGUAR PAW :rolleyes: (IN THE $$ RANGE DESIRED). ALSO, HOW FAR IS IAN ANDERSON'S FROM THE OTHER PLACES I MENTIONED?...IS IAN ANDERSON'S WORTH IT TO STAY THERE FOR A NIGHT?? CAN ANYONE OFFER ADVICE OR SHARE EXPERIENCES AT ANY OF THESE PLACES?

I spent 4 nights at Ian's Caves Branch but not with a child. It was great, Ian and all of his staff are wonderful! Went horseback riding at Banana Bank from Caves Branch, nice, not too far away. Have read numerous posts from people who have taken kids to Caves Branch who enjoyed it and heard stories of kids from Ian. Don't know much about your other choices.

S
S
Banana Bank is a regular visit for us. Little of everything: river, jungle, parrots (wild and in zoo cage), jaguar (in zoo cage), horseback riding, 4,000 acres of land, variety of day trips available, great local food served family style, excellent hosting by owners John and Carolyn and their staff, Carolyn's wonderful art gallery & cute cabanas. Not familiar with your other considerations. Have fun!

Ian Andersons we call the garden of eden- without the negatives!

great cabanas, food, terrific swimming hole with rope swing, excellent guides and adventures. have done their black hole drop, caving, jungle hikes of several varieties. the highest recommendation.

For pictures, go to //AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/photos/378.html and go forward several frames to see pictures of the estate grounds, the cabins, the flora and fauna, and some pictures from their tours.

And for another batch of pictures from caving with Ian Anderson's as well as pics of the grounds, go to //AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/photos/546.html and click thru several frames.

T
OP Offline
T
MARTY-GREAT PIX, I ENJOYED THEM :p WOULD U OR ANYONE ELSE SAY THAT IT IS CRUCIAL FOR ME TO MAKE RESERVATIONS @ IAN ANDERSON'S OR OTHER PLACES AROUND CAYO/PLACENCIA B4 I LEAVE? I'M NOT SURE EXACTLY WHEN I WILL BE WHERE....

The four places you list are very different -- entirely different price ranges (Jaguar Paw is maybe 8 or 10 times more expensive than Mida's), level of amenities, setting, location and in other ways. Clarissa Falls and Mida's are budget level (well, Clarissa Falls is more expensive than it used to be) in the San Ignacio area. Neither of these is in a "jungle" setting. The other three are in the Belmopan area. Jaguar Paw is a near luxury-level place (with even A/C in the jungle). Ian Anderson's has a variety of accommodations from camping to nice cabanas. Banana Bank is more of a mid-level lodge.

Depending on the age of your child, Ian Anderson's might or might not be appropriate. Younger kids may not be able to participate in the more rugged outdoor tours.

I'd probably vote for Banana Bank as a pleasant, moderately priced place with a lot advantages for families and kids -- horses, animals on the grounds, etc. But Ian Anderson's place could also work.

On a given night, any place in Belize can be sold out. That's especially true at peak travel times such as holidays and from late January through March. I would at the very least call ahead while in the country to be sure there is space available.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this fall)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize -- sold out, new edition coming early 2003
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists -- sold out, new edition coming early 2003
Best Hotels of Belize -- coming late 2002

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Ian's place is fairly small and very popular so it would probably be advantageous to make reservations there. How old is your child? They may or may not be able to do some of the more strenuous caving tours. Ian has the liberty of deciding if kids (or anyone for that matter) can participate on the tours based on ability, age, fitness, etc. Some of the more advanced tours are probably not suitable for younger kids.

Jaguar Paw is located on the same stretch of river/caves as Ian's. The accommodations are very different though. Jaguar Paw is pretty deluxe (for Belize) with fancy restaurant/bar & rooms, pool - spectacular location at the mouth of a huge cave. It is not nearly in the same price range as Clarissa Falls or Midas. Ian's is somewhere in the middle of these with bunkrooms for $15/nt up to Cabana Suites for $108/nt - much more wild, rustic atmosphere (no electricity). Banana Bank is located quite close to Jag Paw & Ian's and is mid ranged in price with various types of accommodations - located on a different river (not with caves). Clarissa Falls & Midas are about an hour further SW than the others, closer to San Ignacio. CF has basic, clean, budget cabanas & great inexpensive food - very nice location on the river by waterfalls (no caves). I am not personally familiar with the accommodations at Midas. Depending on the time of year you go, you probably need reservations at Ian's and maybe Jaguar Paw, but probably not the others.

www.barbsbelize.com

Tropicalove,

I think your caps key is stuck. We can hear you fine,just stop shouting please.

Jim

**Jim
very funny jim!!! I will have to remember when I want to shout to make sure the CAPS LOCK is ON!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.